First Post and 2 Questions

Brian C

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to say hi and that I am a new forum member, first post.  Many many years ago I was introduced to RQ2 and instantly fell in love with it and have been hooked ever since.  Well almost, RQ3 came out and I have not played again since.  It just lost the joy so to speak.   But I’m back and now in my 50’s and have a strong urge thanks to the internet to try to relive some of that fun.   I was hoping I could ask a couple of probably basic questions?  I did research them and found nothing helpful at this point.

1    Basic weapon stats. I created my first character after a very long time and worked out that my main weapon, broadsword has an attack of 85% and I have a shield parry of 90%.  I am not sure but I think I did something wrong.  I don’t remember starting stats being near Rune Lord levels.

Here is what I did:
I started off at the base % of 10%
Added in the category bonus which I read elsewhere is your manipulation bonus (10%)
Next I added  the Sartar cultural bonus of 15%
Next – occupations – all unit weapons incl shield – 25%
And finally step 7 Personal Skill Bonuses – add 25% to 4 skills on the character sheet
    It looks to me that Melee weapon skill is a skill so I added it. (25%) as one of those values
This brings the total to 85%

Did I in fact do this correctly?

2    I have been for the last week scouring the web, forums etc looking for online Runequest groups but am unable to find any.  Well I did find some but they are like 4 year old LFG threads.  All there seems to be are D&D groups out there.  Does anyone know of a good resource to find online groups will to take on a new old player : )

I hope I put my thoughts together well enough.  I’ll just be upfront and say I am suffering from PTSD from past military service and my memory etc has been hugely affected.  So if I posted this in the wrong area please let me know.  I was hoping to use online Runequest as a form of therapy to help on the road to recovery.  It is getting easier but it is taking time .   I just want to meet new friends and have a good time, life is too short.

Thanks for listening to my rambling and it feels good to be back

Brian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Brian C said:

1    Basic weapon stats. I created my first character after a very long time and worked out that my main weapon, broadsword has an attack of 85% and I have a shield parry of 90%.  I am not sure but I think I did something wrong.  I don’t remember starting stats being near Rune Lord levels.

Nothing wrong, the powers that be wanted powerful beings for the hero wars,. In the Egregious Munchkinerry Forum there is talk of obtaining Rune Lord status in chargen. 

55 minutes ago, Brian C said:

2    I have been for the last week scouring the web, forums etc looking for online Runequest groups but am unable to find any.  Well I did find some but they are like 4 year old LFG threads.  All there seems to be are D&D groups out there.  Does anyone know of a good resource to find online groups will to take on a new old player : )

Alas, I don't...

3       Welcome aboard!

quoth Bill the Barbarian

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Hello, and welcome!  Thank you for your service.

This is a great place to post queries like yours, no worries on that point!

As to your questions:

#1-

You appear to have done it correctly, AND you also recall correctly that RQ2 (and even RQ3) characters tended to begin at lower power-levels:  Chaosium has advanced the default starting date & abandoned the "zero to hero" model.  The Lunar occupation of Sartar & Prax is broken... the Dragonrise is fresh in everyone's mind... Gods have died in living memory... the Hero Wars have begun!

If you prefer, I think there are optional rules (in a section of boxed text) for lower-level play.

#2-

I think there may be some activity on VTT sites like Roll20 or FantasyGrounds, but I don't know for sure.

You could try RPG.net's Role-play-by-post and/or "Ye Old Tavern" subforae... looks like a new RQG game has just launched, dunno if they will still consider new players.  They also have a Pinned/Stickied thread with links to various find-a-group tools!

I see occasional announcements of new campaigns launching right here on BRPCentral.

Best of luck!

Also... Look into the computer game "King of Dragon Pass."

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, Ladygolem said:

Remember that Rune Lords need multiple skills at such a high level (not to mention multiple other requirements), so it's not like you can become one straight out the gate.

I believe you can, it's just really hard and takes some luck with background rolls.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

I'm not so convinced that the higher skill levels represent a power-up. It's just a redefinition of what the numbers mean. I've always thought that beginning characters are under-powered in a lot of games, with less than evens chance of achieving anything that they try. Elric! was at the fore of reversing this trend in BRP, where 100% as a starting character represents competence rather than excellence.

Personally I think it's a shame that more professions have a toughter time getting high occupational skills, it's hard to start at 100% as a herder for instance. I guess an average herder having Herd 75% is ok.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind replies everyone.  I am glad I read it right. It seems like a convoluted procedure. LOL I actually had to do a step by step spreadsheet to keep everything straight and make sure I didn't miss anything.  

It just seemed so odd have a character with such high skill in 2 weapons but then the other skills really low in comparison.  Thought I better ask just in case.  I will go ahead now and read and practice the combat rules.  Then probably work on the magic system next.

With time passing by seasons it will make the characters age faster so it kind of makes sense to have them have higher skills.  They are hero material as the book says.  Although a lot of the skills are still really low.  I do like though how RQ allows you to roll to increase each skill used after a long session.  

I've signed up to Roll20 but haven't made a posting.  But in my profile I put what I was looking for and am hoping someone will do a search and maybe send me a pm if interested.  Its kind of hard for me right now to put myself out there. Heck this post took me a few days to get the courage to post.  ANd thanks for the suggestions of where to look. I signed up for Fantasy grounds as well.

I have to admit I would have thought that this site / forum would have been absolutely filled with a lot more RQ threads, games, LFG etc.  There has to be many of us out there, we just need to find one place that is not D&D centric : )

Speaking of professions I wish they would have given more occupation bonuses to increase the other skills.  Not to 90% but even adding a bunch like they do in Mythras would be nice.  More rounded skillset.  But before making a judgement I will need to get into an actual game and see how it works out.  I do love the depth of the backgrounds etc and the lore.  It lays a great foundation to roleplay the hell out of anything.

So thanks again.  I'll keep searching and keep my eyes open and I am sure something will turn up.

Brian

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Personally I think it's a shame that more professions have a toughter time getting high occupational skills, it's hard to start at 100% as a herder for instance. I guess an average herder having Herd 75% is ok.

Interestingly, 88% is what you need to actually, on average, earn the expected value from your occupational profession. This is probably higher than quite makes sense.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 7:38 AM, g33k said:

#2-

I think there may be some activity on VTT sites like Roll20 or FantasyGrounds, but I don't know for sure.

I'm currently playing in 2 RQ: Glorantha campaigns on Roll20. Unfortunately they're both full at the moment, but you never know!

• Thanks 2

On 8/2/2019 at 4:25 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I'm not so convinced that the higher skill levels represent a power-up. It's just a redefinition of what the numbers mean. I've always thought that beginning characters are under-powered in a lot of games, with less than evens chance of achieving anything that they try. Elric! was at the fore of reversing this trend in BRP, where 100% as a starting character represents competence rather than excellence.

Agree.

Skill values in 80s roleplaying games using percentiles were in fact very low. See StormBringer or Warhammer characters for instance. Call of Cthulhu and Pendragon allowed for better skill values, but was a knight with 17 in his sword skill invincible ? Not quite.

All too often, designers of roll-under systems tend to think that the highest value on the die used in the system has to be a limit to skills. But having 100% or 20/20 only means you have maximum chance of success versus "average" difficulty tasks, something all real-world experts have.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mugen said:

All too often, designers of roll-under systems tend to think that the highest value on the die used in the system has to be a limit to skills. But having 100% or 20/20 only means you have maximum chance of success versus "average" difficulty tasks, something all real-world experts have.

That is generally true...

But in the case of combat skill, 100% vs 100% is quite uninteresting....
How do you handle that?
I am genuinely curious, you might help me make my game much better! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

How do you handle that?

One answer: Out think your adversaries, have better tactics. Else, combat is boring, even at other values.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Szwagier said:

I'm currently playing in 2 RQ: Glorantha campaigns on Roll20. Unfortunately they're both full at the moment, but you never know!

Hey Szwagier, send me a pm maybe if an opening turns up.  I would be up for some older RQ.  Its been 2 weeks and I am still struggling to find anything online.  Sadly I am about to join a D&D campaign just to get back into roleplaying.  Its an older group of guys and I think its version 5e.  LOL I just want to play again : ) Being 55 you only have so much time left LOL 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian C said:

Hey Szwagier, send me a pm maybe if an opening turns up.  I would be up for some older RQ.  Its been 2 weeks and I am still struggling to find anything online.  Sadly I am about to join a D&D campaign just to get back into roleplaying.  Its an older group of guys and I think its version 5e.  LOL I just want to play again : ) Being 55 you only have so much time left LOL 

5e is a very different game from what you played in your teens/20s.  Give it a shot, you may like it!  Obviously, the GM and the group are going to make a HUGE difference...

Essentials of the game can be d/l'ed free from WOTC website, and there are inexpensive "starter kit" products if you like.

Character-optimization strategies and "ideal builds" seem to be less important to most 5e groups than to the 3.x/Pathfinder branch of D&D, but some groups still emphasize that; the Internet will help you find such optimizations if it seems to be how that group rolls.  Maybe ask the GM how the group feels about such things?  Some groups in turn abhor the practice, so IMHO it's worth a check-in...

Lots more D&D-specific advice obviously available on other sites that aren't BRP Centric!  😁  But we help as we can...

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well the guy looking for players made a really good point.  He said the reason he is looking for 5E players is that there are many many more players playing that system so the chances of getting a game are easier.  And its not just about the game its also about the group and the experience.  That struck me as pretty important.  So I thought why not give it a try.  Make some online friends and have a good time hopefully.  

I am still looking for a RQG game to get into and my first love is and probably always will continue to be RuneQuest.  I love Glorantha as well.  I just need to realize and be open to the fact that games may be few and far in between.  I've been watching a lot of Dungeon Run repeats and it does look like it could be fun.  And being a player I don't need to know all the rules to start.  But knowing me I will research the hell out of it.  

I just want to thank you guys on here for being so helpful so far.  I feel fine asking anything.  Hopefully some day I can return the favour to a new player.  

I'll definitely keep posting G33k,

Have yourself a great weekend

Brian

12 minutes ago, Brian C said:

I am still looking for a RQG game to get into and my first love is and probably always will continue to be RuneQuest.  I love Glorantha as well.  I just need to realize and be open to the fact that games may be few and far in between.

It also depends on whether you are looking for a true online game (with direct personal interaction) or a Play-by-Post (PbP) game (where the interactions are much more sporadic, but games can continue over an extended time).  They are very different in style, and very different in interaction/experience, but some of us like myself do GM the latter.

22 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

How do you handle that?

There are many ways to deal with this situation.

You can introduce special and critical successes, and consider a special or critical success can only be parried'or dodged by a similar or better success.

You can use Mythras and Pendragon style skill opposition rules : if both opponent have the same level of success, the one with the highest roll wins. To avoid combat to be too deadly, you can reduce damage by an amount depending on the weapon used for parry (4 to 6 points). That's my favorite option.

French game Rêve de Dragon has a rule that you could add to a BRP game without changing any other rule : an attacker has the option to reduce his attack skill to reduce his opponent's skill by the same amount.

I also tend to consider that if both opponents rolled a failure, the one with the highest roll wins. That rule is to speed up the scenario where both characters have low combat skill...

Perhaps a good Glorantha adaptation to D&D 5e would be beneficial for Chaosium, financially speaking, and allow players interested in playing in Glorantha to find online games more easily.

13th Age Glorantha is a D&D-related game (and a far better game than 5e, IMO), but is not exactly as popular as D&D, and incompatible with 5e, unfortunately...

55 minutes ago, Mugen said:

13th Age Glorantha is a D&D-related game (and a far better game than 5e, IMO), but is not exactly as popular as D&D, and incompatible with 5e, unfortunately...

I think that something like Classic Fantasy could handle 5e and 13th Age conversions quite easily, as it is not really either. 

However, most players of 5e, 13th Age, Pathfinder and similar games have little interest in playing those games in a D100 environment.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 minutes ago, soltakss said:

However, most players of 5e, 13th Age, Pathfinder and similar games have little interest in playing those games in a D100 environment.

I think Mugen means the other way around--making a "5E Glorantha" like we've got "13th Age Glorantha." Taking Glorantha out into the 5E world, rather than bringing 5E players into D100.

• Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

On 8/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, Brian C said:

Sure, I can do that. It's not up to me, of course, but to the GM. But I'll see what I can do.

Out of three on-line play by board-post games I've been in, one came from private messaging someone on these forums, and the other two came from out of character discussions in the first one. I just had a look on RoleplayOnLine and there are no Runquest games seeking players (any flavour of RQ). That surprised me somewhat.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Byll said:

Actually stretching back a bit there's this - if you're OK with pre-gens and the space(s) are still free, it,s still marked wanting player(s)

I would DEFINITELY go ask!  They were announcing available pre-gens as recently as 19 July!  And earlier in the thread, I see where the GM seems to outline the House-Rules for building your own, if no pre-gen suits.

Nice find, @Byll !

Edited by g33k
Formatting

C'es ne pas un .sig