Podcast mentioned Stormbringer negotiations with Chaosium

Pentallion

I was wondering what Chaosium might have in mind if they actually got the rights to Stormbringer?  Would they bring back the old version?  It was heavily unbalanced.  You were a sorceror or you died.  It was heck of a lot of fun.  But I was wondering if Chaosium might have something different in mind in a second go around?

And here's to hoping you get the rights. 

It's maybe a bit too early to say what they would do. But it's very nice to hear that they are having positive talks with Michael Moorcock.

Certainly, I know what I would like.

A new edition of Stormbringer (yes, I much prefer this title to Elric! or Elric of Melniboné) as a compact BRP game keeping the simplicity of Elric! and the flavor of older editions. I want it to be substantially faithful to Moorcock but gameable, with a clear focus on the "core" of Elric stories (of course what is core is  debatable: I'd certainly like the book to mention dreamthieves and the Lands of Dream but I won't cry if it does not have stats for the Karasim...).

From the Mongoose editions I'd keep pacts, gifts and compulsions as well as passions.  

I'd also like it to have a short, conclusive, game line: 3 books, and then move on to Hawkmoon and Corum. 

• Like 5

On 8/16/2016 at 5:08 AM, smiorgan said:

A new edition of Stormbringer (yes, I much prefer this title to Elric! or Elric of Melniboné) as a compact BRP game keeping the simplicity of Elric! and the flavor of older editions.

I completely agree.  I didn't find out about Stormbringer / Elric of Melnibone until after Chaosium / Mongoose discontinued them but since then I have picked up every supplement except The Octagon of Chaos and Demon Magic. I would be happy to do it all again if Chaosium can pull this off.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

8 hours ago, tzunder said:

Part of me would love this.

But a greater part would prefer a non BRP game, something which approaches the issues of Doom, Law/Chaos, Dream, Trust, Betrayal in a different way.

You'd have to call it something else. Like "Adventure in the Million Spheres" or some-such and focus on the full gamut of the Moorcock Multiverse (Jerry Conenlius, Von Bek, Oswald Bastable, etc.). If it's Stormbringer it needs to be faithful to the original games or you're going to have a minor revolt.

8 hours ago, tzunder said:

But a greater part would prefer a non BRP game, something which approaches the issues of Doom, Law/Chaos, Dream, Trust, Betrayal in a different way.

I understand. It reminds me of my issue with D&D5. I do sincerely think that D&D5 is a very good distillate of older and newer editions of D&D.

Does this make me want to play D&D5? Nope. Because, I already have games for any sub-flavor of D&D I might want to play (from Basic D&D to 13th Age).

So I guess one might think BRP Stormbringer has already been done several times.

Stil, I know I would like some more Stormbringer and more Corum, Hawkmoon. Perhaps more the scenarios than the rules. The Mongoose incarnations have been pretty meh on the scenario front (I mean Elric - MRQ Hawkmoon had the excellent Secrets of tragic Europe campaign by Gareth Hanrahan).  

• Like 1

I'd love to see a "Moorcock's Multiverse" game, with source material for Elric, Corum and Hawkmoon, along with the other Champions (a Jerry Cornelius game would be amazing).

The only thing I'd like to see a return to is the Rank-based magic used in third edition. I admit this is entirely subjective (SB3 was the first game I ever ran and I still have a strong emotional attachment to the rules, the NPCs and the scenarios at the back). It may not be to everyone's taste, and I don't know if current rules would support such a system, but it was clear in the Elric saga that magic was incredibly risky: a sorcerer risked his Sanity and his very soul dealing with supernatural entities. It took a lot of hard work (and literal sacrifice) to rise up the sorcerous ranks.

It's great news that Chaosium are in talks with Moorcock about this. I hope they come to a satisfactory arrangement for all concerned.

Colin

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tzunder said:

Well, after years of slightly different Elric games I grew tired and decided to create my own Moorcock themed rpg. It is fan made (of course) and it is called Lobo Blanco (White Wolf in spanish). It is not BRP because I wanted to create a game that tries to recreate the feeling of the Elric, and other Eternal Champion novels. The game can be broadly described as "narrative sandbox". Player Characters have a Destiny, both motivation and ultimate goal, that drives their actions. Each session a PC or the GM is designated leader of the adventure and elaborates some quest using his Destiny as motive. Important or key player actions create repercussions that puts the world in motion. The PCs grow by following their Destinies and creating repercussions, creating a more and more turbulent world. PCs have sworn enemies and allies that can help. Chaos and Law try to tempt the PCs but with risky consecuences... that can be avoided by betraying allies... The campaign ends with PCs retiring, achieving their destinies (very rare), dying or playing till the end of the world.

• Like 1

Check my Lobo Blanco - Elric RPG (now in english!)

1 hour ago, el_octogono said:

Well, after years of slightly different Elric games I grew tired and decided to create my own Moorcock themed rpg. It is fan made (of course) and it is called Lobo Blanco (White Wolf in spanish). It is not BRP because I wanted to create a game that tries to recreate the feeling of the Elric, and other Eternal Champion novels. The game can be broadly described as "narrative sandbox". Player Characters have a Destiny, both motivation and ultimate goal, that drives their actions. Each session a PC or the GM is designated leader of the adventure and elaborates some quest using his Destiny as motive. Important or key player actions create repercussions that puts the world in motion. The PCs grow by following their Destinies and creating repercussions, creating a more and more turbulent world. PCs have sworn enemies and allies that can help. Chaos and Law try to tempt the PCs but with risky consecuences... that can be avoided by betraying allies... The campaign ends with PCs retiring, achieving their destinies (very rare), dying or playing till the end of the world.

Sounds very interesting. I particularly like how you encompass player destinies! Have you playtested it yet? If so how did the notion of having a session leader work out?

I had a year long campaign of playtest. Destinies worked pretty well. They are deep desires or goals that drive the characters to act. Basically you ask the player what would his character do to get closer to his destiny. For example, one player had the Destiny "Become the most famous thief in the world", so whenever he led the session he tried to find valuable or important things to steal, or investigate for maps or related information. He also had in mind a final act which was stealing the Ruby Throne of Melniboné. At first, the notion of a session leader was cautiously received, but after the first session, almost everyone was eager to lead. It is worth noting that the other players may suggest or find reasons related to their own Destinies to accompany the leader, much like Elric joining Sharilla in her quest for the Dead God's Book, or Avan Astran in his travel to R'lin K'ren A'a.

• Like 1

On August 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM, el_octogono said:

I had a year long campaign of playtest. Destinies worked pretty well. They are deep desires or goals that drive the characters to act. Basically you ask the player what would his character do to get closer to his destiny. For example, one player had the Destiny "Become the most famous thief in the world", so whenever he led the session he tried to find valuable or important things to steal, or investigate for maps or related information. He also had in mind a final act which was stealing the Ruby Throne of Melniboné. At first, the notion of a session leader was cautiously received, but after the first session, almost everyone was eager to lead. It is worth noting that the other players may suggest or find reasons related to their own Destinies to accompany the leader, much like Elric joining Sharilla in her quest for the Dead God's Book, or Avan Astran in his travel to R'lin K'ren A'a.

So what does a session leader do? Is that just means he leads the grip that session? From your description I suspect he does more than that... Do you have these rules written down anywhere? Can you share :-)

On August 23, 2016 at 8:37 PM, el_octogono said:

Sorry one more question. If the session leader follows his destiny do you find the players continue with the plot clues laid out for them or do you assume a sandbox where there is no specific plot...

5 hours ago, rsanford said:

So what does a session leader do? Is that just means he leads the grip that session? From your description I suspect he does more than that... Do you have these rules written down anywhere? Can you share :-)

The session leader suggests a course of action, based on previous game information or whatever the player, or all of them, come up with. Every PC finds motives to join the leader in his quest, to acquire something useful for their own Destinies or just to give company. You can download the current version of the game, completely playable, including sailing and mass combats, but it is available only in spanish, at the moment. From here: Lobo Blanco

5 hours ago, rsanford said:

Sorry one more question. If the session leader follows his destiny do you find the players continue with the plot clues laid out for them or do you assume a sandbox where there is no specific plot...

I assume a sandbox approach although, as I mentioned before, PCs actions generate repercussions that the GM elaborates both narratively and mechanically. So, after some sessions, PCs may have to confront the consequences of their previous actions, in fact, confronting these repercussions let the characters grow. This way, players feel a very dynamic and alive setting that reacts to them, which I think is pretty close to the experiences of the characters in MM's novels.

If you want more info on Lobo Blanco I suggest creating a sub-thread in "other games". I'll be glad to talk about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el_octogono said:

The session leader suggests a course of action, based on previous game information or whatever the player, or all of them, come up with. Every PC finds motives to join the leader in his quest, to acquire something useful for their own Destinies or just to give company. You can download the current version of the game, completely playable, including sailing and mass combats, but it is available only in spanish, at the moment. From here: Lobo Blanco

I assume a sandbox approach although, as I mentioned before, PCs actions generate repercussions that the GM elaborates both narratively and mechanically. So, after some sessions, PCs may have to confront the consequences of their previous actions, in fact, confronting these repercussions let the characters grow. This way, players feel a very dynamic and alive setting that reacts to them, which I think is pretty close to the experiences of the characters in MM's novels.

If you want more info on Lobo Blanco I suggest creating a sub-thread in "other games". I'll be glad to talk about it.

Thanks El_Octogona! I had no idea there was a Spanish version of Stormbringer. If you ever translate it to English I will buy for sure!

• Like 1

On 23/08/2016 at 11:11 AM, tzunder said:

Mournblade, the latest official game set in the Young Kingdoms, was published by a french company in 2015.

It is based on a d10+attribute+skill system, with a twist : one can roll a d20 if he wants, but any odd result will be treated as a 0. I've not read it, but according to the game's description, PCs in this game are meant to be agents of one of the chaos or law divinities.

Edited by Mugen

23 hours ago, Mugen said:

Mournblade, the latest official game set in the Young Kingdoms, was published by a french company in 2015.

It is based on a d10+attribute+skill system, with a twist : one can roll a d20 if he wants, but any odd result will be treated as a 0. I've not read it, but according to the game's description, PCs in this game are meant to be agents of one of the chaos or law divinities.

Yes. It works like that. I've got the starter kit of Mournblade, A very pretty booklet (no chargen, lots of pregenerated characters, quick-start rules and a scenario).

I am in two minds about taking the plunge into the full game. A French-language game is always a harder sell for my players who are not francophone (I was able years ago to run a French Hawkmoon campaign, happily players had enough French to understand the feuille de personnage).

Production quality is superb. The idea of "high-level" play as agents from the outset speeds up the engagement with the setting. Yet, the adventure was so-so. The magic system is lifted from MRQ2 Elric and moved from the MRQ2 to their chose your dice system.

If I understand correctly they initially had their license via Mongoose and when the Mongoose license expired it was renewed directly by Moorcock.    

9 hours ago, smiorgan said:

If I understand correctly they initially had their license via Mongoose and when the Mongoose license expired it was renewed directly by Moorcock. 

That's also my understanding.

3 hours ago, SDLeary said:

That looks purdy, but also very crunchy. Do I see both lethal and non-lethal damage tracks?

SDLeary

Yes, and "Âme" ("soul") seems like another name for "SANity".

I like their skill list, but I don't get what is the difference between "coercition" ("coercion") and "persuasion".

Probably the difference with saying "please" and "please" with a stick.

• Like 1

Say no to censorship

• "Did he say he was a Rune Lord or that he knew one?"
  • "Go, and never darken my towels again."
  • "Ach Crimmens! Ye smited me...ye craven. Worra, worra. What would me Mum say?"