BRP Computer Tools (multi-platform for preference...)

NickMiddleton

OK, I know of a few Windows PC based Character generators for RQIII and Call of Cthulhu, and one rather good one that styles itself as for "monograph" BRP.

But does anyone know of any for the Mac, or even better cross platform ones?

When I've run d20 in the past I dabbled with e-Tools and PCGen, but both were somewhat burdened by the complexities of the rule system they were trying to model (and the Byzantine complexities of the licensing...), whereas BRP seems like it ought to be far more straight forward to do.

IIRC there was some talk a few years back at the Tavern, but nothing came of it alas...

SO, anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Haven't tried Bootcamp yet, but then I'd pretty much decided I was going to wait for Leopard and then try it... But I'd prefer an OS X native tool, or at least a platform independent one really.

Did some Googling and predictably found loads of PC/Windows stuff.

Some of the existing ones:

For Windows:

http://www.edu-web.de/roleplaying/chaosium_brp_en.html

Call of Cthulhu specific version:

http://www.edu-web.de/cthulhu/cthulhu.html

Hugh Fosters stuff:

http://home2.btconnect.com/hughfoster/Downloads/Downloads.htm

Peter Keel's site:

http://seegras.discordia.ch/Roleplay/BRP/Software/

Matti Järvinen's

http://www.nysalor.net/runequest/generator.html

Paul Sommer

http://hjem.get2net.dk/royalpanto/rq4.zip

There's a couple of programs (again PC based IIRC) in the files of the RQAddicts Yahoo Group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/rqaddicts) and one if the files section of Ben moroe's RQIII group (http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/rq3)

Then it all gets a bit thin on the ground really...

Found this project on source forge (not touched for over two years):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rq4gen/

This Java Call of Cthulhu CG:

http://www.io.com/~jwtlai/CoC/CoCchar.html

Byakhee is now available from the Downloads section of Yog-sothoth.com

And that's it. Looks like there was a Mac native Call of Cthulhu character generator, but couldn't find a download site with a copy...

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Tools for BRP, no.

But I myself have put together FileMaker Pro databases that handle characters for COC, Nephilim, and my fantasy game (Stormbringer/RQ-based).

They don't generate characters, but they do all the math calculations. All I have to do is input the characteristics, character name, a few other details. I allocate initial skill points and then add more as experience comes.

It does all the math and puts it into a character sheet. Then I just print it out - voila!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I started this years ago, based around a RQIII character generator for browser. The project has really got rather large and unwieldy, and I doubt I'll ever complete the game. But it does include a character generator for some of the more acceptable races...

E-Quest

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

I'll try and see if I can work something up that will let you generate a character and then print it out. You won't be able to save it, but I should be able to program the generator so that you'll be able to generate a character and then print it.

First big thing I've got to work out is a character sheet that'll look good/work in a browser and also print decently.:D

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I'll try and see if I can work something up that will let you generate a character and then print it out. You won't be able to save it, but I should be able to program the generator so that you'll be able to generate a character and then print it.

First big thing I've got to work out is a character sheet that'll look good/work in a browser and also print decently.:D

Wow skunk...

Would this be for the new BRP, or the RuneQuest-esque, older BRP?

"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

- H.P. Lovecraft

Wow skunk...

Would this be for the new BRP, or the RuneQuest-esque, older BRP?

New BRP of course!:)

I've got another project to finish prior to starting on this, but I have been monkeying around with the character sheet so I am making some progress on it even though I should be concentrating on other things!

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

• 1 month later...

Wow, that's cool. I definitely want to hear about that when you're done. Thanks.

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Just an update as to where I'm at on my current project, I've almost finished the character tracking app for my current game and hope to begin work on a BRP html character sheet around the first of October.

Main problem with the slow progress is the fact that I've had to do quite a bit of data entry to get the current program finished.

Once I get the character sheet done, then I can focus on the webapp for character generation.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

• 3 months later...

Hey Skunkape, I just posted an updated version of my character sheet on the forum. We found the need for having some extra information in the Skills section. It was also nice to give each Power type its own page. If you're looking for format ideas go ahead and check it out. In fact, if you like the design you are free to use that as well. I also have a color version.

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=129&act=down

"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."

"When I examine myself and my methods of thought, I come to the conclusion that the gift of fantasy has meant more to me than any talent for abstract, positive thinking."

~Albert Einstein~

Thanks, I'd love to check that out :)

~Albert Einstein~

Hey Skunkape, I just posted an updated version of my character sheet on the forum. We found the need for having some extra information in the Skills section. It was also nice to give each Power type its own page. If you're looking for format ideas go ahead and check it out. In fact, if you like the design you are free to use that as well. I also have a color version.

http://basicroleplaying.com/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=129&act=down

I'm actually going to start coding the character sheet over the next month or so, and I like your sheet better than what I was using. My biggest problem will be getting a clean image for the background, so that'll be the last thing I add.

What I'm planning is a sheet with input fields that you enter your data in, with the sheet calculating out the secondary stats and skill category bonuses automatically. When you're all done, there will be a button that you press to give you a printable version of the sheet.

One last angle I'm considering is allowing you to save the data in a cookie on your computer, but that will mean you can only save 1 character, which if you have saved a character, when you first go to the sheet, it will ask if you want to load the saved character or create a new one.

Soon as I get something layed out, I'll post the url to it.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

I'm actually going to start coding the character sheet over the next month or so, and I like your sheet better than what I was using. My biggest problem will be getting a clean image for the background, so that'll be the last thing I add.

Great--if I can help in any way, just let me know!

~Albert Einstein~

Sadly, it seems the forum doesn't recognize FMPro files, so I couldn't upload them.

Here's a couple fuzzy scans of the character sheets - one for COC, one for the "Celtic" fantasy campaign I'm developing, and some screencaps. Basically, all the necessary calculations are in the database - all you have to do is input stats, allocate skill points, put in a little bit of info about your weapons. The database does all the addition, adds all the bases and bonuses and modifiers, and voila - spits out a character sheet. Takes probably less than 10 minutes to do a complete character.

post-47-140468074235_thumb.jpg

post-47-140468074238_thumb.jpg

post-47-140468074241_thumb.jpg

post-47-140468074244_thumb.jpg

post-47-140468074247_thumb.jpg

These look great--did you design this yourself? It looks like it calculates special and critical successes for skills. Can it provide extra hit locations? You might want to ask Sverre (aka Trifletraxor) if he can upload the files for you.

~Albert Einstein~

These look great--did you design this yourself? It looks like it calculates special and critical successes for skills. Can it provide extra hit locations? You might want to ask Sverre (aka Trifletraxor) if he can upload the files for you.
Since I made it for my personal campaign, and I don't use hit locations, it doesn't. Hit locations could be added, along with fatigue (which I also don't use) et al. It does calculate special/critical/fumble and puts them right on the sheet, also the damage for special/critical hits is right there, too. The visual look of the sheets is my own design, and the great thing about FMPro is you can set up different kinds of sheets - so, for example, the "Saxon" characters for my "Celtic" campaign (they won't be called Saxons or Celts) have a different sheet that uses a rune-like font and has a futhark-rune border instead of the Celtic knotwork. FMPro's easy to use and easy to learn, but isn't cheap ($250 or so). Of course, it has many applications outside of gaming.

Yeah, if Sverre can help upload, I'd be happy to put the files up.

• 4 weeks later...

Trifletraxor;

Well, they list in my files as .FP3

Sorry for the late reply, but that's a to exotic extension for the download software. Emailing is probably the best distribution method for those who show interest.

Just came across this in a post on rpg.net It installs under Linux with Wine, but I haven't tried it yet.

NBOS Character Sheet Designer v1.0

Sweet!

:beetle:

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.