Rule version question

Lloyd Dupont

People playing BRP games mostly use v4. People playing Call use anything from 4 through 5.6 to 7. Although the base mechanisms are the same (using D100 dice) the actual rules are fairly different although mostly interchangeable.

Probably the wrong question to ask as BRP and CoC offer different options for playing different genres. Call tends to only be used to run horror scenarios whereas BRP is used to run a huge variety of genres from Bronze Age via Dark Ages, Medieval, Renaissance and Modern to Far Future space games.

• Like 1

Nigel

I have a fantasy campaign going on (currently Mythras but planning to switch to BRP) and I have a SciFi settings cooking.

When I told one of my player I was going to switch to BRP4e he asked me, why not CoC 7e? That's why I wonder...

But yeah, CoC doesn't have all the magic of BRP4e and one book with all setting's equipment...
Might just go with BRP 4e as originally intended.

However you got nme curious... what are all the subtle difference between BRP 4e, CoC4 and Coc 7e?
Any skill thathave been merged or simplified?
I am a taker for any improvement! :D

CoC doesn't have the various Characteristic mods like BRP and is more cut down and streamlined. There's a bigger number of skills in BRP compared to Call.

7e Coc is changed to simplify the combat in line with the stress on investigation rather than combat.

Nigel

It's worth noting that, while nclarke is correct that people play a wide variety of editions of CoC, all of the new material is being produced for 7E.

There honestly aren't that big of a differences between the different CoC versions.

7th edition converted characteristics to a 100 scale instead of 3-18. Its just multiplying characteristics times five.

7th edition established three main difficulty levels for everything. It used to be you roll under varying multiples of your skill values to succeed. This has reduced the mental math greatly and speeds up table play.

7th edition combined combat skills into two main skills and consolidated some other skills. In older iterations, combat skills were much more split apart

7th edition also added some modern-style mechanics that keep a table fun like advantage/disadvantage (called bonus/penalty dice) and the option to spend luck to affect rolls. Ask a grognard how mad they are that someone dared to do that.

7th edition has theatre-of-the mind, number-line controlled Chase rules that haven't existed in prior iterations. 

There may be a few other things, but those are the main ones. Some of the grognards want to act like 7th edition ruined "their" game, but it is, in the opinion of many, a far more streamlined and modernized system. It'll be fun to see who flies off the handle to challenge that statement. :)

Edited by klecser
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I have a fantasy campaign going on (currently Mythras but planning to switch to BRP) and I have a SciFi settings cooking.

You might find Magic World worth considering for fantasy, or at least looking at for some options. Despite the uninspiring name it's a solid and nicely streamlined version of the Chaosium system, (generally) quicker in play than the full standard BRP and with a number of useful tweaks to character generation. In many ways it's a simplification of RuneQuest for fantasy in the way that Call of Cthulhu is for horror.

There are a number of issues with it, to be sure. The final product includes a number of errors indicative of being published at a rather turbulent time for the company. As you can see from the Magic World forum these have been addressed, but working through the text to fit your particular requirements might be more hassle than is worthwhile. Even so, it's an admirable compromise between depth and complexity and a fine example of what the underlying system can do.

Edited by BigJackBrass
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 4:07 AM, Lloyd Dupont said:

When I told one of my player I was going to switch to BRP4e he asked me, why not CoC 7e? That's why I wonder...

But yeah, CoC doesn't have all the magic of BRP4e and one book with all setting's equipment...
Might just go with BRP 4e as originally intended.

However you got nme curious... what are all the subtle difference between BRP 4e, CoC4 and Coc 7e?
Any skill thathave been merged or simplified?
I am a taker for any improvement! :D

Some people use CoC rules for science fiction especially when it uses horror. Check out Cthulhu Rising or New Horizon (which is fan created).

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!