LFG Wailing Caverns

In a couple of weeks, World of Warcraft Classic is going to be released.

I didn't actually start playing in vanilla WoW myself (having started a few months after the release of The Burning Crusade expansion), but am looking forward to going back to the old paradigm and getting some serious adventurin' (and drinkin' and bandagin') done. Myself and a few mates will be rolling on the Hydraxian Waterlords realm (the EU PvE role-playing server); anyone that wants to join us is more than welcome.

I'm not sure how many people on these boards are into MMOs or video (computer! COMPUTER!) games in general, but the WoW Classic release is a fairly big event for some of us fogeys, so I thought I'd see if there were any other interested parties.

Gnomelovers are especially welcome.

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2019 at 2:07 PM, PhilHibbs said:

I'm on Hydraxian Waterlords, Horde-side. I was on Argent Dawn back in the day, still am technically.

Hi, Phil,

Sadly we only have gnomes (and accompanying lesser beings...) on Hydraxian Waterlords at the moment (<Gnome Sweet Gnome>). We do want to do some Hordies, but with the time commitments of Classic it might have to wait until we've levelled a bit, I fear.

Hope to see you on our travels, anyway – or will shout when we get around to levelling our Horde characters!

– Stew (also on Argent Dawn).

Sorry, we're a collection of various hordies on Pagle.  

Loving Classic btw.  Like coming home again.  I bailed after Cata, and have only been back for occasional 2-3 week spans when a new expansion comes out (and they give you all the previous content for free), so when WoD came out I tried Pandaland, etc.  Last retail was when BfA came out my son and I started 2 gnome monks - me tank/dps, him heal/dps - and we proceeded to level from 1-cap (120?) within a month of casual play INCLUDING 2-manning at-level (!) every. single. non-raid instance.  Which if you think about it means its STUPID easy.

Just tanked WC last night on a 22 (slightly overleveled for WC) and it was 3 hours that went by like a moment, and was vastly harder than any of that 1-month run of monks in retail.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2019 at 1:24 PM, PhilHibbs said:

And if you're a bunch of gnomes, shouldn't the thread title be "LFR Hogger"?

Ha!

On 9/27/2019 at 9:56 PM, styopa said:

Loving Classic btw.  Like coming home again.  I bailed after Cata, and have only been back for occasional 2-3 week spans when a new expansion comes out (and they give you all the previous content for free), so when WoD came out I tried Pandaland, etc.  Last retail was when BfA came out my son and I started 2 gnome monks - me tank/dps, him heal/dps - and we proceeded to level from 1-cap (120?) within a month of casual play INCLUDING 2-manning at-level (!) every. single. non-raid instance.  Which if you think about it means its STUPID easy.

Just tanked WC last night on a 22 (slightly overleveled for WC) and it was 3 hours that went by like a moment, and was vastly harder than any of that 1-month run of monks in retail.

We've had great fun with Classic! I still very much enjoy Retail, but find I go through patches – particularly after playing for a dozen years plus. The time and memories invested in my main characters tend to draw me back, though (and not just in terms of sunk cost). (The bumblebee mount might help, too...) Even the kindest critic will say BfA has 'issues', but I've still quite enjoyed it, overall (if not to the level of Legion, Mists, Wrath and TBC).

Still not made the journey to Wailing Caverns yet, sadly, and I fear we're a bit overlevelled now. Had good Goonies fun in the Deadmines, though! I am looking forward to doing massive Blackrock Depths runs when the time comes. That for me is the ultimate dungeoneering experience...

On 9/30/2019 at 4:19 AM, Quackatoa said:

Ha!

We've had great fun with Classic! I still very much enjoy Retail, but find I go through patches – particularly after playing for a dozen years plus. The time and memories invested in my main characters tend to draw me back, though (and not just in terms of sunk cost). (The bumblebee mount might help, too...) Even the kindest critic will say BfA has 'issues', but I've still quite enjoyed it, overall (if not to the level of Legion, Mists, Wrath and TBC).

Still not made the journey to Wailing Caverns yet, sadly, and I fear we're a bit overlevelled now. Had good Goonies fun in the Deadmines, though! I am looking forward to doing massive Blackrock Depths runs when the time comes. That for me is the ultimate dungeoneering experience...

Yeah, BRD is amazing.  A testament of what Vanilla was about. 

Good thread if you can tolerate reddit: 

On 9/27/2019 at 4:56 PM, styopa said:

I bailed after Cata, and have only been back for occasional 2-3 week spans when a new expansion comes out

This sounds similar to me. I started playing about a month or two before TBC dropped. I still didn't know what I was doing when it did come around, but by the time TBC was closing I had raid-tanked everything there was. I even have the achievements for the vanilla raids (of course, I cheated and did them at level 70 instead of 60). I really loved Wrath to begin with, but guild drama started getting the better of me (still love the content though) and quit playing. I came back for maybe month-long stints during Cata and then Legion. I think I pre-purchased BfA but have yet to play. I just can't get excited about it any more. Classic does have some draw for me (leveling up weapon skills and first aid... ye gods there was some cloth farming going on back then) but I don't think it's enough to bring me back. Now, if they ever do a TBC version of "classic", I might be all over that.  I've enjoyed Elder Scrolls Online and Star Wars The Old Republic off and on as well. I think I'm more likely to drift back and forth between those two than WoW.

22 hours ago, tobarstep said:

Now, if they ever do a TBC version of "classic", I might be all over that.  

Not sure if it's serious or just wishful fanbois, but it seems that's not impossible.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291725/burning-crusade-and-wrath-legacy-servers-possibly-in-wows-future

Several interviews published today on WoW Classic confirmed that Blizzard isn't opposed to the idea of other Legacy servers in the future, such as The Burning Crusade or Wrath of the Lich King--their development may depend on the fans' interest and the fans' reaction to WoW Classic.

Considering that the Classic buy-in was 50-60x their expectations, I have to imagine they're considering it.

Their servers with layering hold easily 10x what earlier vanilla ones did, they have 56 servers up, and there were queues the first couple of weeks of over 150,000 players waiting to get in.

The math's pretty compelling, considering in another interview they said that TBC would be vastly easier to do both because they actually have the code, it was written from the start more along what they're running today, and they've already BUILT the migration tools they needed for Classic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got dragged into MC by a friend pretty much as soon as I hut 60 so I only did the vanilla level 60 instances once or twice each. I'm very much looking forward to spending more time in Strat, Scholo, and the Blackrock instances this time around. I did Wailing Caverns about 7 times on three different characters.

Cleared Uldaman the other night, yay!

I check the guild on every gnome I see, not seen any <Gnome Sweet Gnome> yet...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I got dragged into MC by a friend pretty much as soon as I hut 60

Blimey, are you 60? You look very well for that age.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here