Does Lunar Magic Work in the Moonshadow of The Block?

EricW

I was thinking about why the Lunars tolerate Storm Bulls around the block - I mean sure, it might be typical Lunar pragmatism, keep the bulls busy killing the wild chaos in the area, hopefully kill off a few of the more annoying bulls. But maybe there is another reason they've proven difficult to remove; maybe lunar magic fails when the light of the moon is blocked by an enormous lump of Truestone? 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricW said:

I was thinking about why the Lunars tolerate Storm Bulls around the block - I mean sure, it might be typical Lunar pragmatism, keep the bulls busy killing the wild chaos in the area, hopefully kill off a few of the more annoying bulls. But maybe there is another reason they've proven difficult to remove; maybe lunar magic fails when the light of the moon is blocked by an enormous lump of Truestone? 

Thoughts?

Lunars find anti-Chaos forces useful in general, there's no reason they'd specifically target Storm Bulls. They might not want them trampling through Silver Shadow, but they're definitely useful - just because the Lunar Way accepts that Chaos is a part of the balance doesn't mean they want broo rampaging around.

Storm Voices and other Orlanth cultists, on the other hand, are a no-no.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

4 hours ago, EricW said:

I was thinking about why the Lunars tolerate Storm Bulls around the block

Sadly it's very straightforward, it's a Praxian holy place covered under the Armistice of Prax - GtG page 443

the Armistice of Prax, which ceded control over the lands along the River of Cradles to the Lunar Empire in exchange for promises to stay away from the holy places in Prax.

"Stay away" has a military bent in my mind, so in one of my games I had Berene Pavalava the Telo Norri priestess from Pavis visit while the player were visiting. She had a Praxian guard and was looking for a lost child of a Lunar family. Sent by Porusa, the High Priestess she was unaware of the true nature of her mission (to report back on who was there and numbers). Although the cults are Hostile, they aren't enemies. The players of course looked after the old lady.

4 hours ago, EricW said:

But maybe there is another reason they've proven difficult to remove; maybe lunar magic fails when the light of the moon is blocked by an enormous lump of Truestone?

Maybe, I don't think we've any evidence that this happens, but it's nice idea to use in a game. We know large quantities of unrefined iron has this effect, like around the Dwarf magic suppression zones shown in the Guide pages 296/297.

• Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Lunars also tolerate Storm Bullers near Dorastor and at the Footprint. Even the most devout Lunar doesn't want a horde of feral broos kicking down his door in the middle of the night.

In my Glorantha, every generation or so, some Storm Buller calls for a Stampede across chaos and a host of Storm Bulls charge into Dorastor, The Footprint or the Devil's Marsh, never to be seen again. The Lunars know this and know they just need to wait until the next Storm Bull hero comes along.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here