Advantages and Disadvantages

Kesendeja

I think I recall someone saying that Cthulhu By Gaslight had some advantage / disadvantage type traits, but don't quote me on that.  Someone else might be able to confirm or deny.

The Big Gold Book has powers that could cover supernatural / superpowered merits, and there some character failings in the superpower section that you could mine for disadvantages.  You could also look to the wound tables for material that could mimic physical handicap disadvantages.

In general, I think fans of BRP aren't usually too into the whole advantage / disadvantage thing, so there's just not a ton that I know of in official products, but it's certainly no harder to cobble together than for most systems.  Advantages just tend to be powers, or just bonuses to skills / attributes, or something that can be easily incorporated into a character's background (wealth, connections, etc.), or just plain roleplayed; disadvantages can just be the reverse of any of those.

• Like 2

Yep I agree, go for the Stunts system from 'Blood Tide' if you are using the BRP BGB.

In addition to this, the new CoC 7E 'Pulp Cthulhu' book has a wide range of Pulp Talents to choose from.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

8 hours ago, kreider204 said:

I think I recall someone saying that Cthulhu By Gaslight had some advantage / disadvantage type traits, but don't quote me on that.  Someone else might be able to confirm or deny.

The latest version of Cthulhu by Gaslight does indeed have a set of Character Traits rules that have advantageous and disadvantageous traits. The GM is advised to either ignore any rolled disadvantageous traits or give the players some extra skill points to keep the trait, if the player baulks at having rolled one.

• Like 1
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

• 1 month later...
On 2/3/2017 at 4:37 AM, Kesendeja said:

I have several players comming off of White Wolf and were asking if there was a system of merits and flaws to round out characters in BRP. If not how hard would it be to make one, Rubble and Ruin has something similar, just super tailored for the setting.

Superworld had the basic framework for them, and a buch. While it was geared toward Superhero characters, it could be adapted to other settings. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.