Jump to content

Mugen

Regulars
  • Content Count

    875
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    2

Everything posted by Mugen

  1. It's possible to use the solution given above to consider 00 is 0, and not 100, and put fumbles on 98 and 99. It miraculously adds 1% chance of success to all checks, but I personally think it's no big deal.
  2. I like using the tens of the chances of success for crits, and half skill for specials. Very easy to figure, Doubles don't scale with skills over 100, that's why I don't like using this method.
  3. My guess is their position remains the same as the one they expressed in the faq quoted earlier in this thread.
  4. As I said, there's a high number of ties in the Skill Opposition rules. As an example, say both characters have a Spririt Combat skill of 60%, which means : -3% of a Critical on both sides, -9% of a Special, -48% chance of a normal success., That means a ~24% chance that both characters will take damage in an exchange (with 60% chance only one does and 16% chance none take damage).
  5. It's hard to say if that was the intent, or if the second sentence is just an example of a tie... However, given how frequent ties are in the skill opposition rule of RQG, your interpretation is IMHO better than the other.
  6. HeroWars has the answers you seek: -Armor works like you want in this game. You apply an Edge or a Handicap equal to the difference between (attacker's) weapon and (defender's) armor ratings to the AP bid. -Edge/Handicap are added to the bid before multiplication/division.
  7. We also know Edge will publish french version, thanks to a video interview of one of Edge's representatives. Not a big surprise, since they already publish CoC and RuneQuest...
  8. This ? https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/99583/Arcania-of-Legend-Blood-Magic?cPath=161&language=en
  9. However, it is true that it requires a LOT less skills than in Wizardry or RQ3/G Sorcery, and a good example.
  10. That's only really true for animism. Other magic systems require a separate skill for each god or magic tradition. If your magic tradition doesn't learn Fly, you'll have to find oje that does, and learn their Invoke skill (though tye Shaping skill will stay the same).
  11. But if you speak of "maille" and not "cotte de maille" to a French, it's most likely they'll think you mean a sweatshirt, or money (Maille was the name of a medieval gold coin, but is a now a slang for money).
  12. Maybe one Cast skill per magic type For instance : Cast (Elemental magic), Cast (Mind magic), Cast (Life Magic), Cast (Metamagic), and so on. This would force magicians to specialize a bit.
  13. To bo honest, the same could be said for almost any skill, not only spells. Why does a character that has a long fighting experience suddenly returns to square one when he has a new weapon in hands ? Of course, no-one expects that he performs as well as with a weapon he's used for years either... My solution would be to have one broad base success chance per skill category, which increases with experience, and treat each skill as a bonus to this base chance.
  14. Okay, so your definition of "Morale" may not be the same as mine, but it seems to me mine is the same as the OP : It's perfectly fine to determine how a character will discontinue the fight with a "self control" roll (which might even result in a burst of rage for some fanatics), but it seems to me it's a consequence of Morale loss, not Morale loss itself.
  15. Well, morale in wargames, and role-playing games influenced by these, exactly means that : the chance your unit will continue fighting, with no regards to the reason why they don't.
  16. Mythras has a skill for this, Perseverance. It's the one that replaces POW when resisting mind-affecting magic, for instance. However, using a skill to model morale is not necessarily a good thing. Sure, experience will learn you how to keep calm in dangerous situations, but it's not all that matters when speaking of morale. Motivation is key. A young and inexperienced soldier who thinks he's good because he has excellent gear, or a fanatic, won't flee because one of their comrades has fallen. A peasant who must protect his children will risk his life to do so. On the other hand, a s
  17. My own take on the subject would be to use something akin to MouseGuard/HeroQuest/Revolution d100/L5R 5th edition, with "Hit Points" that represent one's overall situation in combat, and not only physical integrity. In a melee, reaching 0 Points would not mean death or inconsciousness, but rather a situation where any move you take is very dangerous for you. It would be possible to base Morale rules on those "modified Hit Points", with characters that have lost half or all their HP being more likely to flee or surrender.
  18. There's already an introductory kit available here: https://d100.fr/actualites/
  19. I honestly wonder what is the incentive to play this version of the game over Mage:the Awakening, which is also a game focusing on occult mysteries, and not the metaphysical game that is Ascension. Except, obviously, if you dislike the WoD/CoD rules, which is a perfectly fine reason to play another game. Ar-Kaïm were not well-received in France, where they were seen as an unnecessary excuse to play "manga/anime" (Saint Seiya/Knights of the Zodiac, essentially) characters in a setting that originally focused on occult inquiries over violence and fights. I think they were intro
  20. Page 4 of the preview starts with the same text repeated twice:
  21. Note I meant weapon and armor factors as fixed values, and not another die to add or subtract. Same for damage bonus.
  22. In the Masks campaign I mentioned above, I also had a huge number of PCs deaths. But, to be honest, I think I was nice to them, as they were always too brash and jumped into every occasion they found to die or otherwise have their character disappear in space and time. On the other hand, one of my players was careful enough to lose only 1 character.
  23. Sure, but random armor already turns damage as a whole into pseudo-curve bells (trapezoidal distributions, in fact). In BRP, most 1 handed weapons tend to have damage expressed as a single die : 1d4+2 for daggers, 1d8+1 for broadswords, 1d6+1 for shortswords, and so on. When hitting someone in a platemail with a broadsword, you do 1d8-1d10+2 damage, which is not linear. Damage bonus also helps in "delinearizing" damage. I'm not sure rolling that many dice is necessary, honestly, and I think reducing the amplitude of random protection could be sufficient. Edit: a solution could be to
  24. Funny. French edition of RQG is done by Deadcrows studio.
  25. When I ran the Masks of Nyarlathotep, I decided investigators were all members of an "explorators club". One of my players even decided to use the Dalton brothers (those from the Lucky Luke belgian comic book, not the historical ones) basis for his characters. However, it was only really introduced in the first session of the campaign, and when I remembered them months after that they could introduce characters through that club, they vehemently said that club had never been mentioned...
×
×
  • Create New...