Entangle

Sunwolfe

Greetings all MW loyalists and Chroniclers,

The Entangle spot-rule (86-7). I find the phrase, "A successful entangle prevents movement or attacks by the target, for the rest of this round and all the next round" (86), problematic. I cannot imagine an entangled target passively awaiting his or her or its fate during their turn to act in the round. I would imagine they'd resist at every opportunity or attack with whatever means remains at their disposal. I've done my homework, researching BRP BGB, RQ3, SB/E! versions of the rule. I am leaning hard toward Durall's "...there are few entangling attacks that do not allow for some method of attack, whether a kick or a head butt"(196).

Before I adapt or qualify the rule and drift away from MW RAW, however, I thought I'd query what remains of the once mighty MW cadre (sigh) and ask how you handle this spot rule?

For the sake of full disclosure, the spot rule in question is for a PC who is using a kusarigama with a 3m chain.

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

I'm thinking of a guy I saw get taken down by bolos.

Maybe it depends on your definition of 'attack'. He's not going to have a full range of movement/maneuver... he could lash out if you got close to him, but it's not his full on normal attack. It's going to be somewhat improvised and desperate. Attacks on him should benefit.

To me it's for the GM to adjudicate... depending on the specifics of what entangled the character, what weapon he has, did he fall down... various things. Maybe a critical ensnares his weapon arm, neck, or legs (which can then be pulled out from under him). Snared up in the webbing of a giant spider or the tongue of a giant frog... maybe no attack at all.

Edited by Simlasa

On 12/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, Sunwolfe said:

I cannot imagine an entangled target passively awaiting his or her or its fate during their turn to act in the round. I would imagine they'd resist at every opportunity or attack with whatever means remains at their disposal.

Yeah, I don't see it being a passive experience for the entangled. They're not necessarily a bound-mummy; they're struggling to free themselves and are distracted, are possibly prone, or have an arm or two wrapped up. To me, it really depends on circumstances and the weapon used to entangle them. 

I'd use the Entangle spot rule as exactly that: a spot rule. If it doesn't make sense for the circumstances then leverage other spot rules, or incorporate your house rules to resolve the situation. As @Simlasa said, adjudicate based upon the specifics.

For example, if a whip has entangled a target, then perhaps it has wrapped itself around a sword arm (preventing attacks but only partially limiting movement). Or perhaps the attack has an entangled a leg, pulling the target prone, but still able to attack a close target at a disadvantage. Circumstances will differ if the target is entangled by a net or a giant spider's webbing. A target might be totally immobilized with the restrictions described in the spot rule.

Edited by K Peterson
  • Like 3