Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sunwolfe

Unarmed Combat Skill and Grapple

3 posts in this topic

Greetings Newt and sundry:

I'd like to ask for some clarification concerning the process of Unarmed Combat and Grappling. The issue concerns the proscribed "...one Combat Action...and one Combat Reaction...per combat round." I offer four scenarios, and while I'm not necessarily seeking comment on all four, I do hope some one can explain step-by-step how a grappling round proceeds. Is it an exception to normal combat procedure?

Thanks in advance,

Scenario one: Wherein Bob the Samurai gets two chances "...to dish out the damage!"

Gary the Ninja declares he's making a single Unarmed Combat Attack (UCA) with an intention to grapple. Turns out he has DEX-rank on Bob the Samurai, so Gary takes his ACTION, rolls his attack and hits.

Bob the Samurai then makes his REACTION and tries to parry or dodge Gary's attack. Bob too succeeds and with his parry inflicts 1d8 worth of damage because Bob's katana is a "...crafted weapon..." Bummer, Gary.

To add insult to injury Bob now takes his ACTION and swipes at Gary with his katana.

Ninja Gary, however, fast guy that he is, takes his REACTION in the form of a successful dodge.

End of scenario one: all parties got one A & R each and Gary is wondering why he chose to grapple with an unsympathetic samurai in the first place.

Scenario two: Wherein Bob the Samurai objects to the "...injustice of it all!"

Gary the Ninja declares he's making a single Unarmed Combat Attack (UCA) with an intention to grapple. Turns out he has DEX-rank on Bob the Samurai, so Gary takes his ACTION, rolls his attack and hits.

Bob the Samurai then makes his REACTION and tries to parry or dodge Gary's attack. Bob FAILS.

Gary does not do any damage at this point: "Instead [Gary the Ninja] opposes his UCS to [Bob the Samurai's] UCS, in a roll similar to an opposed skill test" (58). Gary succeeds, "...and immediately follows up on this success by Throwing, Inflicting pain or immobilis[ing] the target"(58).

Gary scratches his head, "So I have to roll my Unarmed skill again? Didn't I win?"

"Yeah! It's like he gets another ACTION...where's my ACTION?" demands Bob.

"Right. Sorry" mumbles the GM once again and turning back to his reference sees that Bob may "...attempt to break free or may attempt to turn the tables on..." Gary. "Go ahead and try to Break Free with a UCS. If you succeed and Gary fails then you will have "...succeeded in breaking free--"

"Wait a bloody minute," Gary interjects. "Didn't I win earlier and he fail? Didn't I grapple him?!"

Gary and Bob rise from the table and, on the living room floor, begin acting out the now stalled round while the GM mumbling curses frantically re-reads the grappling rules.

End of scenario two...and the game. All parties didn't seem to get an A & R each.

Scenario three: Wherein Bob the Samurai accepts the situation but thinks "...it were crap."

Bob the Samurai then makes his REACTION and tries to parry or dodge Gary's attack. Bob FAILS.

Bob and Gary now oppose each other with UCAs; Gary succeeds and Bob again fails.

Gary applies the Inflict Pain option, and Bob takes damage.

Bob asks when he can take his ACTION, and the GM explains he already did in his opposed roll.

With a raised eye-brow, Bob nods and asks politely what he can do to break Gary's hold?

The GM explains politely in return that he may attempt to Break Free once per round, which he already did just after he failed to counter Gary's attack.

"Hmmm..." says Bob as he checks off hit-points. He then turns to his smart-phone and begins checking his messages.

End of scenario three...and Bob's interest. Gary of course, can't wait until next round. Did all parties get an A & R each?

Scenario Four: Wherein Bob the Samurai accepts but makes an observation

Bob and Gary now oppose each other with UCAs; Gary succeeds and Bob again fails.

Gary applies the Inflict Pain option, and Bob takes damage.

As Bob checks off the damage, the GM offers that, "...you'll be able to attempt to Break Free next round..."

Bob nods, "This grapple thing...it sure isn't like Close Combat: he acts; I react; I act; he reacts..."

End of scenario four. All parties did not get an A & R each nor will they get them next round...Gary still has control, he will inflict damage (an action); Bob will try to Break Free (a reaction) and the round will end free or not.

Edited by Sunwolfe
punctuation

I think the moral of the tale is "Grappling a Samurai armed with a katana is probably a mistake".

LOL! No doubt, Simon, no doubt :D