The Dreaming Skill

klecser

Has anyone considered NPCs/adversaries possessing the Dreaming skill and Investigators getting into a "Dreaming battle" with said adversaries?

Adversary produces a brick wall. Investigators Dream some means to get through or over it?

• Like 2

I suppose the dream skill is like the ability to conjure any spell you like on demand, and more.

They can dream they can fly or whatever?

or they might not come up with an idea and suck it up....

Be inspired by BRP and Classic Fantasy for spell price.

Hell, maybe they can even "dispel" the wall?
Though dream skill might produce "real"things instead of mere spells.

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1

I think it also needs to be "capped" according to the rules of "size and complexity" that has been defined in H.P. Lovercraft's Dreamlands. It isn't Genie wishes. So for me the challenge is figuring out how to make the cost balanced so that it's use is fun, but not so overpowered as to be "boring."

Excerpt from the book:

"Magic points must be spent in the use of the Dreaming skill. Especially large or complex objects may require several dream-sessions before enough magic points can be spent to form it. The Dreaming skill attempt is made after all desired magic points are assigned."

Hence you spent magic point first.

You sacrifice POW for permanent change of the dream world. Otherwise change last only until the dream wakes up. Which can be a long time in the dream world though. But it's up to you, if it's a spell like thing, like flying, maybe it only last for a little while.

The in-book rules are only one factor for me. I'm not a game canonist. I rely on the books for the assumption of play-testing and inspiration. I also don't want to make a decision that I end up regretting, regarding balance. This isn't Amber, where the Court members can conjure up anything that they want at-will. So, if I were to do it, I'd probably increase the Magic point cost so that in-combat Dreaming would be a  "daily." 

• Like 1

You were asking what it is, I told you the rule.

Now if you ask what I would like it to be, that's different! ;)

Personally I'd like BRP over Mythras for many minor reason and one major reason: the default magic system is more about fun than power!
Yes you can teleport and transform people, but it all cost a lot, and last a very short while.

So for Dream skill I will keep this philosophy., I.e. Expensive dream creation are of such price that only a few a day can be made. Although being of dream world, they are true and last (except for obviously "magical one" like flying or invisibility, which would be short)

But I would keep the dream part where the exact rule elude the player, with side effect or duration or something never quite expected. Nit negative mind you, just unexpected, if possible.

Also, about balance, it's dream world, you should really give some latitude to the player to do extraordinary thing!
If you are afraid that player are going to go through your challenge like it is nothing, just increase the number of protagonist and/or give them magic of their own. Number advantage is always tremendous!

Edited by Lloyd Dupont
  • Like 1