Warding

Noita

20 minutes ago, Iskallor said:

Does the disruption aspect of this spell work without needing to roll POW vs POW?

Yes, that is how we always played  it.

Wherever the supplements mention Warding, they don't mention the POW of the caster, again implying it doesn't need POW vs POW.

You could assume POW 18, if cast by a priest, but better to make it automatic damage.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

6 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Yes that's what I thought too. A pc in my game just got hit by a Warding 4, whilst climbing. It doesn't look good...

We were climbing down a shaft to get to a shrine and were hit by a Warding 4 that covered the width of the shaft, one PC took a lot of damage to an arm and fell off the rope, straight through the second Warding 4 immediately below. Not nice at all.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

We used to play that wardings were effectively backed by the deity's POW.  

21 minutes ago, soltakss said:

We were climbing down a shaft to get to a shrine and were hit by a Warding 4 that covered the width of the shaft, one PC took a lot of damage to an arm and fell off the rope, straight through the second Warding 4 immediately below. Not nice at all.

So were they dead before or after they hit the ground (assuming it was ground, not spikes they hit) ?  It sounds like someone designed a tomb properly.

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

Pretty much the same thang. Had three hit points left falling and then splat. 

That is why Hit Locations are your friend - You just hope it gets a limb and, hopefully, the same limb twice (We used to call it a 70% Natural Defence)

4 hours ago, Iskallor said:

Can countermagic protect? Probably not as it's a rune spell.

Sure, we played that Shield 4 blocked Warding 4, as it is just a spell. Blinding is a runespell and is blocked by Countermagic, so why not Warding?

We played that Warding could not be dispelled, but it could be blocked.

Normally, when someone got hit by a Warding, we would power up with Shield 4 just in case. Soltak Stormspear, my main PC, had gained a 7 point Enhancer as a Powered Crystal and then had it boosted to a 9 Point Enhancer on a HeroQuest (Rolled randomly, added or subtracted 1D3 POT from a powered crystal, I got lucky) and had a shedload of Cult Credit, so I bought Countermagic 9 and could cast Countermagic 18 at a pinch, with Shield 4 that gave me Countermagic 26, which tended to be enough to block most spells.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

That is why Hit Locations are your friend - You just hope it gets a limb and, hopefully, the same limb twice (We used to call it a 70% Natural Defence)

We call it the zombie defense....if you're fighting something with lots of legs that isn't discomfited by losing them, it can amount to substantial immunity from otherwise-devastating hits.

On 3/6/2017 at 6:44 AM, soltakss said:

Sure, we played that Shield 4 blocked Warding 4, as it is just a spell. Blinding is a runespell and is blocked by Countermagic, so why not Warding?

We played that Warding could not be dispelled, but it could be blocked.

Normally, when someone got hit by a Warding, we would power up with Shield 4 just in case. Soltak Stormspear, my main PC, had gained a 7 point Enhancer as a Powered Crystal and then had it boosted to a 9 Point Enhancer on a HeroQuest (Rolled randomly, added or subtracted 1D3 POT from a powered crystal, I got lucky) and had a shedload of Cult Credit, so I bought Countermagic 9 and could cast Countermagic 18 at a pinch, with Shield 4 that gave me Countermagic 26, which tended to be enough to block most spells.

I remember reading somewhere in an actual adventure, but I forget where, that when you dispel Warding - which you can do - that it is only temporary until the dispel wears off, since dispel is temporal and warding is not.

• Like 1