Hi All

I've just posted a RuneQuest Podcast to theGROGNARDfiles.com which features an interview with Rick Meints, president of Chaosium talking about how he started in RPGs and how his love of playing developed into running the company.

There's also coverage of the RuneRites department in White Dwarf and an examination of the rules of Mythras.

In the next part I'll be selecting 5 items from Rick's collection he played back in the day to discuss his experiences. I'll also be looking at Borderlands, which we played twice, 33 years apart.

In other RuneQuest news, I also appeared on the Dissecting Worlds Podcast and ran an actual play of Gringle's Pawnshop for the RPG Academy, as part of their 'Trial' Series (coming soon - you can see a recording of the Twitch broadcast on their YouTube channel).

Thanks,

Dirk the Dice

• Like 8

Very enjoyable listen. Great to here Rick talking about his background with roleplaying, & Chaosium.  

largely thanks to the podcast, my interest in the hobby has returned, and as the stars align I'm looking forward to the new edition of Runequest. Mythras also sounds like an excellent game, and the discussion of Mythras & comparison of the 2 games is very interesting, it opens up a lot of questions, and has also got me double checking my own memory of how RQ2 works. So now instead of a fondly, but distant game that I used to play, Runequest is feeling a lot more contemporary again. Great format, looking forward to the next episode. Thanks guys 

Rick - around 2000 (I think) I bought a copy of Borderlands from your website. It was a very brief thawing of my own RPG deep freeze, but unfortunately it didn't last very long, more in the tradition of collecting then playing. However over the past year, thanks to Dirk & co I've returned to the hobby, with actual play sessions on Roll20.  There seems to be a lot of great things happening in the hobby again. Good time to return :) 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

The second part of the RuneQuest episode is now available. This time we roll on a Plunder Table to explore Rick's high Treasure Factor as he relates stories of his adventures back in the day.

We also review our experiences of playing Borderlands - our RPG 'foundational document'

https://armchairadventurerblog.com/2017/02/15/episode-part2-more-runequest-rpg-with-rick-meints/ 

Thanks

Dirk

Edited by Dirk_the_Dice
  • Like 3

Thanks largely to the podcast I'm currently experiencing Gorgnard Nirvana, with games of yore becoming relevant again (classic Runequest) , and new versions in print or on the horizon. 

In many ways the podcast has become the 21st century equivalent of  "WhiteDwarf" magazine for me ( in its earlier RPG aspect). It provides a great forum for discussion, ideas,  and reflection on RPG goodness. I mostly played Runequest when I was younger, but I've discovered much more through the podcast about games I knew of but never owned or played back in the day. I really like that fact that although a Grognard podcast, its also forward looking discussing new games ( obviously from the correct Grognard perspective) Keep up the good work!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi All 

The third episode of The GROGNARD files featuring RuneQuest has just been published - featuring an interview with MOB!

INTRO: Three years of GROGPODing and Forty Years of RuneQuest seems like a great point in time to revisit the game that we played the most back in the day. RQ3 contributed to us stopping playing, so this is a chance to revisit the game and see what happened when we stopped playing. The sound is a bit haywire on this podcast, hope it doesn’t spoil things too much.

OPENBOX: Chaosium’s Vice President tells the stories of his formative years in role-playing and how RuneQuest in Glorantha was so important to him. He was instrumental in keeping the flame alive as a fan as he wrote and developed Sun County, the first RuneQuest supplement produced for 8 years, following Avalon Hill acquiring the game in 1984. He wrote a report in the early nineties for The Tales of the Reaching Moon explaining how the game could be revived.  This is a great chat about the nineties renaissance.

THE WHITE DWARF: A survey of RQ3 as it appeared (and disappeared) from White Dwarf, written by the wonderful @dailydwarf

JUDGE BLYTHY RULES! Dirk and Blythy pick over the bones of RQ3 and there’s a monster quiz!

OUTRO: Check out the RuneQuest Actual Play with The Smart Party   . If you’d like the GROGZINE 19 and The Collected Daily Dwarf Vol 3 and Judge Blythy’s Book of Judgments — then please chuck us a tip in the beret and join the Patreon campaign

Part 2 will be out late August/ early September.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dirk_the_Dice said:

Hi All 

The third episode of The GROGNARD files featuring RuneQuest has just been published - featuring an interview with MOB!

INTRO: Three years of GROGPODing and Forty Years of RuneQuest seems like a great point in time to revisit the game that we played the most back in the day. RQ3 contributed to us stopping playing, so this is a chance to revisit the game and see what happened when we stopped playing. The sound is a bit haywire on this podcast, hope it doesn’t spoil things too much.

OPENBOX: Chaosium’s Vice President tells the stories of his formative years in role-playing and how RuneQuest in Glorantha was so important to him. He was instrumental in keeping the flame alive as a fan as he wrote and developed Sun County, the first RuneQuest supplement produced for 8 years, following Avalon Hill acquiring the game in 1984. He wrote a report in the early nineties for The Tales of the Reaching Moon explaining how the game could be revived.  This is a great chat about the nineties renaissance.

THE WHITE DWARF: A survey of RQ3 as it appeared (and disappeared) from White Dwarf, written by the wonderful @dailydwarf

JUDGE BLYTHY RULES! Dirk and Blythy pick over the bones of RQ3 and there’s a monster quiz!

OUTRO: Check out the RuneQuest Actual Play with The Smart Party   . If you’d like the GROGZINE 19 and The Collected Daily Dwarf Vol 3 and Judge Blythy’s Book of Judgments — then please chuck us a tip in the beret and join the Patreon campaign

Part 2 will be out late August/ early September.

A very enjoyable discussion, thanks Dirk!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2