Advice for a new Keeper?

rsanford

If they ask the correct question give them the information without a roll, there's no point in putting a road block in the scenario. Only if the NPC has an antagonistic mindset should you make a skill check (7e core rulebook p93) . If they fail to ask the correct question then your scenario needs to take into account the three clue rule - put the same clue in three or more places to make sure the investigators get it.

Idea rolls are often the best way to provide some sort of clue to where the investigator should look or ask a question or even guidance on what sort of question to ask. If the players get stuck then call for Idea rolls and provide information to help them make a decision.

Nigel

Pretty much the above.

If the NPC is being evasive, lying or hostile, then make a roll, otherwise just ask nicely.

As a Keeper, if I see the players aimlessly wondering what to do, then I'll drop a clue, then a Clue, then a CLUE. Depending on how nice I am feeling, I might laugh at them for missing the obvious clues, thereby adding a fourth clue for them to spot. If they don't spot the fourth clue, basically me telling them that there is a clue, then it's their own fault. in that situation, they stumble into the thing that the clue would have warned them about, without any preparation, which is punishment enough in my opinion.

CoC can come across as being incredibly frustrating, as the Investigators miss all the clues and the Keeper smugly waiting for them to do something. However, a kinder Keeper helps them out. After all, they won;t want to miss going insane and being eaten, would they?

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here