Interest in Repository of Cult Stories & Myths

Cgeist7

Interest in Repository of Cult Stories & Myths  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would folks be interested in having a player-entered repository of stories & myths under cults in Cradleofheroes.net?

• Yes
    • No
    • Something else (post below)

Hi folks,

I have pretty much finished the character section for Cradle of Heroes.

I am now thinking about trying to make the Cults and homeland's more useful to people.

My top idea is to create a user-entered repository of stories and myths for each cult.

This would allow anyone to add their story and have it available listed under related cults.

This is just a quick signal check to see if there's any interest in this in the community, or if this is just one of the issues that I seem to have. 🙂

• Like 1

I voted "no" mostly because:

1) The (excellent) Cradle Of Heroes website is about creating and managing PCs and NPCs. I wouldn't want to muddy that up with other unrelated stuff, so if anything, such a repository should appear somewhere else.

2) I believe Chaosium is still working on the RQ equivalent to the Miskatonic Repository? In that case I imagine that people writing Gloranthan material will publish it there to reach the community?

Edited by lordabdul
  • Like 3

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

My only 'concern' might be how canonical they would be... As in - not.

Granted, these are stories and myths, so may not matter.

It would be good if Chaosiun would look over them from time to time to give a seal (or sealion, or similar) of approval. Perhaps a formal publication??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

My only 'concern' might be how canonical they would be... As in - not.

Granted, these are stories and myths, so may not matter.

It would be good if Chaosiun would look over them from time to time to give a seal (or sealion, or similar) of approval. Perhaps a formal publication??

There are quite a few "canonical" myths spread across all the "canonical" sources.

I think every campaign should add myths specific to their own interests, but I don't especially want Chaosium to come sprinkle any of them with Canonicity Dust.

As you say... for "stories and myths" the status of canon doesn't matter (at least, not NEARLY as much as how they fit at the table in question).

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, lordabdul said:

I believe Chaosium is still working on the RQ equivalent to the Miskatonic Repository? In that case I imagine that people writing Gloranthan material will publish it there to reach the community?

I think I saw it referred to as the "Jonstown Compendium" in passing on a post. I can't source that.

Nonetheless, I would anticipate that to be more scenarios, adventures, rules-based stuff, moreso than fan-writings on Glorantha setting-less. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but judging from the parallels of DM's Guild and Miskatonic Repository the focus is probably meant to be game content, not Glorantha content. Ultimately it'll depend on what their guidelines are.

• Like 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

59 minutes ago, g33k said:

There are quite a few "canonical" myths spread across all the "canonical" sources.

I think every campaign should add myths specific to their own interests, but I don't especially want Chaosium to come sprinkle any of them with Canonicity Dust.

As you say... for "stories and myths" the status of canon doesn't matter (at least, not NEARLY as much as how they fit at the table in question).

I'm just thinking of a situation in which a fan might write a myth in which, say, Elmal keeps his fire powers and gets Sunspear... Just because... 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Crel said:

I think I saw it referred to as the "Jonstown Compendium" in passing on a post.

Ah right yeah, I've seen that too.

57 minutes ago, Crel said:

Nonetheless, I would anticipate that to be more scenarios, adventures, rules-based stuff, moreso than fan-writings on Glorantha setting-less.

On the contrary, I imagine there will be a non negligible part that extends parts of Glorantha -- new Sartarite tribes, previously un/under-developed parts of Dragon Pass or farther, new sub-cults, details on ducks or trolls or whatever, etc. Basically, all the stuff we see here on the forums.

• Like 1

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

Some of you might not know of Oliver Bernuetz's Mything links work:

https://oliverbernuetz.neocities.org/mything/mything.html

http://www.oocities.org/bernuetz/mything/mything.html

https://oliverbernuetz.neocities.org/mything/Mything links.pdf

I'm not sure where it's hosted now, but this might inspire some of you.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Some of you might not know of Oliver Bernuetz's Mything links work:

https://oliverbernuetz.neocities.org/mything/mything.html

This is the correct current location.

Particularly see the titles list: https://oliverbernuetz.neocities.org/mything/mything-titles.htm 

There are just shy 900 Gloranthan myths and stories noted. For the most part it does not include myths that originally were published in the various 1990s fanzines such as TotRM, Enclosure, Codex, or New Lolon Gospel.

The two challenges with publishing outside of this domain are:

• maintenance of the website - e.g. without Oliver's work on the above, most of the old myths posted to the Glorantha Digest would likely have been lost
  • remembering it exists
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

This is the correct current location.

Particularly see the titles list: https://oliverbernuetz.neocities.org/mything/mything-titles.htm 

There are just shy 900 Gloranthan myths and stories noted. For the most part it does not include myths that originally were published in the various 1990s fanzines such as TotRM, Enclosure, Codex, or New Lolon Gospel.

The two challenges with publishing outside of this domain are:

• maintenance of the website - e.g. without Oliver's work on the above, most of the old myths posted to the Glorantha Digest would likely have been lost
  • remembering it exists

That's an amazing resource. Thanks so much for sharing.

Adding stories like this to the Cradle of Heroes and organizing by related cults would be fairly simple. 

The main "No" comments I've seen have been around Chaosium doing something like this themselves. If that's the case, I'd be happy to leave this to the side and support an official project. Anyone know who would be "in the know"? @Jeff?

51 minutes ago, Cgeist7 said:

That's an amazing resource. Thanks so much for sharing.

Adding stories like this to the Cradle of Heroes and organizing by related cults would be fairly simple. 

The main "No" comments I've seen have been around Chaosium doing something like this themselves. If that's the case, I'd be happy to leave this to the side and support an official project. Anyone know who would be "in the know"? @Jeff?

That _IS_ an amazing resource.  I had completely lost track of it... forgotten it even existed.  TYVM!

I think that the "Jonstown Compendium"  project is "forthcoming" and we all just need to wait on whenever Chaosium rolls it out.

You know what I think could enhance that list of myths?  Some sort of "tags" or "labels" system, categorizing them by POV (this is a Storm-Tribe myth; that one is Solar; etc), by subject (courtship, battle/war, gaining/losing magic), etc etc etc...  Plus a list of named characters important to the myth... and maybe other elements... And finally:  a lookup system, so somebody can go find myths relevant to the need at their table, for specific Adventures/Arcs/Characters/Campaigns/etc...

Edited by g33k
F'ing autocorrect
  • Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

15 hours ago, Cgeist7 said:

Much like Pendragon Resource Site (http://greathall.chaosium.com), there will be a Gloranthan and Call of Cthulhu one. The idea behind these is to act as a centralised repository for all things related and be maintained by volunteers The sites don't always need to have the info themselves but should have a links page, pointing to resources like this. In the case of info that is in danger of disappearing (like the Noctural forums and Pendragon Wiki) they will be integrated into the site. The Gloranthan resource site has major problems as it's based on a clone of Glorantha.com which in turn has damage that's causing its domain resolution not to work properly. The site is too big to easily copy the contents and will have to be transferred piecemeal. For the Glorantha site this is a major piece of work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2