Alchemy : 1 skill for all

Manu

As there is no alchemy rules yet, I'd like to have your input

There is 2 ways of seeing it :

• 1 skill can do all the possible potions/balms/...
  • 1 skill for each type of potion/balm

A third option would be 1 skill, but each type of potion should be learned separately (cost and time)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Manu said:

As there is no alchemy rules yet, I'd like to have your input

There is 2 ways of seeing it :

• 1 skill can do all the possible potions/balms/...
  • 1 skill for each type of potion/balm

A third option would be 1 skill, but each type of potion should be learned separately (cost and time)

I would opt for one skill, but numerous recipes. Without the recipe, you can't make the potion in question. The recipes are a magical ability similar to spirit magic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

I would opt for one skill, but numerous recipes. Without the recipe, you can't make the potion in question. The recipes are a magical ability similar to spirit magic.

Agree. Multiple skills would be weird and really costly. The only reason you would do that is if you would vastly expand the reach of Alchemy, and in that case, it's probably better to just make it a certain kind of Sorcery.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

How would Plant Lore, Mineral Lore etc affects alchemy? 

A single Augment roll doesn't quite seem right...

I'd apply them to the use of material. The rules as presented allow you to buy ready-made alchemy kits from some organisation, but these lores would either allow you to prepare your material yourself, or to husband the resources for better efficiency/more applications. Speaking as a chemist, recovery rates in a preparatory process are a big deal when aiming for the best possible use of your material. The rest is expensive and annoying gunk.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing this to other magic systems within RQ.

On one hand you have Spirit & Rune magic. One skill to use the ability but multiple items (spells) that need to be learned. The analogy would by you have 1 skill - Alchemy (45%) and you know multiple recipes - Blade venom, sleeping draught, fire oil, explosive bomb etc.

On another, you have sorcery where each spell has it own skill plus there are other skills to manipulate them. The analogy would be you have the following skills Blade venom (29%), Injested poison (52%), Sleeping draught (45%), Healing potion (61%), Fire oil (22%) plus Preservation (38%), Potency (44%) etc.

Personally I'd aim for inbetween. Group the products into categories. Poisons, Explosives, Healing, Industrial etc. Each with their own skill. And have individual recipies learned inside each category. Then add a few skills to manipulate them.