Where did Middle Earth BRP Section Come From

Archivist

• 9 months later...

I did the Middle-earth BRP documents. It was something I was working on for my own role playing ground.

I managed to finish full imaged versions for several chapters, and had the skeleton of the remaining chapters also. But I've put the project to one side for now as my rpg group is adventuring in another fantasy universe.

So its a from scratch fan work that some day I plan to finish.

Edited by Fergo113
  • Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 3/24/2016 at 8:53 AM, colinabrett said:

Hi,

I wrote one of the BRP conversions. It's the one entitled "Lord of the Rings RPG Basic Roleplay Crossover Rules" (imaginative title, eh?). When I uploaded the PDF, there was already a Middle Earth category, so I placed it there.

Colin

I can't find it now! Can you help me? 😉
Thanks

Rather a necrothread, tho I've seen worse!

On 3/23/2016 at 10:58 AM, Archivist said:

There's a download for a section on character creation for Middle Earth characters using a basic roleplaying-type system. Does anyone know what product that comes from?

n.b. most of the downloads here are AFAIK fannish, and not from any commercial "product."
You'll want to hit Chaosium.com (or thedesignmechanism.com, or alephtargames.com, or d101games.com, or etc etc etc) to get official "product."
(some of the fannish downloads are specific to official products, such as "Phil's Fixed Folio" which is an alt.version of the (official) "Folio" character-sheet for RQG.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Guest Vile Traveller

TBH it's not much of a BRP fan forum these days. Those days are long gone. We're into the BRP Central equivalent of post-#100 White Dwarf now. 😉

Edited by Vile Traveller

5 hours ago, Jeff said:

Middle Earth is a registered trademark and as we all know the Lord of the Rings and related works are copyright of others. Lets not publish unlicensed BRP adaptations of other people's IP please.

*sigh*

I know why these kind of laws exist and by and large I don't take much issue with the necessity.

But a fan made adaptation converting a milieu into a game system is really just free advertising. No one is making money and no one is losing money. And there's no such thing as 'bad publicity'.

OTOH, and speaking as a lifelong Star Trek honk, yeah, Axanar is better than ST: Discovery, so there is that....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, svensson said:

*sigh*

I know why these kind of laws exist and by and large I don't take much issue with the necessity.

But a fan made adaptation converting a milieu into a game system is really just free advertising. No one is making money and no one is losing money. And there's no such thing as 'bad publicity'.

OTOH, and speaking as a lifelong Star Trek honk, yeah, Axanar is better than ST: Discovery, so there is that....

This issue at this point, I think, is that this site is admin'ed by Chaosium staff, and linked as a Chaosium-official forum.
Everything here is a notch less "informal/fannish" than it was before that change.

Just because it's fan-made and "free" ... doesn't mean it doesn't smell a bit like Chaosium product, if the lawyers start sniffing around.   😞

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, g33k said:

This issue at this point, I think, is that this site is admin'ed by Chaosium staff, and linked as a Chaosium-official forum.
Everything here is a notch less "informal/fannish" than it was before that change.

Just because it's fan-made and "free" ... doesn't mean it doesn't smell a bit like Chaosium product, if the lawyers start sniffing around.   😞

More precisely, just because it is "fan-made and free" doesn't mean that it is not an unlicensed derivative work under Copyright Law. 

• Like 2