Pendragon - suggested viewing

Also this summer, the first Kaamelott movie will finally be released. It's based on a french comedy series which relies heavily on language and the actors' performance, so I doubt it translates well in English. 

Nevertheless, what was initially a light-hearted series of short films loosely based on arthurian legends eventually turned to be a more profound and personal work, as Arthur, unable to find the Grail or give an heir to the throne, slowly fell into depression. Launcelot is also a very interesting figure. Originally the right hand of Arthur, he eventually left the court because he disagreed with what he considered laxism from Arthur's part. He met a strange hooded man (Meleagant) who influenced him and turned him into Arthur's worst enemy.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2019 at 12:18 AM, Percarde said:

The 50s Ivanhoe and the 82 Ivanhoe (what a cast) are my favorites.  The BBC miniseries wasn't as good in my opinion.  

Don't forget The Knights of the Round Table.  An excellent movie.

Then there is Knightriders.  

I also like Arn: the Knight Templar.

I loved Knights of the Round Table!

There's also BBC Merlin

Merlin mini series

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 9:12 AM, Mugen said:

Also this summer, the first Kaamelott movie will finally be released. It's based on a french comedy series which relies heavily on language and the actors' performance, so I doubt it translates well in English. 

C'est pas faux. It's strangely faithful to the sources, in its own way. There is even a weird reference to the Skavens (because why not). A must see if you can speak french.

On 3/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, Tizun Thane said:

C'est pas faux. It's strangely faithful to the sources, in its own way. There is even a weird reference to the Skavens (because why not). A must see if you can speak french.

Yup, Alexandre Astier, the creator, was an avid RPGer in his youth

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2020 at 5:30 AM, BioKeith said:

Anyone heard of “The Letter for the King”? Some kind of new Netflix series.

Yes. It's based on a Dutch Children's\Young Adults book from the 1960's called "De Brief voor de Koning". The book, and it's sequel, Geheimen van het Wilde Woud (Secrets of the Wild Woods) take place in a medieval world that has many fantasy elements, although no magic, nor fantasy creatures. Was voted Best Childrens Book of all time in 2004. In the book, the major character is holding his vigil, with several other squires, on the night before his knighting in a chapel in the woods, when someone knocks on the door, and asks to be let in. He goes and answers the door, and then gets in a lot of adventures. I based one of my KAP convention scenarios on this scene in the book.

There is also a Dutch film, which is rather faithful to the book.

From what i've heard and seen, the Netflix series is rather more jumbled. The premise is more or less the same, but then, as this is medieval fantasy: BAM MAGIC! Apparently there are prophesies and shamans and such. None of that was in the original book. But, as this is a Netflix series, the visual are stunning, and the first episode seems to be a rather faithful rendition of a squires training to become a knight. And if you have no problem with people of colour playing medieval knights, then this seems to merit at least a glance.

I do not know who I am, but I do know where i'm going!