MoN - Firearm import visa

rom90125

Does anyone have any historical links that describe the firearm import visas required by the UK in 1925?   My group of Investigators are nearly done in NYC and have elected to continue on to London next.  I'm aware the UK had strict firearm import laws in 1925, and I'm looking for details on the required import visa (cost, time to obtain, etc).  Barring any such info, I'll very likely wing it.

Thanks!

There's a good discussion of European gun laws in 1923 in Book I of Horror on the Orient Express (2nd edition), if you have it; I won't reproduce the whole thing, which is worth reading, but the short version is that shotguns appear to be the only legal gun option for foreigners in England, as they aren't allowed to obtain licenses to carry handguns or rifles or sub-machine guns as required by the 1920 Firearms Act.

• Like 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

I seem recall to recall reading that if a person had a letter of good reference from a law enforcement authority in the US, and the Constable (Chief Constable perhaps) in the UK found things acceptable, the person may be allowed to being a firearm into the country.  The Constable could deny for most any reason they saw fit, so really there's a slim chance of legally bringing firearms into the UK.

• Like 2

Thank you for the helpful responses!  I have been fortunate enough to have recently purchased a gently used copy of the latest HotOE that was funded with the 7th ed. KS.  I will browse that resource this afternoon.  If all else fails, I will reference the 1920 Firearms Act and the need for the Investigators to attempt to obtain references from NYPD before setting sail for the UK.  I wonder if having a disgraced member of the NYPD in the group of Investigators will be a boon or hindrance in this case?  ;-)  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2017 at 10:49 AM, trystero said:

There's a good discussion of European gun laws in 1923 in Book I of Horror on the Orient Express (2nd edition), if you have it; I won't reproduce the whole thing, which is worth reading, but the short version is that shotguns appear to be the only legal gun option for foreigners in England, as they aren't allowed to obtain licenses to carry handguns or rifles or sub-machine guns as required by the 1920 Firearms Act.

Oh no !  Oh damn !  The only weapon legally obtainable for a foreigner in England is a shotgun?  Its also the only weapon with a base 25% chance to hit AND the only weapon that does 4d6 damage at close range.  So let me guess; the only melee weapon allowed to foreigners in England is the Poleaxe? :)

The last time I ran MoN, my group wanted to bring rifles and pistols with them.  I gave them the same instructions I described.  They were on good terms with a Police Chief, who wrote them the letter.  UK customs still denied them as when asked why they needed them, they responded "for self protection".  The customs official then asked what activities that they had planned that required that sort of protection, to which they gave general visiting and such.  The customs official denied them since he felt you shouldn't need guns for just visiting.

• Like 2

It depends a lot on both what type of firearm the character is trying to bring in and who they are and to whom they are connected. For instance, it is going to be difficult, if not impossible for someone to bring over a Thompson submachine gun. However it probably wouldn't be all that unheard of for a rich industrialist with contacts in the aristocracy to bring over a Holland & Holland rifle for hunting. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.