Career Spells?

hdan

The rules mention that each career has three spells listed that are thematically appropriate.

Those spells are of course not in the book, but has anyone done up a list of these? They seem like a neat idea. Presumably one of the source games for MW has such a list that could be raided for ideas, but I do not have any of those games in my collection.

Thanks!

(As an aside, with any luck I might get two of my players to try some MW this evening. I was planning to have them join an expedition to the vault of Sarkath Han.)

• Like 2

I do have a copy of the first edition Stormbringer's player book (but sadly not the other two books), but it doesn't have any magic stuff in it.

I'll keep my eyes open for a copy of Elric!. I suspect that's where those paragraphs came from originally.

On 10/2/2016 at 6:55 AM, Nick J. said:

Fortunately copies of Elric! can still be obtained from Ebay sellers, Amazon or Nobleknight for a very reasonable price (~$25-ish).

Money well spent

I love the little extra rules that made their way into MW and it's the setting I wanted to play in with Elric! when that book first game out (over two decades ago now)

But the layout of the Elric! rules (and the typography and the smaller art pieces if not some of the larger) is still the best I've ever seen in any printed RPG

• Like 3

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

• 4 months later...

The only spell in there that's really dangerous is Summon Demon.  I'd let the players choose whatever spell they think fits and have them come up with a back story on how they learned that spell.  Maybe it's just my players but the spells are usually so specifically focused on one effect that my players generally forget that they have them.

70/420

I do the same thing but instead of one spell I give them a choice of spell lists (I use RoleMaster's Spell Law for this but there are many alternatives). Like Chaot, I usually ask fot some justifcation for the spells picked (and they still get a Chaos point per list chosen). That gives a bit more flexibility than individual spells. But it depends on the magic power level of your game.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't really matter which spell list you choose. You've mentioned a few others in the past too, like Primea. You could use Dragon Warriors spells, or D&D ones if you want. The main point is you pick some lists from somewhere, and each magical 'skill' corresponds to a list of spells rather than a single spell.

I like to use the INT limits too for magical skills. That way there is still scope for learning individual spells. For example, a wizard might have skills in Herbal Magic, Shadow Magic, Acrobatics Magic (those aren't necessarily in Spell Law or anything, they just floated to the surface of my brain) but could still learn individual spells such as Hell's Talons from a captured grimoire. In this case Hell's Talons would take the same amount of INT 'space' as all the Shadow Magic spells. No wizard will ever be exactly the same!

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 1