First glimpse of our Free RPG Day cover... RQ Quickstart

MOB

6 hours ago, soltakss said:

She's not a PC as she has the Fate Rune ...

Naw... the SWORD has the Fate Rune, not the PC.

The sword is an intelligent Holy Avenger, with its own Int & Ego, and it's an NPC in its own right...

C'es ne pas un .sig

This was a great idea when the Design Mechanism did it, and its gonna look great with the new Chaosium edition of RQ!

Yes yes yes :D

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

A final snip from the cover of the new RuneQuest Quickstart rules. (Andrey's homage to Luise Perrine's wonderful RQ2 art is not quite 100% finished, but should be ready to reveal in a day or so...)

17191471_733629300130401_980872029530230

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aprewett said:

How does this work, if we have no local gaming shop, is it ever released later on? I have seen these before with other companies and have never worked out how to get it.

Some companies release specific products FOR "Free RPG Day" -- they print plenty & ship 'em to game-stores; there's usually some left over, and the game-stores do whatever with 'em.  Then they're gone (though often still available in PDF form).

However, *THIS* is going to be the RQ Quickstart set, an ongoing resource; Chaosium is just choosing to launch on Free RPG Day.  You should expect it to be available for the life of the edition: until / unless Chaosium decides to produce a new edition (based on Chaosium's history here, that will be either 2ish years (RQ1 to RQ2) or 40ish years (RQ2 to RQthis) ) .

If I had to guess, I would guess that Chaosium will begin accepting orders for the Quickstart ruleset sometime from ... oh... the Monday following "Free RPG Day" possibly as late as a month or two after (depending on contractual obligations for a period of "exclusivity").  But I'm neither Chaosium nor FreeRPGDay, so I'm just guessing.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

It is listed as one of the included items in the stuff the Free RPG Day distribute (10 per box iirc).

Other companies with a similar product (e.g. Green Ronin's Dragon AGE QuickStart, which was originally released as part of a previous Free RPG Day) make a small print run available via Free RPG Day and then they put the PDF up for free (or maybe a small charge, and maybe with a PoD option). I could see Chaosium doing something similar.

http://www.freerpgday.com/

http://greenroninstore.com/collections/dragon-age-rpg/products/dragon-age-rpg-quickstart-guide-pdf

Cheers,

Nick

6 hours ago, Aprewett said:

How does this work, if we have no local gaming shop, is it ever released later on? I have seen these before with other companies and have never worked out how to get it.

Free RPG Day this year is Saturday June 17th. Unlike last year there will be 10 copies of our offering in each retailer pack, instead of two. 

Participating publishers agree that Free RPG Day products won't be disseminated anywhere else until Saturday July 1st, 2017, either in print or PDF.

Last year, on July 1st, all members of the Cult of Chaos organized play program were able to download our Free RPG Day 2016 offering for free.  Shortly after, The Derelict was also available in print via POD from Lulu.com.

We'll be doing something similar this year.

If you want a copy of the RQ Quickstart and miss out on Free RPG Day due to unavailability or distance, you'll be able to get a hold of a copy one way or another from July 1st onwards.

• Like 5

These image previews look very good. I really like the classic bronze age feel in the detailing. Another example of new Chaosium & new Runequest getting the vibe right. I do wonder whether it could be a bit more gritty, suggesting the realism of Runequest, a little grime and dirt? But I'm being picky, this looks very promising for a new statement on a classic game. Look forward to seeing the whole image and how the attacker is portrayed

20 hours ago, Lord High Munchkin said:

... And the front bottom edge of her cuirass is remarkably flat (almost concave).

Yeah, that's often the way flexible stuff drapes -- particularly given the wide stance taken!

C'es ne pas un .sig