Sign in to follow this  
JonHook

Would there be interest in an updated Superworld?

I'm curious, would there be a strong enough interest to update Superworld with a set of rules that are similar to Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition? 

• Like 1

Sure, I'd love to see it, along with more BRP rulebooks for other genres and settings.  I suspect what held Superworld back originally was that it didn't have sufficiently evocative and distinctive background and lore, certainly not compared to the Marvel and D.C. superhero RPGs at the time, or even by the standards of Champions and Villains and Vigilantes.  If BRP Superworld were to be released—or even a HeroQuest version—it would need more of an overhaul for its canon than its rules.

Edited by Travern
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MOB said:

While I would love to see a new version of Superworld based on BRP, I have come to the conclusion that HQ is a much better engine for Supers type play; much better range on playable characters in such genres. 

The exception to this opinion would be if Chaosium decided to do a WoW release... that would be Worlds of Wonder. Say three perfect bound games in a slip case? Small (-ish) books of 128p each... we could call them MagicWorld, Superworld, and FutureWorld.  😁

SDLeary

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SDLeary said:

The exception to this opinion would be if Chaosium decided to do a WoW release... that would be Worlds of Wonder. Say three perfect bound games in a slip case? Small (-ish) books of 128p each... we could call them MagicWorld, Superworld, and FutureWorld.  😁

Absolute agreement from me.

I didn't realise when Gold Book BRP was being mooted, written and playtested; but what I actually wanted was a slightly update version of Worlds of Wonder. Gold Book BRP is a great work, and only in retrospect did I realise that the bits I didn't like were not because they were in any way bad or wrong themselves, it just wasn't the book that I wanted to buy!

• Like 1

I would love A WoW boxed set as well, but I don't think they are interested in doing any tool kit type products anymore. I think the DIY market is too small to make it profitable. 

If we see a superworld game it will probably be with A complete campaign with a d100 system tooled to fit the world. I'm ok  with this since as a DIY'er I can hack it to suit my own game, 

just like every other game product I've ever bought.

Miles

19 hours ago, SDLeary said:

While I would love to see a new version of Superworld based on BRP, I have come to the conclusion that HQ is a much better engine for Supers type play; much better range on playable characters in such genres.

I agree that HQ could probably handle a better range of superheroics, particularly Golden Age and Silver Age comics, but the BRP-based Superworld has the better toolset to drill down deep into worldbuilding.  As we've discussed in another thread, the big question is where to set it.  I'd argue that it does a better job of adapting modern superheroes, such as the CW's "Arrowverse", Alan Moore's Watchmenor, obviously, George R. R. Martin's Wildcards, than most competing systems.  (I was also interested to find that @Fergo113 had adapted it for the MMORPG City of Heroes.)  Moreover, a new edition of Superworld would need a serious expansion of lore to set it apart from its competitors, some of whom have had literally decades to work on their IP, and I suspect Chaosium would prefer to own its unique setting rather than license one.

Edited by Travern

We at The Design Mechanism wholeheartedly agree that BRP can handle superheroes, which is why we released 'Agony & Ecstasy', a full-on superhero scenario. We're now taking things a step further and have initiated Project X which aims at producing a full book, complete with its own city setting.

There'll be more on the Mythras section of these boards in due course.

• Like 3

I'm not a fan of CoC 7e, so... no.
But I am interested in seeing what The Design Mechanism comes up with. I'm hoping it retains some of the core grittiness of Mythras, doesn't go too far in trying to emulate comics and movies... pre-written mediums where characters wear thick capes of plot-immunity and powers are fluid to the writer's needs.
While I do enjoy Superworld my tastes these days run closer to the tone of Godlike/Wild Talents.