Extra Prax/Pavis scenarios?

mikkling

So, my old gaming group is returning to Glorantha, 25 years later, riding on the anticipation of new Runequest. Turns out they want to start by returning to the scene of their crimes -- they're gonna play Orlanthi exiles in Pavis, about 1618-19 ST. I still have my old (and some new) stuff -- Pavis and Big Rubble, Borderlands, Strangers in Prax, Shadows on the Borderland, River of Cradles, and Sun County. Oh, and Pavis: Gateway to Adventure. 

My question -- are there any good Prax/Pavis scenarios outside of those publications that you would recommend? Or good generic scenarios that can be modded to work in the Prax/Pavis setting? 

Best,

Mikael

• Like 1

Aside from tracking down old fanzines, you have all the published material (aside from the Guide to Glorantha which provides extensive survey of the Wastes).

There's some Pavis/Prax material in the RuleOne articles here: http://ruleonemagazine.com/index.php

Issue 15: Caves of Waha

Issue 13: Agape

Issue 12: Ghost Places of Prax

Issue 11: Flora and Fauna of Prax

And some others, but no scenarios that I recall.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Aside from tracking down old fanzines, you have all the published material (aside from the Guide to Glorantha which provides extensive survey of the Wastes).

There's some Pavis/Prax material in the RuleOne articles here: http://ruleonemagazine.com/index.php

Issue 15: Caves of Waha

Issue 13: Agape

Issue 12: Ghost Places of Prax

Issue 11: Flora and Fauna of Prax

And some others, but no scenarios that I recall.

There was a Broo heroquest, with the characters drawn in as adversaries.

Beyond Pavis had some extra adventures set in the Zola Fel area.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2017 at 4:24 AM, mikkling said:

So, my old gaming group is returning to Glorantha, 25 years later, riding on the anticipation of new Runequest. Turns out they want to start by returning to the scene of their crimes -- they're gonna play Orlanthi exiles in Pavis, about 1618-19 ST. I still have my old (and some new) stuff -- Pavis and Big Rubble, Borderlands, Strangers in Prax, Shadows on the Borderland, River of Cradles, and Sun County. Oh, and Pavis: Gateway to Adventure. 

My question -- are there any good Prax/Pavis scenarios outside of those publications that you would recommend? Or good generic scenarios that can be modded to work in the Prax/Pavis setting? 

Uhhhh ... you have a -=LOT=- of material there !!!   I'm not quite clear what more you want?

One seemingly-common mod (I plan to do it myself, to kick off the campaign I hope to launch shortly) is to relocate "Apple Lane" (Gringle's Pawnshop) to be "Date Palm Way" on a Praxian caravan-route, or an oasis / etc, with the "Rainbow Mounds" nearby,

I'm going to do a bit more modding to it -- the canonical array of creatures/foes has IMHO a more "Dragon Pass" feel than "Praxian" to me, so I'm changing up some of these.  In particular, I'm altering the Baboon's hired muscle ("Xarban''s Gang"), which I will replace with a motley crew of Darkness folk:  two or three Morokanth; a Troll (+ maybe some Trollkin) associated with Whiteye of RainbowMound repute; rounding out with some Humans (likely exile/renegade Nomad folk) with runic or Cultic Darkness-affiliations -- once I know how tough the PC's are.

For a Pavic campaign, I'd paint a Black Fang wash over some or all of the Baboons' hirelings, and place "Date Palm Way" at a nice 1-day Caravan-journey (half a day or less for a motivated traveller not encumbered by a caravan!) from Pavis.  I'd make Whiteye a solid Black Fank cultist, and add some nice BlankFang-in-Pavis info/clues (a letter?  a map?  a cipher-key?) to the rewards of Rainbow Mound (speaking of which -- I'm undecided whether to "dry out" Rainbow Mound (replacing moisture-loving critters with dryness & heat-loving ones) or leave it as-is) .

I'm going to place my version at the head of a broad wash, descending from Vulture Country down into the Zola Fel valley; a primary route for anyone (e.g. merchant caravans) looking for easy access between Pavis and the top of the (generally quite-challenging) cliffs, but probably equally-close to Weis+Rausfort as Pavis.  I plan on a Borderland rather than Pavic campaign, so I won't swing it so hard that Pavis-ward...

Edited by g33k
clarity

C'es ne pas un .sig

Have a look at http://www.soltakss.com/pavis01.html for those Pavic/Praxian scenarios that I know of. There is also a Timeline that might help to glue them together.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

13 minutes ago, mikkling said:

Cool. Are the Pavis and Big Rubble Companions available anywhere? I was entirely unaware of these. 

They are on my bookshelves! :)

As far as I know, these are now out of print. They are non-canonical but have a lot of good ideas and a lot of scenarios. I have got some of the scenarios on PDF and am sure that they are available on the web, somewhere.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 1/28/2017 at 11:57 PM, TRose said:

Might mention its possible to MOVE other scenarios to Pavis. I moved Apple Lane to a small village Outside Pavis with no problem.

Yes I totally agree, as you could easily find scenarios on the web for games like D&D, and just re-trap it with Pavic and Praxian flavour. It's not much harder than having an actual game already designed for the setting, and often gives you more wiggle room with your NPCs. 

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Yes I totally agree, as you could easily find scenarios on the web for games like D&D, and just re-trap it with Pavic and Praxian flavour. It's not much harder than having an actual game already designed for the setting, and often gives you more wiggle room with your NPCs. 

The only hitch I've found in conversions (I do a lot, and it's a big one, IMO) is that none of these adventures conceptualize the immanence of spirits as Glorantha does.  And, I've always been troubled by spirits as I've found them rather a brittle thing: a party slightly underprepared can get ANNIHILATED by even a moderate spirit opponent, while a minimally prepared party can largely ignore them unless they're overwhelmingly tough.

So adding them can be touchy and perhaps the most contextually delicate process.

• Like 1

Pavis & Big Rubble can be had as a combined PDF (with a bit of ancillary content incorporated) in the "Gloranthan Classics" line --  http://www.chaosium.com/glorantha-classics/

It is the only volume (of the 4 "Classics") that's out of physical print; but if PDF suffices, there you go!  It's also worth noting that the originals are being re-released via the "RQ Classic" Kickstarter, and are apparently the next-up in the production schedule.  Again, the PDF's will be out a *LOT* sooner than the physical books.

If you really need the actual corpses of Aldryami in your hands, you may need to find used copies (of either the original two, or MoonDesign's "Classics" edition).

Edit:  Whups!  I had missed that the query was about the "P&BR Companion" fanzine...  Sorry!  The data above remains correct, so I won't edit it away... but not pertinent to the request, for which my apologies!

Edited by g33k
clarifying/correcting a misunderstanding
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 1/27/2017 at 4:50 PM, Pentallion said:

I'm pretty sure the Black Fang would not allow a troll into their cult.

They are notably broad-minded on matters of race:  they raid EVERYONE, regardless.  :ph34r:

I had presumed they were similarly "enlightened" in their membership... :blink:

C'es ne pas un .sig

21 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I have a few spare copies if you want to private message me.

This looks like material that would be very popular... Might there be any way (going back to the original author(s)/publisher(s), I presume) to get it available again?

Ditto some of the other "Ancient Lore" from back in the day.  I guess this is really outside the Chaosium/MoonDesign core mission... but dang it'd be nice if those of us without complete collections could get access to some of this stuff!

What is the current "fan publication" policy -- it seems relevant here!  This is a fairly high-overhead project... :-( And possibly an impossible one -- even if the original publishers got right-to-republish-or-reprint contracts from authors/artists, they probably didn't KEEP those contracts (from a multi-decade old fanzine).

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

What is the current "fan publication" policy -- it seems relevant here!  This is a fairly high-overhead project... :-( And possibly an impossible one -- even if the original publishers got right-to-republish-or-reprint contracts from authors/artists

It depends on the fanzine, but in most like TotRM or NLG, materials are copyright of the original authors.

The best model for most fan publications would be to sell the books/magazines as PDFs and also sell the printed books on a POD site like Lulu or DrivethruRPG.

Believe it or not, this is not something that Moon Design or Chaosium has ever opposed when asked. Quite frankly, we almost never get asked by the past publishers.

I don't know why more have not done this, other than some of the very early products may not currently exist in electronic format that is easily usable, like a good PDF.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

3 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Believe it or not, this is not something that Moon Design or Chaosium has ever opposed when asked. Quite frankly, we almost never get asked by the past publishers.

I completely believe it!  Y'all have never struck me as particularly stupid, or fan-hostile... and I have always found it both stupid AND fan-hostile to need such tight control over the IP that fanzine's needed to be shut down...  :blink:

FWIW, however, the entire DNS domain "nzrpga.org.nz" cited on @soltakss' page(a sub-page of which hosted the 'zine in question) is gone.  So unless someone has another way to reach the publisher(s) -- or the page(s) have been re-hosted elsewhere -- the content is gone, too.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 02/02/2017 at 1:35 AM, g33k said:

FWIW, however, the entire DNS domain "nzrpga.org.nz" cited on @soltakss' page(a sub-page of which hosted the 'zine in question) is gone.  So unless someone has another way to reach the publisher(s) -- or the page(s) have been re-hosted elsewhere -- the content is gone, too.

The way back machine https://web.archive.org/ has a copy of the site. It has a list of contents of the books but not the contents. There's also a pdf errata for the Masks of Pavis available from version of the site stored on the wayback machine if you get a printed copy.

I got a lot of my Pavis information from River of Cradles, though later I also bought Borderlands and Shadows on the Borderlands. I've used  chunks of all of those in adventures. One thing that was disappointing though. At the time (this was a few years ago now) there was very little available supplemental material about the Big Rubble. Even though the Troubled Waters campaign finshed there I didn't have much extra information.

• 8 months later...