Doors to Darkness Errata

Mike M

• 2 months later...

I realize it has been a couple months since you posted this request, but I have just started going through the book and found a couple things, so thought I would report them:

1. Darkness Beneath the Hill: Page 31, column 1, paragraph 1 under the header The Lair of S'Syaa-H'Riss, line 11, Josh Winscott is referred to as Josh "Wainscot".

2. Darkness Beneath the Hill: Page 31, Column 1 text wrap against Map 3 should have an increased margin. First four lines of column 1 are hitting the map border.

3. Genius Loci: Starting on page 37, alternating page header should read "Genius Loci", not "Genius Lioci".

It's not much, but it is what I have come across so far. Not exactly on topic, but do you think Genius Loci can be run in one session?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry to revisit a long dead thread but I noticed a few things while looking over Servants of the Lake. They aren't all necessarily clear errors, but I've noted them below for your reference.

Dialogue is italicized throughout the scenario, with the single exception of the Brophys' responses to potential questions on page 61, which are written in the form of dialogue but not italicized. Perhaps for consistency this should be altered?

As the text on page 61 refers to the Brophy 'brothers' having been concerned and burying James due to that, I wonder if it would make more sense to use "the Brophys were concerned someone might come..." rather than "the Brophys are concerned someone may come...".

Again on page 61, it should read "(STR roll required to break down)" in brackets, not "(STR roll breakdown)".

There's a significant error on the guest sign in handout (page 65). Jacob signs in right under Abe. However in the scenario Jacob is not 100% sure Abe was at the motel. Surely if he signed in right under his lover he would have noticed this? I think the error could be rectified by just removing Abe from the top of the handout and noting the 'brothers' remove pages whenever they disappear a guest, which would explain why Jacob didn't see Abe's name.

The scenario is ostensibly set in the 1920s as written. However Bill's car is listed as a 1930 yellow Buick Marquette (page 64). He should not have this car given the decade the scenario is set in.

Sarah and Bill have cars listed on page 64. Jacob, despite having also driven there, has no car listed. Listing a car for him as well would be helpful for a keeper describing the parking lot on the fly.

Our group had an excellent time with this scenario. In my opinion, any minor alterations made in relation to the above comments would only further improve a strong product.

Edited by smithh65
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 3:23 PM, smithh65 said:

…I noticed a few things while looking over Servants of the Lake.

I second these, having just run the scenario last night and run into some of these issues, and will add two more:

1. While the scenario itself provides no dates beyond "the 1920s", the guestbook-page handout suggests that it takes place in mid-to-late January. It would be good to add this information to the introduction so that Keepers aren't caught out by this, as I was.
  2. Further to the above, it doesn't seem credible to me or my players—playing in Beverly, Massachusetts, right about where Arkham is supposed to be—that anyone would have come to northern Massachusetts with the intention of fishing in the middle of winter; the lake (which is more of a pond) would most likely be frozen, for one thing. We collectively agreed that the scenario would be more plausibly set later in the spring.

One issue that @smithh65 raises, about Jacob Trent's vehicle, was a non-issue in my game; I assumed he'd hitchhiked, and that his lack of a vehicle was part of the reason he was still at the motel instead of off summoning the police to look into Abe's disappearance.

• Like 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

• 2 years later...

Very late to the party, but here we go. Checked these against v1.4 of the PDF.

Chapter 2, The Darkness Beneath the Hill

Errata

p23 SIZ 7 => should be SIZ 35

p34 INHABITANTS, Skills, "Steal Things" is a flavorful skill name, but this is already covered by the "Sleight of Hand" skill in the core rules.

p34 S’SYAA-H’RISSS should have HP 11, not 20 (based on CON + SIZ, which also matches corresponding entry in Keeper Rulebook)

Grammar & Typos

p14 Not all of this history is as fondly... => remove "as"

p15 ...has numerous building from... => should be "buildings"

p16 ...the investigators to find, but which adds some color to the scenario is... => should be "scenario, is..." (i.e. add a comma)

p17 Despite the emancipation began during... => should be "Despite the fact that emancipation began during..."

p26 ...degenerates will fight back, though, they... => should be "back, though they..." (i.e. remove comma after "though")

p26 FATHEROF => missing space between words, should be "FATHER OF"

p31 ...get the right idea about it). => not part of a parenthetical statement, remove the parenthesis.

p31 ...while he's awake should... => change "awake" to "asleep"

p31 ...observing him or chose to => change "chose" to "choose"

p32 ...to fate worse than... => should be "to a fate worse than..."

Edited by coolAlias

As above, compared against PDF v1.4. Hopefully this is helpful - I know I'm many years late.

Chapter 3, Genius Loci

Errata

p50 ... in a ten-meter radius => change "meter" to "yards" (as indicated on following pages as well as the Map scale being in feet)

Grammar & Typos

p36 ... who wishes Crosswell be detained. => Remove "be"

p.40 ... can, occasionally, prompts calls for... => should be "prompt" (no 's')

p40 ... lest every spooky locale gradually exhausts sanity... => should be "exhaust" (no 's')

p40 ... these injuries as, "Results..." => remove comma before opening quotation mark

p44 ... accessible with successful... => add "a" after "with"

p45 ... after Hathorne build his home... => should be "built"

p45 ... who spoke of, "One who..." => remove comma before opening quotation mark

p45 ... a successful Psychology rolls discern the... => should be "roll" (no 's') and "discerns" (add 's')

p45 ... warning investigators to, "Let..." => remove comma before opening quotation mark

p45 ... perhaps hoping onto a passing bus, or into a waiting car. => should be "hopping"; suggest removing comma.

p47 ... doctor to never to remove the... => should be "to never remove"

p48 ... as difficult and dangerous the Keeper desires... => add "as" after "dangerous"

p49 ... luxuriating in the investigators' anxiety that suits... => add comma after "anxiety"

p49 Dr. Berger leading the throng, his face a mask... => change to "leads" for consistency with previous bullet points.

p50 ... those in the melee to make Hard Spot Hidden rolls notice... => add "to" after "rolls"

p50 While those hanging back... => Remove "While", begin sentence with "Those"

p55 ... may notice the tell tale effects... => should be "tell-tale" (i.e. add a hyphen)

p55 ... so essentially as an unlimited supply... => change "as" to "has"

Potential Plot Holes

Just a few inconsistencies that could result in tough-to-answer questions at the table if not considered beforehand.

Spoiler
  1. Croswell's letter to the PCs on p37 indicates the asylum orderlies read all outgoing mail, and this is confirmed when the following day the PCs receive the fraudulent letter imploring them to ignore the previous one; if Dr. Berger et. al. knew of the first letter, why did they let it go out? If they did not intend it to go out and only knew of it due to the lloigar's spying powers, how exactly was Croswell able to sneak it out in a way that gets it delivered to the PCs?
  2. If the lloigar can hear every conversation in the asylum, surely it would know that Croswell told the PCs to speak to Andrew, who "seems to know what is really going on"; why, then, would it choose Andrew (via Dr. Berger, on p48) as the one best-suited to eliminating the PCs?