BRP - How good for "newbies"?

PoppySeed45

3 hours ago, StanTheMan said:

Interesting! As I said, I'm really looking hard at BRP for my next campaign. Still trying to decide between it, Fate, and GURPS. I know, all over the place, but each has their issues. BRP might be the best "compromise", especially for the almost total newbie in our group.

Well... a LOT depends on the particulars of your "almost total newbie."  Someone with a literary or theater background might take to Fate "Aspects" like a duck to water (in which case:  Fate in Glorantha?); someone with a math/computer/etc background might gravitate to GURPS; etc.

If none of these games really "stand out" as notably better for your group, you might try running a similar-themed Quickstart in each system...  see if that helps you (or the group) figure out which would play best (I specify "similar-theme" so a genre-preference doesn't skew the results over mechanics-preference).

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/7/2017 at 1:25 PM, KPhan2121 said:

One of the things I found that works great for every game I've ran was to have a "Fiction First" Policy. Have the players describe what their characters are doing, what they hope to accomplish first. We determined what mechanics are used and the consequences of failure afterwards.

I like the "fiction first" point a lot. That's how I prefer to run my narratives, but it drives gameplay very well in BRP. In 3.5 D&D I ended up doing this a lot of the time anyways since I didn't want to look up rules constantly for all the nonsense my PCs tried to do. If your players can get a grasp of that (not - I want to cast 3 levels of fireball at the person with the lowest resistance kind of thing) then they will enjoy BRP or any d100 based system really.

Edited by Robsbot
Trimmed quote