MOB

Students at Taylor University to write and publish a Call of Cthulhu Adventure in new Professional Writing course

62126406_TaylorU-CallofCthulhu.thumb.JPG.20bfdb2e92df623b5645416ac88005a3.JPG

We are excited to announce a collaboration between Chaosium and Prof T.R. Knight in the Professional Writing department at Taylor University, Upland IN.

With the mentorship of Call of Cthulhu line editors Mike Mason and Lynne Hardy, seven students will be picking a topic, outlining, researching, writing, editing, rewriting, proofreading, choosing art, laying out, and publishing the finished book on the Miskatonic Repository. The students plan to build upon an existing legend or supernaturally rumored location in Indiana, as that is where Taylor University is located. 

https://www.chaosium.com/blogstudents-at-taylor-university-to-write-and-publish-a-call-of-cthulhu-adventure-in-new-professional-writing-course

Edited by MOB
  • Like 7

This sounds like a lot of fun! Both in a professional and, well, fun way. I envy American students for the flexibility of their curricula. The same thing happening at a stuffy German university? Unthinkable!

As someone who is a professional in teaching and learning, an enthusiast of Chaosium products, and an advocate for writing/publication for all audiences, this sounds like a win-win-win for everyone involved. 

• Like 1

A great idea. I hope they make it a really nightmarish, Lovecraftian scenario. By the way, I think we at this forum ought to collaborate on some scenarios too. There is too little of that going on.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:56 PM, midwinter said:

A great idea. I hope they make it a really nightmarish, Lovecraftian scenario. By the way, I think we at this forum ought to collaborate on some scenarios too. There is too little of that going on.

One could organize a collaboration here, and/or via a local group or FLGS, and/or YSDC... and when you have a product, either release it (for commentary / "tribal edit" / free use / etc)  here on BRPC / over on YSDC ...  or sell it on the Miskatonic Repository @ DTRPG.

It could take a while to organize a group with a common vision & goal... but if you're serious about it, such a project is do-able (I know, having been part of such an ad-hoc group; we (originally 4, became 3) had a sourcebook about 90% outlined & were working on draft of chapter-1, and writing a formal "pitch" to the publisher... when the publisher announced a substantive alteration to their publication plans & editorial policy, invalidating our project.)

At a guess, the profits from splitting authors' share of DTRPG wouldn't be much.  But I guess "earning significant money" is a ... naive motivation to publish CoC content in that channel (anyone who knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me!)

Edited by g33k
To clarify: publisher wasn't Chaosium, project wasn't Mythos
  • Like 1

Writing rpgs as part of university course work?

These Millenials are having such a good life! 😁

• Like 1