What setting licence should Mythras get

jux

Well... RQ didn't work out so well in the end; but arguably, getting the RQ license and the initial exposure was the foundation of everything after, so...

On the positive side of things, the LA license seems to be doing decently for them, and their license to M-S and CF are presumably bringing in a few bucks and (more importantly) keeping the "Mythras" line continuously-visible as a strong and vibrant product.

You just have to realize that in business, as life, some things work out the way you wanted, and some don't.  Just because that Ulerian tart proved faithless in the end, it's no reason to stop exploring the Parallels with Luther...  :D

C'es ne pas un .sig

I would back the Kickstarters/preorder/day-one purchase any of the following licenses for Mythras:

The Elder Scrolls

Fallout

The Black Company

Time of the Dark / The Walls of Air / The Armies of Daylight

Wool / Shift / Dust

Earthsea

Titus Groan / Gormenghast

That's probably enough for now. :)  Of course, I'm such a Design Mechanism fanboy that I buy everything they put out anyway, so they won't lose my business if they ignore this entirely. But I live in hope! Let Design Mechanism become a big-leagues publishing house where they're vacuuming up licenses left and right and Pete and Loz sleep on a giant pile of blackjack, hookers, and blow! (/FuturamaJoke)

On 1/24/2017 at 5:28 PM, Ruprecht said:

None. Design Mechanism should learn from the licensing experience with RuneQuest and instead develop their own world(s).

That's my real, true, core sentiment... but it's fun to play 'what if' regarding various settings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Jigawatts said:

Interestingly enough, I came across this a few weeks ago, its a really well done unofficial Elder Scrolls RPG that is derived from a combination of RQ6/Mythras and the Fantasy Flight 40k games.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2KESbIjtwHsOFgxdXhoNDRJN2c

That looks awesome! I'll have to give it a read. Thanks for finding this!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2017 at 11:28 AM, Ruprecht said:

None. Design Mechanism should learn from the licensing experience with RuneQuest and instead develop their own world(s).

I totally agree with this. Rather than pay someone for a licence, Loz & Pete should focus on developing psuedo-historical settings as there is no licence, and everyone already has a baseline understanding of the setting. It's a win/win.

The 'Mythic' titles work very well (as well as link to the Mythras namesake). Mythic Britain is brilliant, as is Mythic Rome (although I am not overly fussed on the internal art direction in the book). Mythic Greece is in the works, and Mythras will be great playing in such a setting. I think they should just consolidate their efforts and focus on publishing resources for each of these setting lines.

Mythic Greece alone could set them up for life, look at the continual interest in such a setting with films like Troy, Clash Of The Titans, 300, etc. It never gets old.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

RE Mythic Greece.  You also have multiple, very different time periods to deal with.  Homeric (~bronze age) Greece is not the same as the Persian wars in terms culture, political systems, military technology, war, etc.  I would love a Mythic Greece set in a Homeric Greece.  Happen to be re-reading the Odyssey at the moment.   Fantastic read in the Lattimore translation.

I was just reminiscing about Star Frontiers recently.  In reality, you could just play Mythras out of the box for SF pretty easily.   Use the old books for flavor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Questbird said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Mythic Arabia or Mythic Mesoamerica.

Me neither!

Actually, an entire New-World setting would be highly-welcome; but frankly a bit fraught, as these aren't purely-historical groups:  giving offense would be a real risk.  One might have to produce an invented "bad guy" for those wanting such a thing.

But there are several big "surplus economy" cultures in the pre-Colombian times, and a LOT of interesting material...

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 23/02/2017 at 10:10 AM, fulk said:

RE Mythic Greece.  You also have multiple, very different time periods to deal with.  Homeric (~bronze age) Greece is not the same as the Persian wars in terms culture, political systems, military technology, war, etc.  I would love a Mythic Greece set in a Homeric Greece.  Happen to be re-reading the Odyssey at the momer. 

I think this is pretty much the era that DM are currently developing for their upcoming Mythic Greece setting

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• 5 months later...
On 11/1/2016 at 10:50 PM, Mankcam said:

hmm The Dark Tower Series may hold some possibilities, its very gritty and its got all kind of weird in it

Casting resurrection on this thread...

I just returned from watching the new Dark Tower film. It only bears a superficial resemblance to the books, but I think that actually works in its favor to an extent. The setting of the movie would make a fantastic RPG setting - at least the Mid-World portion of it. The movie version of Mid-World felt like a cross between the settings of Deadlands and Fallout though not quite as over-the-top as either of those. Mostly just the general aesthetic of the place. I'd describe the movie as less epic fantasy and more sword-and-sorcery (six gun-and-sorcery?)  I think for an RPG setting though you'd have to go more Lovecraftian and existential with the danger and not be so overt about having the Fellowship Ka-Tet going to save the universe.

• Like 1

I was listening to a slew of Zothique and Hyperborean audio tales over the weekend and while my first choice for putting those in RPG form would be Magic World (Stormbringer) it seems like Mythras would be the likely runner-up. It's questionable if those aren't in public domain anyway... despite Arkham House wanting to claim they own it.