SRD online

RosenMcStern

I have started to incorporate the suggestions coming from Olivier and Arasmo into the text of chapter 3, the most important part of the rules. The text is now designed to be read "a morsel at a time" to facilitate understanding and gradual introduction into play. For this reason, I will release the new chapter 3 incrementally, and publicly, on the web, rather than through PDFs as I have done so far. This means that non-subscribers can see the SRD as it is released, although it can still be subject to change before publication.

The new SRD is here: http://www.rpgmeeting.org/en/rd100-intro . It will be updated regularly, so visit it even when I do not post updates. As usual, comments are welcome.

If the above link does not work (I am having trouble with SEO urls) try:

http://www.rpgmeeting.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=4&Itemid=436&lang=en

Edited by RosenMcStern
  • Like 2

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I know that the game system is still under active development, but this is a promising start. It manages to be both familiar and different, finding a new slant on familiar game mechanics - which is no mean feat!

I really like the concept of conflicts, but the description of the mechanics is not as clear as it might be. It definitely needs a few examples to clarify how the rules work in practice.

Looking forward to see how you will handle character creation itself.

Edited by Prime Evil

I'd also like to know how group Conflicts are handled - situations where multiple adventurers are involved in resolving the challenge via a sequence of skill rolls. For example, imagine a fiendish deathtrap that requires a combination of Athletics, Mechanisms, and Sleight of Hand to disable - with the added complication that each task must be performed by a different character to ensure that they all occur at exactly the same time.

If I treat this as a group-level Conflict, do I use a single pool of Resolution points for the entire group or does each participant have their own Resolution points for their own specific subtasks? Or maybe I should designate one of the tasks as the main task and treat the others as support actions?

Yes, as Olivier said both points will be addressed soon. The feedback I had from the latest release was that splitting the rules into "single conflicts" -> "group conflcts" -> "battle royale" and having users digest it a morsel at a time was a better idea. Only the simplest case is online ATM.

Examples will be posted, too.

Anything else that is not clear? Keep signaling what parts might use a more detailed explanation. All feedback is useful.

An impersonal force can perform the equivalent of a support action, but this usually happens only in the more complicate cases. In general, there is nothing that an impersonal force cannot do, as its role in a conflict is only the abstraction of a series of events that the GM wishes to insert in the scene. Saying that the force "accumulates a bonus bead" means that the GM wishes to make things harder for the player(s) by increasing the difficulty of some roll at some moment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

It's public! It is not accessible from the RPG Meeting main page - it is just a temporary hosting to exploit the advanced Joomla features on RPG Meeting - but it is intended to be public.

Character creation coming soon...

Great!

On 13/6/2016 at 0:13 PM, Prime Evil said:

Looking forward to see how you will handle character creation itself.

Done! Character creation is among the most consolidated parts after playtesting, so it will probably remain stable. Only the tables will vary according to the new settings that appear.

Link here: http://www.rpgmeeting.org/en/character-creation

or here, if the above alias does not work:

http://www.rpgmeeting.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=10&Itemid=446&lang=en

Edited by RosenMcStern

• 2 weeks later...

A few things are still not clear to me:

1- how do you set the party's RP ? Is there one for the whole party, or does each character have his own (it seems to be the case) ?

2- if all characters have RPs but only one rolls, do they still all lose RPs in case of defeat ?

3- if one character decides to roll for effect with a skill/Trait corresponding to a characteristic, but in the following round another character wit a higher characteristic and hence more RPs rolls for effect, what happens to the conflict's RPs ? And what if he uses another Trait involving obviously another chracteristic ? (question bound to the preceding)

4- can the same character change the trait he uses during a conflict ? What about RPs in this case ?

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

ok. I've seen it, it is clear. I need to realy understand everything since my players will have to take part to the kuriltai, the warriors assembly in the Altai mountains where they'll try to push their favorite at the head of the clan !

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

14 hours ago, Zit said:

ok. I've seen it, it is clear. I need to realy understand everything since my players will have to take part to the kuriltai, the warriors assembly in the Altai mountains where they'll try to push their favorite at the head of the clan !

This really sounds like a momentous event. Let us go off topic for one moment to describe how this scene could play with the Conflict rules.

First of all, opposition Resolution Point Pool. It should be big, at least equivalent to the Status they want their candidate to achieve if expressed as a score/characteristic. I would say between 16 and 20 for a Khan, 20 or more for a Kaghan. The opposition should then be represented with a minimum 80% skill score - the typical diplomatic abilities of their rivals - unless specific NPCs have been defined.

At this point the PCs will probably select a speaker to talk to the kuriltai. He should be the one with the highest status - o higher Charisma if Status is not represented by an attribute score. This score will represent the initial Resolution Point Pool for the party. It is important to keep it high, otherwise a failure in the first roll might leave room for a Quick Exit if the Narrator scores a success.

While the frontman will probably make an Oratory roll as his first move, all sort of intrigues and schemes can take place while the assembly is in progress. These may be treated as Support Actions that boost the frontman's speech, or as independent rolls - a risky but potentially rewarding tactics. In such a context, there really should be no limit to the machinations of both the player characters and their foes.

The conflict might indeed terminate with a partial victory for the Narrator. In this case, the player characters get to determine how they lost the debate, and they may well declare that their candidate was not chosen but the assembly failed to elect a leader, either, or some other mitigations of the defeat that leave room for a new try or further developments. An additional adventure to eliminate the obstacle that made their candidate unelectable might be an intersting outcome. If this happens, the Narrator should assess a numeric Consequence for the party's diplomatic failure, and apply it to any Communication roll used to obtain aid (spells, directions) before this new adventure.

I have finely completed reading the SRD. And I haft to say I'm an vary excited to  narrate a game. Have a bad habit of picking up games and turn them in to Mythras as this is one of my favorites rule systems. This is the first time in the last 6 years that I have want to pick up and run a system as it stands. I really like your new ideas and very much looking forward to playing them.

• Like 2