Extra Action Points from Spells

Runeblogger

Hi,

In my current campaign in 16th c. Japan, one of the PCs is a Shinto priest. He can summon a level 2 kami (spirit) that gives him 2 extra AP for a total of 5.
Now another character is a samurai warrior who has recently devoted a year and a half learning how to awaken his ki.
If successful in a Meditation roll, he can gain 1 extra AP in combat (for a total of 4).

Now I'm thinking of letting the Shinto priest only use these extra APs for non-offensive actions. But here's the question: if he can only use those 2 extra APs for non-offensive actions, are those always his last two actions in a turn or can he choose to use those 2 APs at the beginning for defending and then use his own 3 APs for three attacks? (Or 1 attack, 1 defense, 1 attack, 1 defense and 1 attack?)

I think the latter is correct, but I'd like to know what people think about this. ;)

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

I would go with "use as necessary," assuming that insight and conditioning of the Ki or "inner spirit/third eye" has produced a greater awareness of the future or perception of subtle changes in stance/movement/body language and the universe around them.  Especially if you labeled them Action Points, not defense points or attack points.  Just my take on that.  Let them fight dammit! hehe...

Maybe I don't understand the question.  You can use AP for defense at any point in the cycle, when you are attacked.  That's a Reactive Action.  You only get one Proactive Action per cycle, at the point when Initiative indicates it's your turn, but Reactive Actions may occur at any time (unless you're caught flat-footed by Surprise).

Either of your characters, then, could spend their bonus defense-only AP at any point in any cycle of the round.  It doesn't have to be up front, or at the end, or anywhere in particular.  Only Proactive Actions are restricted that way.

Am I having a senior moment?  Have I misunderstood?

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

By RAW, these extra APs are only available for defensive actions..I think? And you can make any number of defensive, reactive actions, at any time, as long as you have APs to burn. I wouldn't restrict these bonus APs to be used only when you've run out of normal APs, it doesn't make much sense.

I'd treat an extra AP as an extra AP to be used as seen fit, but that's just me

The thing is, even if those extra APs can only be used for defensive actions, if you mix them thoroughly with his natural 3, there isn't much difference with them being just normal extra APs in combat, is it?

I mean, the only difference would be that he can "only" make three attacks, not five. So if an opponent attacks him twice, it's the same as if he just had five normal APs, since he is going to use two anyway to parry those attacks.

OK, maybe I'm just rambling... :huh:

Edited by Runeblogger

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

I think the defensive only-clause is an attempt at the dreaded game balance. I don't see that many situations where this rule would make things that much more balanced to begin with, and even in those situations I don't have much of a problem with letting characters who have spent the skill points and XP to be bad ass act appropriately..

I can agree with your rambling. Until one of my friends rolls up a fetish-laden mystic with a greatsword, then I might think differently. But I'll deal with that when I have to.

• Like 1

IIRC, there's a bit of boxed text in the Mysticism chapter about being careful not to accidentally create unbeatable Mystic warriors, who can boost their AP to ridiculous levels.  That may be useful here.  Yes, I agree, it's about game balance.  If  you don't see a problem here, don't worry about it.  Just use the extra AP as usual.

Yes, the point of this limiting is that he can only use (some or all of) his original AP for attacking.  The others can't be used that way.  They can free up those other points, so the difference may seem academic, but he can't get more attacks than his natural maximum.

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!