Starting Character Example

thefub

I was wondering if some one could post a starting character using the standard character sheet. There is not an example in the manual and I would like to see how it looks, especially the weapon and shield section.

I am used to Elric!/Stormbringer's skill distribution and I feel like I may be missing something.

Here is a quick and dirty character

Cultural skills 10, 10, 10

Occupation Skills: 60, 40,40,40,20,20,20,20

Free skills: 40,20,20,20

Capture.PNG

Note: I added 60 percentiles to 1H swords, 40 to bows and Shields and then added the base percentages and category bonus (the only part of my form-fillable sheet that doesn't autocalculate)

• Like 2

Thank you so much, Nick. This is exactly what I was looking for. It looks like I was not missing anything.

I do have a few questions. Can I add free points to skills from the character's culture?

Another thing question is with the wording on this: Distribute 40 points to one skill and 20 points each to three skills not included with your occupation.(page 20)

One could read this as: distribute 40 points to one skill (any skill of your choice)...

How are the above distributed? 

Edited by thefub
Added questions and rephrased sentence to match book.

The section explaining the point distribution in more detail spans pages 19 and 22. The section of it you want says:

"Finally, distribute 40 points to one skill and 20 points each to three skills not listed with your occupations. These represent personal interests, hobbies, and learning outside the scope of your Adventurer's occupation, and the points may not be added the previously selected skills" (22).

Thus, you're free to add those points to skills of your choice as long as they aren't perviously chosen skills.

Cheers!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

This is a good reason why having an example of character creation by the author is a good idea.

The text from the book contradicts itself. From my understanding culture skills are not part of the occupation. If one cannot put points in a skill from your culture with these extra points, then, putting 10 points into Craft ,for example, hinders you from using it as a personal interest later. I will most likely allow culture skills to be raised with these points.

Edit: The skills I am most referring to are the skills from the culture that are not in your occupation. So if craft is not in your occupation but is in your culture..

Edited by thefub
Clarification

On 3/25/2017 at 4:47 PM, thefub said:

This is a good reason why having an example of character creation by the author is a good idea.

The text from the book contradicts itself. From my understanding culture skills are not part of the occupation. If one cannot put points in a skill from your culture with these extra points, then, putting 10 points into Craft ,for example, hinders you from using it as a personal interest later. I will most likely allow culture skills to be raised with these points.

Edit: The skills I am most referring to are the skills from the culture that are not in your occupation. So if craft is not in your occupation but is in your culture..

There's no wrong way to do it. The only restriction you might want to consider is making sure no single skill starts with more than 60 points . . . or not.

• Like 1

I use the three +10% cultural skill bonuses as not affecting skill point totals, so you could get one skill getting 70 points.

Curious if there has been any debate on at high levels of experience do characters all start to look the same? All the PC's getting high weapon skills, and insight skills, and potion skills..., etc.? 

The Vanishing Tower RPG Blog Read about my attempts at FTF RPG in the wilderness!

19 hours ago, jagerfury said:

I use the three +10% cultural skill bonuses as not affecting skill point totals, so you could get one skill getting 70 points.

Curious if there has been any debate on at high levels of experience do characters all start to look the same? All the PC's getting high weapon skills, and insight skills, and potion skills..., etc.? 

I haven't really run a campaign into those levels (I'm still learning to be not so stingy with experience rolls).

Off-hand, I suspect that if my current campaign carries on for a bit longer, characters are going to start being more defined by the demons/elementals they bind, magic items they accumulate, and the sorts of Areté effects they get for 101+ skills.

This is the one area where I might incorporate the Legendary/Heroic abilities from 'Legend' for characters who have achieved skill mastery.

Edited by Nick J.
  • Like 2