M-SPACE RPG is launching today

clarence

On 9/23/2016 at 4:47 PM, clarence said:

M-SPACE is now available as a PDF! 

Got it, of course. :)

It looks very good indeed, but unfortunately I did not yet have the time to take a closer look.

• Like 1

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

On 9/26/2016 at 9:16 AM, clarence said:

Thank you Rust! Let me know what you think about it when you have the time.

Well, still short of time, but here is a first opinion (apart from the 5 stars I gave it on DTRPG):

Like Very Much: Extended Conflicts, Circles - both are excellent and very useful concepts.

Like Much: Everything Else - every chapter is well presented and useful.

Dislike: Nothing, really.

A few words on the construction of droids/robots could be a nice addition, I think. 

Overall, thank you very much for M-Space, it is what I needed for my science fiction settings. :)

• Like 1

(Charlie Chan)

Thank you Stephanie. Let me know if you have any questions. And just a reminder that you get the PDF for free if you bought a print copy!

@rust Good to hear Rust! Both Extended Conflicts and Circles have contributed a lot to my own gaming sessions. And yes, a chapter on robots would have been nice. I have a modular system in the works, but it didn't make the deadline I had set for myself.

Edit: We just reached #2 on Lulu : )

Edited by clarence

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Clarence, I got two campaigns on my mind; one is about early space traveling where humanity is making first interstellar journey using and 'realistic' space flight, so none of that xwing dogfighting stuff, more like the Right Stuff, calculating vectors and orbits and whatnot? I might start with PCs exploring the outer solar system, and then finding some alien tech which would enable them to make the first leap (since apparently FTL flight is not possible according to current thinking)?

Another idea would be Alien campaign (from the movies). Players being Colonial Marines, encountering Predators, Aliens and other critters (but nothing from Prometheus). I might kick off the campaign with players as civilians on a freight vessel encountering a distress signal from unknown source type of thing..

Would M-Space accommodate these types of gameplay? I assume the latter would be no problem, but what about the first, is the starship design / flight system downgradeable to sufficiently primitive / clunky version, which would work along these lines? I am not sure how I feel about space combat, it wouldn't be the topmost thing on an exploring astronauts list anyways, unless they were very paranoid about encountering alien races?

Edited by Verderer
  • Like 1

Good to hear you have some campaigns in the works! As you say, the Aliens variant will be easy to recreate with the M-SPACE rules. You may need to glean weapon stats from another source, but otherwise you should be fine. 

Near-future sci-fi requires more work. Building starships and space stations will be very similar, and dialling down the tech for those will be quite easy. Depending on how close you want to mimic real physics, the Speed and Handling stats may need an overhaul though. Also, starship fights will require a more "submarine warfare" thinking, with large distances and sensors playing large parts, but as you suggest, starship fighting may not fit such a campaign at all.

Check out some of the old Chaosium Monographs in PDF (Cthulhu Rising and Operation Ulysses for example); you may find complementary rules there that are easy to bolt on to M-SPACE. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

Sounds promising, I will have to get at least the M-Space PDF... the space pioneers campaign is more of an idea in my head at this point, I did read a bit on Transhuman Space for GURPS and Blue Planet, so I might use bits from them (certainly the BP planet bakcground) with M-Space. I don't think humankind's first voyage into star should be military campaign anyways, at least the way I envision it, more like exploration an encounters of the third kind. War would come only later...

And for making up Colonial Marine weapon stats, most of them should be fairly simple mods, and I think we might still have Phoenix Command Alien books to have as support, plus I have the Colonial Marine technical manual which is great for technology background and pics.

• Like 1

@verderer you should check this scenario out it fits with what you are looking for even if it is just to try the system out and for only 3.99 us dollar its very affordable

A Gift From Shamash

By Pete Nash

On the edge of the solar system, among the far-flung debris of the Kuiper Belt, the UNCC Nergal is sent to intercept the DVC Fukunusubi, a reclamation vessel that has stopped responding to communications and is on a collision trajectory with Earth. The crew of the Nergal have less than 90 hours to change the Fukunusubi’s course while, at the same time, discovering the nature of the catastrophe the ship has suffered.

No one prepared them for this. No one prepared them for a gift from Shamash. And no one can save them.

A Gift From Shamash is a complete scenario for Mythras Imperative and Mythras. Compatible with supplements such as Luther Arkwright and M-Space, the adventure includes background history, deckplans, campaign expansion guidance and marine creation notes for the United Nations Solar Navy marine characters. The scenario also includes 15 pregenerated marines and navy personnel for immediate play.

Edited by heathd666
  • Like 2

I'm happy to hear you like it Baragei! And yes, Swedish RPGs have really taken a big step forward in recent years. We have a quite lively community here at the moment. 

Just a reminder: the M-SPACE PDF is included for free when you purchase a physical copy. Just email me the Lulu receipt and I will return a download link in a few hours.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I assume there will not be an "official" setting for M-Space (no need to come up with your own Third Imperium, though I can see adapting it to M-Space as a bit of a snap), a few samples to give GMs hooks into their own games may be helpful. I'm thinking of ideas like "life in the Star Navy" as a release, with additional info on ship design, the role of a space navy in a campaign, and things like how one fights back against an opponent with vastly superior technology.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the Classic Traveller material can be translated to M-Space without too many calisthenics. The main different is that CT PCs are typically old and experienced, while M-Space really has no such limitation. You can start as grizzled veterans, but you can also start as talented youngsters.

Are there alternative methods of interstellar travel that M-Space can handle? Imaging how difficult it would be for space navies if once you get into hyperspace you can emerge anywhere. Distance and even physical location would be irrelevant to such empires. What would matter is how easy it is to navigate to a place and how well-known it is.

• Like 1

There will in fact be an official setting m- SPACE! Even two actually: The Weaver and Odd Soot. 

Our next release, a scenario called REFLUX, is set in The Weaver universe, and will contain some general information about the setting. It's got a rather epic tone, set in the outskirts of a collapsing empire. 

Odd Soot is an entirely different beast. It's a free-standing game, set in an alternate 1930s, where humanity has reached the stars. Alien life has been found and magic is working - but there's also a disease, The Soot, driving the infected slowly insane. Player characters are tragic heroes, spending their miserable lives fighting the disease. 

But as you say, Traveller material is relatively easy to use with M-SPACE. Probably Star Wars too. 

13 hours ago, clarence said:

Probably Star Wars too. 

Yep, it certainly is - I moved my Thalassa setting to the Star Wars universe some weeks ago, and it works just fine. :)

• Like 1

(Charlie Chan)