Best scenario involving The King in Yellow

milkomix

So I've sat through the CriticalHit's CoC live play podcasts based on King in Yellow and got me an instant urge to host one. But sadly when I looked at the published stories in the store, they all seemed a bit too light hearted to me. One is on space the other medieval... I just want a straight up classic story based on the play's mystery, without huge monsters poping up all the time.

Long story short, do you guys have anything to recommend? Perhaps there is a scenario out there that I'm not aware of, I'm fairly new to CoC so don't know all the published stuff. 

Edited by milkomix
  • Like 1

Tatters of the King is a large adventure centred around stopping the King in Yellow coming to Earth - will that do?

Note: - I played it as a player and I think we all enjoyed it, though my character didn't 'come back' from the end (rolling 00 on a SAN check when into single digit SAN got the GM to pull me aside and tell me my charachter was now trying to help bring about the King's arrival).

Edited by Khedrac
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alter said:

Tell me have you seen the Yellow Sign? By K.Ross!

That's a great pick -- and it was only reprinted a year or two back by Golden Goblin Press (in "Tales of the Crescent City"). Kevin also wrote a new scenario for that book which is a direct sequel to "Tell Me Have You Seen The Yellow Sign?"

Other suggestions -- "Tatterdemalion" by Richard Watts & Penelope Love (in the book "Fatal Experiments") ... and for modern-day conspiracy creepiness, the obligatory "Night Floors" by Dennis Detwiller (in "Delta Green: Countdown").

Honestly, though, there are quite a lot of creepy and not-at-all-cheesy scenarios out there which showcase The King in Yellow -- it's a shame that those encountered by the OP weren't like that :)

Dean (from Adelaide)

• Like 3

• 6 years later...
3 hours ago, ColoradoCthulhu said:

I ran "Tatterdemalion" by Richard Watts as a one-shot years ago on Halloween night, as the scenario features a masked ball. Freaked my players out entirely, especially the trip to Carcosa!

I played that at Arcanacon years decades ago. My character (an artist) pulled off the King in Yellow's mask and went completely insane.

Edited by Questbird
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Questbird said:

I played that at Arcanacon years decades ago. My character (an artist) pulled off the King in Yellow's mask and went completely insane.

One of the players' characters (a circus acrobat and tarot reader) did the same thing but only went indefinitely insane (40 points SAN loss in one roll).

Good stuff have not heard of half the ones you guys are talking about. I did work the King in Yellow in my South Dakota campaign where he was one of several powers trying to control a portal that was constructed by a coalition a long time ago to thwart the plants of the "Dark ones". I also added a new home brew Mythos power one of the yellow Kings brides a former Valkyrie. I tossed in a few groups that had there own agendas including the Serpent people.

• Like 1