Lithic Weapons and Griffon Mountain

Videopete

16 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

the new Star Wars game - okay it's not really that new now, but whatever - has a textbox that just says you should remove the events of the movies and their characters and just find a different story for how the Emperor happened. At best, keep like Leia or whomever as a hero-ideal ("I heard the Princess was on board!") but not really interact with except maybe to glimpse or hear the voice of long enough to get urgent orders. Something about the protags sucking the fun out of the room.

They even give ideas for alternative Emperors, some of which I recall are deeply sinister takes.

I was deeply impressed with their Radicalist playstyle in what is literally an official game release: delete everything but the ideas, and maybe deeply poison the ideas.

This was WEG starwars, when jedis sucked until they didnt. Most of the time we didnt mean to kill the cannon characters its just when ever they showed up the GM would start rolling very very badly, and we would roll many exploding dice and 6s.

2 hours ago, Videopete said:

This was WEG starwars,

oh i figured

I really really like the new system. the whole special dice thing moves away from thinking about numbers, it makes it more ... space opera? i like the talent tree things, it's pretty fun, although I admit in some ways it's a little crunchy for me (I say, on a RuneQuest board).

plus it does force powers so well, like, you can have a force user and someone of the same experience will be able to kiss/marry/kill them (depending on what kind of scene you are running). the force talents replace one of your talent systems, so if you are a pilot you start leveling up force powers. you trade off some special piloting talents for force ones (and there's a million different kind of force users).

plus they updated it over time, there's a generic version of their system now, which is fun.

but about the Lithic Weapons

uh yeah, so Balazar

51 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

but about the Lithic Weapons

uh yeah, so Balazar

Luke used a rock to drop the gate onto the Rancor.

Lithic Weapon!

Just... relocate that scene into Balazar.

Done.

See?  On topic!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Re: blank lands and non-canonical campaigns:  I think that many people here have played Balazar and Pavis campaigns for years and have changed the places in meaningful ways, and Chaosium writing post 1621 material doesn't invalidate their campaigns, it just shows how things have went in a different timeline. Don't be afraid to change things. Follow the canon in your writings only if you are writing official gaming material for Chaosium.

Eg. my players brought more Sartarites from their own clan to live in Balazar, some npc Ernalda priestess Heroquested to make small-time farming possible there, one pc became a prophet for Firshala (and made a rule for all worshippers to bury a stone a day, so that the darn Griffins would have less ammunition around), and found the Giant controlling ring and kidnapped some giants from the Snake Pipe Hollow and with their help kicked the Lunars out of Elkoi.

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Okay, been busy IRL.  So had the missus roll up her character.  Now on the ignite spell, for Balazarans the spell only works as long as their sacred Hearth fire is intact, and only women can have it.  For lithic weapons, well limit them to the ones mentioned in Griffon Mountain, and weapons lose additional health equal to the AP of any armor  plus they lose 1 HP after each use (parry, attack or single task)  Considering the disposable nature of Stone Tools, this makes sense, and any Metal Tools and Weapons possessed extremely valuable.  Stone Weapons only cost a fifth of their metal type, but most Balazarans make their own any way. Dragon Newts don't have any of these issues.  

So why don't the Elder Races have these problems, because they have their own magic. 

New craft skill Stone Knapping base 10%. Allows construction of stone tools and Weapons.  

• Thanks 1