BRP Computer Tools (multi-platform for preference...)

NickMiddleton

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an active link for the Windows BRP Chargen 4.10, or would mind sending me the program? I've spent 45 minutes going to the same File Not Found page in german.

Someone else posted this in another thread I believe:

Chaosium BRP Charakter Generator 4.10 (Freeware)

worked for me last I checked (more recently than your post)

edit: seems like something that might be able to be hosted here in the downloads section, considering it's freeware and the original hosting site is down?

Hey, BRPians:

That's a great program for NPCs. I've used it for sometime now...I almost want to say that I used it before...like it was modified to sport "BRP" in the title--in fact, I'd almost swear I did...shrug. Do we know who created it? It would be great if it it could be updated and list BRP Magic, Mutations, Psychic, Sorcery and Super powers, spells and abilities in addition to the RQ Sorcery, Spirit and Divine magic. Maybe even list BRP skills.

Maybe I'm thinkin' of "RPG Rabbles V6.1" AKA "WinRabble" which I used once upon a time to generate RQ-NPC mooks. It's a sweet little program I d/led from here. It organizes NPCs in a list format that uses less printer ink, lets you adujust the difficulty of the opponents generated, lets you choose from a few RQ III supplement weapon lists--Viking for example, lets you generate a crap-load of enemies (I generated 1000 once just to see if it could :shocked: ), but it doesn't list Hit Locations or Character stats or treasure or race or give a spell option...it's definitely for a hit-parade of meat for your players to hack.

To crank out a full character (or an important NPC with skills), however, I use to use the RQ3 - Character Generator Version 2.0F (Build 229) © 2001 by Kevin Spencer. Any of you guys have/use it? I did a quick Google search but rolled snake-eyes.

I wish I knew more about 'puter language and all that, so I could write a program specifically for BRP the would roll up both NPC and PCs.

Maybe in my next life :D

Sunwolfe

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Greetings!

This post is probably premature, but I figured that the utility may be in a state where it is useful to someone needing to generate basic BRP/RQ stats.

I have a 'pre-alpha' version of an RQ/BRP character available for review:

(this is a dynamic address pointing at a laptop sitting behind my cablemodem; I make no guarantees that it will be up and available, but I'll try and keep it running as time permits)

The utility does require javascript to be enabled for some of its input forms, and it's not been tested in any browsers beyond Firefox and Safari. It is all kinds of crashy and buggy, so don't be alarmed if it yells at you - at this stage, that's expected behavior.

The good news: this is an open-source project - the code is freely available to pull down and tinker with, and that the application is fundamentally web based, so if you can get it running on a network-enabled server, all you need is a web browser to use it.

The bad news (for 95% of the intarweb): it's written in perl - my particular itchy/scratchy - with a lot of 'post-modern' perl libraries that require some work to install. I do my primary development under Mac OS X, so I can verify that you can run it under that environment - and I expect that if you're a reasonably savvy perl hacker, it should be relatively easy to set up under linux or any of the unix variants.

If you are AT ALL perl-literate, I urge you to take the source code and run with it - I'll try and keep pointers to my current versions here:

..with the eventual aim of releasing everything under CPAN.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a copy of the MAC program called CoCC 3.0. It was created by Simon Janich in 2004. You can create a CoC character with it (German and English), Ruleset 5.5 and earlier. Printing Character sheets does work as well.

Unfortunately since it is a binary you cannot change the skills in it, so it does not work well for BRP in that case.

I wil try to contact him, maybe there is a newer version somewhere or he is willing to provide the source code so I can adapt the software.

If there is interest, I can put it in the downloads section of BRP.com

--

cheers

pansophy

I am been searching for a MAC OS friendly BRP character generator and haven't had any luck ....

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

I believe that its this one: Chaosium BRP Character Generator 4.10

Ah the old Best of the dragon Vol 2 Anti-Paladin trey cool!

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 4 years later...

Hey everyone,

I'm studying game development and I'm going to start a Research Project next week.

I'm thinking of designing (and if I've got enough time also implementing) a program including all the important things a GM needs for his campaigns, based on the BRP system as my bachelor thesis.

I haven't tried out the programs mentioned above, nor any other RPG Tools yet, but I will. And if none of those measure up to my expectations, I'll probably create one. BUT if I want to do so as my thesis, I would need your help.
I can't do a proper research without making enquiries (polls, interview, etc.), and for that I need enough people willing to help. I've also contacted the chaosium people, but unfortunately didn't get any answer...

So is there any interest on your side?

If so, I would start some enquiries next week to figure out what the requirements for the program would be and then compare them with the programs existing as a first step.

Best regards,

Raven

• Like 2

I've managed to get a character sheet online that is fillable. Not sure how it looks when printed out, and am still working on it, but here's what I've got so far.

http://www.johnprime.com/wizard_quest/brp/brp_fantasy_cs.php

If you fill out the form, then push the submit button, it will go through and display your entries as text. I need to do some more coding on the page to change any of the fields which have not been filled out to transparent after you have submitted the form, but haven't gotten to that yet. Also, I need to do some test prints to see how it looks when printed.

• Like 1

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Hey Ever Elusive,

it's done pretty well :) and really cool for it is in php!

Here a few things:

- the background is too small and especially too dark compared to the text.

Maybe rather take one of these (on a high resolution):

https://www.google.de/search?q=country+western+backgrounds&tbm=isch&tbs=simg:CAQShgEagwELEKjU2AQaAAwLELCMpwgaXgpcCAMSJtoHDuQC2wffB9kHAuMC0QGKBtco1ijaIYgn5SedN-snxiGVJ94pGjA4ygzT5LY2-TxbIxVasCvpdxQyCH_17ptTqnPiRL5jF2iKc5oDvAFPt6YJz0VKfTaEMCxCOrv4IGgoKCAgBEgSl0M5cDA&sa=X&ei=6wEsVb-NI5PxauDJgbgO&ved=0CB0Qwg4oAA&biw=1366&bih=639

- I'd suggest to use multiple boxes within boxes, or columns to be specific.

Right now you get the text attached right after the filled in text when submitted, which kind of destroys your layout and makes it less readable.

e.g. "Race:                      Gender:                   Age:                " goes to

"Race: Human Gender: m Age: 23" instead of keeping the distance between Race , Gender and Age.

- the Damage Bonus has a % too, which isn't needed ;)

Greetings

Raven

@Raven, thanks for the feedback. I thought the background might be too dark, but figured I'd get it out there and let people give me feedback. Plus I haven't really looked at it when it was completely filled out so I wasn't sure how well it would fit.

I'll let everyone know once I've got another update done.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

I've made a Magic World character generator using NBOS and posted here:

Wouldn't be too hard to convert it to BRP. Just change some of the skill names, ect...

Also, Lonewolf has HeroLab which does CoC and some BRP. I've been trying to get them to release a full BRP datapack for awhile now. A few more people there pushing for it couldn't hurt! ;)

http://www.wolflair.com/index.php?context=hero_lab

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

• 2 months later...

Hey Nick,

while looking for different existing tools for my bachelor-thesis, I found this one:

http://www.crystalballsoft.com/crystalball.html

It's for Mac and sounds very pleasing, but unfortunately I can't take a real look at it, for I don't have access to a Mac.

If you're giving it a try (one month free testing), could you give me some feedback on the functionality and maybe some screenshots?

Would be very helpful :)

Greetings,

Raven

Hey Nick,

while looking for different existing tools for my bachelor-thesis, I found this one:

http://www.crystalballsoft.com/crystalball.html

That's for d20 games ... I would not be surprised if it is unsuited for BRP as the rules and concepts differ too much. Probably not worth customizing it.