First annual update: Today marks one year since the Great Old Ones returned to Chaosium

MOB

On 6/4/2016 at 11:52 PM, Mankcam said:

If people are uncertain about changing from the old mechanics, then RQ2 is a perfectly valid option now that it is being released as RQ Classic. In fact perhaps Chaosium could release a CoC Classic as well, a slim book based upon the first or second edition, with the original text and art etc. Could be quite charming if it is a slim hardcover volume.

I would buy this. I’ve been on the lookout for a nice decently-priced Games Workshop Call of Cthulhu 3rd Edition hardback for years, without luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Falconer said:

I would buy this. I’ve been on the lookout for a nice decently-priced Games Workshop Call of Cthulhu 3rd Edition hardback for years, without luck.

Yes I have two second hand copies of that version, it was the best in flavour and production, and IMO the only edition that I feel is a worthy successor is the new CoC 7E book.

Given how well the kickstarter for RQ Classic has been, I definately think there is a nostalgic market for a CoC Classic to sit nicely next to CoC 7E

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 hours ago, Falconer said:

5 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Yes I have two second hand copies of that version, it was the best in flavour and production...

3rd is definitely a beautiful edition. For me, it has the most evocative cover art of any edition - that preceded it or followed it. I snagged a copy off Amazon 2 years ago from a 3rd party seller for $33, which I thought was very decently-priced. The going rate now seems to be about $50-60.

I'd be tempted by a "CoC Classic" Kickstarter, but that'd be tempered by the fact that I own both the 25th and 30th anniversary editions of CoC. While not thin volumes, and being for 6th edition, they are beautiful books as well.

Such a Kickstarter would also be a way to quickly get back into print classics such as Shadows of Yog-Sothoth, The Asylum, The Fungi from Yuggoth, Trail of Tsathogghua, Fragments of Fear, and Fatal Experiments without undergoing the tortured and uninspired process of “updating” them to 7e (again following the model where in which they are reprinting the RQ Classics without updating but stating that they are basically already compatible with the upcoming edition).

Yes I could see this happening. Most of the back catalog could just sit there as is, still in print yet no changes. Conversion of game stats between CoC Classic and CoC 7E is so simple that the utility of keeping that back catalog active without effort spent updating it is a big asset to Chaosium I think. A few of the watermark titles could do with a 7E update just to keep them current, however not much changes in actual stats, its more a layout thing.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Doing a CoC Classics KS is not about desire. It's a matter of time and resources. Chaosium needs to keep the production pipeline of new material flowing before it can devote much of its resources to such "Classics" projects. We don't want to become known as only a "reprint" company.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

17 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Doing a CoC Classics KS is not about desire. It's a matter of time and resources. Chaosium needs to keep the production pipeline of new material flowing before it can devote much of its resources to such "Classics" projects. We don't want to become known as only a "reprint" company.

Emphatically agree! Chaosium have put the band back together but should not become a tribute band to themselves. I applaud that you try new things like 13th Age Glorantha, Eurogames and whatnot.

Yeah I was just spitballing that a CoC Classic may be a cool kickstarter at some stage, just as cool and as popular as RQ Classic has been. Perhaps it is something to consider a few years from now perhaps.  

Keeping some of the CoC back catalog alive in print makes sense though. The wealth of resources there is certainly an asset. But I would hate to see too much effort spent in just rolling out back catalog at the expense of new material.  I enjoy nostalgia, but don't want to wallow in it, and I would much rather Chaosium keeps looking ahead rather than back :)

Edited by Mankcam

I think that converting older releases to the seventh-edition rules would give them a new lease of life, and make them more interesting than straight reprints. They don't all need to be fully revamped á la the magnificent second edition of Horror on the Orient Express (though certainly I, and I suspect many others, would love to see Masks of Nyarlathotep given similar treatment). But it'd be great to have Cthulhu by GaslightDreamlands, and other setting books updated to the new rules.

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason