First playtest of 'The Broken Tower', RQ Quickstart scenario

MOB

We've got together an eclectic playtest group for The Broken Tower: ages ranging from 16 - mid-50s, at least one hard-core RQ fan from way back, a couple who know a bit about Glorantha from playing King of Dragon Pass, a Call of Cthulhu player or two, and some casual gamers new to it all.

17264889_736542576505740_581746775314863

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Please tell us more details about the adventure! :lol:
How many pages long is it? Where is it set?

I'm pretty sure the "Quickstart" package is 48pp; not sure of the layout and whether it's cleanly split rules/adventure, or intermixed to help teach/demo...

I believe they've said the new edition is solidly based in Dragon Pass, so I presume the Quickstart is, too.

All that being said... I don't actually KNOW; all this is based on prior "informal" remarks, not "final" announcements.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, g33k said:

I'm pretty sure the "Quickstart" package is 48pp; not sure of the layout and whether it's cleanly split rules/adventure, or intermixed to help teach/demo...

I believe they've said the new edition is solidly based in Dragon Pass, so I presume the Quickstart is, too.

All that being said... I don't actually KNOW; all this is based on prior "informal" remarks, not "final" announcements.

Yes, we're aiming for the QS + Scenario to fit into 48pp, including pregen characters. 

The Broken Tower scenario is set in Dragon Pass, and is designed to take three hours.

Last night's playtest went very well, and generated quite a bit of constructive feedback.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, MOB said:

The Broken Tower scenario is set in Dragon Pass, and is designed to take three hours.

My group will take longer.

We take longer to play everything, than the original scenario-designer planned.

Even when I (or another GM) plays runs a scenario we created with our group in mind... we still take longer than planned.

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...

We're taking the new RuneQuest Quickstart scenario through its paces again tonight here in Bellevue, WA

17498431_742585195901478_580267001099313.

(Some of the party might know a thing or two about RuneQuest , but the GM for tonight's playtest of 'The Broken Tower' is a RQ and Glorantha newcomer, and doing an awesome job!)

Edited by MOB
  • Like 5

On 3/24/2017 at 11:37 AM, Atgxtg said:

Thanks. I wouldn't mind paying a nominal fee for a hard copy, but I doubt my FLGS will have the Quickstart. I'm in D20 country.

Call your game-store and ASK for them to get this...

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/13/2017 at 6:03 PM, Richard S. said:

@MOB So will the QS include char gen rules or will we have to stick to the pregens? Also, could you give us a broad overview of what rules the book will be covering?

No character generation rules. When you see the core RQ rulebook, you'll know why they could not possibly be contained in a quickstart. 

Here's an overview of the contents: 

RQ Quickstart Rules.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Jason Durall said:

No character generation rules. When you see the core RQ rulebook, you'll know why they could not possibly be contained in a quickstart. 

Here's an overview of the contents: 

RQ Quickstart Rules.png

Wow, thanks for posting.

Clearly, you have enough material for the page count already...but my $0.02 would be that including a half page? single cult writeup (Orlanth?) example under Gloranthan gods and cults would be a really useful 'teaser' since cults are such a *fundamental* element of the gameplay.

Edited by styopa

On 3/24/2017 at 3:47 PM, Pentallion said:

Dang!  I'm just an hour away from Bellevue.  I can almost taste RQ 4!!!!

Yeah... I'm in the same plane of existence, and I can almost taste it, too!!!

Oh wait... I did get a taste!  Steve Perrin was gracious enough to run a game (I think it was a segment of a campaign he's working on) at DunDraCon in February.

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, styopa said:

Clearly, you have enough material for the page count already...but my $0.02 would be that including a half page? single cult writeup (Orlanth?) example under Gloranthan gods and cults would be a really useful 'teaser' since cults are such a *fundamental* element of the gameplay.

It would be nice, but there just wasn't enough room. We literally went through shaving words off paragraphs to make things fit. The ultimate goal, also, was a good framework for an adventure in Glorantha, and since the adventure doesn't take place near any towns or temples, it didn't make sense to include it. 

• Like 1