Stealer of Souls/Black Sword

I just purchased copies for these two adventures.  I know they're written for SB1-3 (I think), but how hard would it be to update them to Elric!?  Even if you could update them to SB4 I could probably make do.  For reference, I have SB3, SB4, and Elric!

• Like 1

It would be fairly easy. The biggest differences are magic and skill caps.

SB skills usually hit 100% and didn't get that much higher without magic or in extreme cases, and Elric! skill %s regularly exceeded 100%. 

Personally, I'd just play it by ear. If a weapon skill for a SoS/BS character should be extremely high (80%+), then double it. If it's lower than 60%, then probably leave it alone.

I can't remember a lot of the NPCs in those two books, but you could probably swap them out with example characters from the Young Kingdoms Digest without too much difficulty. 

• Like 2

Cool campaign!

I have run it with SB4 no need of conversion for that. At all. Demons are the only thing that is a bit different, but you can ignore that and be fine.

With Elric! Just do as suggested by Jason with weapon skills. You might want to give a few spells to magic-using NPCs. Or you just play Elric! sans-spells also on the player side. I would do the latter.

NOTE: To compensate player sorcerers from the loss of spells halve the number of magic points needed to summon elementals.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies!

I'm not entirely mechanically sound on any of the editions I own, having just gotten my rulebooks over the past few months (I've had some of my sourcebooks for years prior).  Now it's all just reading. :)

Anyway, this doesn't seem quite as difficult as I thought it might be.  I won't get my books for probably a week or two (or three), so I have some time to bone up on those before I start trying to plug them into my hypothetical campaign.

Thanks again!

Yeah the demons are the biggest problem. In old SB demon weapons that did +4D6 or more were fairly easy for a summoner to make. The summoner built the demon on a pool of points equal to the sum of his attributes, and for demon weapons only had to put a couple of points in SIZ and 3D8 into POW. That usually left 60+ points free to be spent elsewhere, and the damage  for demon weapons was 1D6 per 10 STR. 

As far as the skill ratings go, SB did cap at 100% (plus magical enhancements, if any), while Elric! goes over 100% and actually suggests starting PCs off at 100% or higher, so you might want to raise the skill scores for the significant NPCs in the adventures.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.