Victorian era equipment?

Henrox

Hello Everyone!

I'm new here around BRP and after seeing the different systems and worlds i threw DnD on the pause shelf and went straight here.

However, after having decided on a setting and an era (Industrial-Late Victorian age) I noticed the big problem. No equipment or any balanced lists of any kind.

So, does anyone of you have one lying around that is balanced to be used with already made lists such as those in other books?

It is unfortunate that blackpowder weapons of the early napoleonic era and firearms of the modern era are plentiful but nothing inbetween!

Hope you all have a continued great day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mysterioso said:

Cthulhu by Gaslight has exactly what you need.  There was also a Miskatonic monograph The Gaslight Equipment Catalog.  That might still be available as a PDF.

Cthulhu by Gaslight  - $29 for Deadtree (I believe the PDF comes free with the printed)

Gaslight Equipment Catalogue - $10 pdf.  I believe Chaosium has said they are interested in getting all their PDFs available for easy POD, but I don't think it's a reality yet.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Also relevant is to ask whether you're playing your Victoriana with a Steampunk twist, or "Hidden Occult"...

or full-bore gonzo Weird Science + Magitech + ElderRaces in Her Majesty's Government ...?

Because it's always possible you want to raid other games for gear-lists, and the steam-tech/magitech/wierd-science games are relatively plentiful; GURPS Steam-tech, and Castle Falkenstein (esp the Steam Age supplement), Space 1889 and Deadlands (especially the Smith&Robards catalog) all spring to mind.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

There was another rather neat monograph for BRP, Agents of the Crown that is worth looking at.  (As it was a great little set-up, I wish the author would take it over to Renaissance and it was done in the style of C&W's Dark Streets with everything (setting, rules, etc.) in one place.)

AGENTS OF THE CROWN combines Victorian heroic action in the tradition of pulp stories, comic books, and the Penny Dreadfuls of the 19th century with the solid play and tremendous versatility of the Basic Roleplaying system.

Agents of the Crown allows players to take the roles of super-agents in Victorian England serving Queen and Country combating evil in a myriad of forms. Whether foiling assassination attempts against the country's Royals or members of Parliament, or rooting out vile cult activity amidst the sweat and squalor of London's Bainbridge Rookery, the operatives of her Royal Majesty Queen Victoria know the truth. Evil is out there.

Its minions are legion. They inhabit the edges of England's vast, world-spanning empire, corrupting, waiting for their chance to sew chaos and disorder. And so the Agents of the Crown must face these threats as they come. Their lives are sometimes lost in the cause, but never given cheaply. Indeed, the Agents possess powers and skills beyond the average man or woman's. Whether by accident of birth, or from the borne of the world's brave new sciences, they are often more than human. Yet still it is their courage that most sets them apart from ordinary citizens, for they must endure hardships that run the gamut of human experience and beyond. One day it might be a terrible threat from beyond space and time, while the next it might be an all too human killer who stalks the innocent along rain-slicked cobblestone streets.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/82062/Agents-of-the-Crown?term=agents+of+the+crown&test_epoch=0

• Like 3

g33k, I'm going for the more realistic approach with very little steampunk added and instead more raw magic vs science with just a small amount of overlap.

Thanks for your tips, I will have a look at them!

Thank you again Mysterioso, I will have a look at that one too when given the chance.

3 hours ago, Henrox said:

g33k, I'm going for the more realistic approach with very little steampunk added and instead more raw magic vs science with just a small amount of overlap.

For pretty-realistic "Victoriana" tech I think the "Gaslight" titles (and Wild-West themed monographs) will do you well.

For additional magic, you might consider looking at Enlightened Magic and see if it suits.  The author (Snead) is really good with authentic, historically-inspired magic-systems based on folkloric sources / historically-recorded beliefs / etc ...

C'es ne pas un .sig