Do you start each combat round with your weapon/spell prepared?

Uthred

So I'm wondering do you start each new combat round with your spell or weapon prepared or do you have to pay the usual cost? e.g. in Round 1 I cast Demoralize, if I want to cast Demoralize again in Round 2 do I need to pay +5 SR to do so? Similarly if I end Round 1 with my missile weapon out of ammo do I need to reload it in Round 2 or is reloading subsumed into the "free" prepare?

26 minutes ago, Uthred said:

So I'm wondering do you start each new combat round with your spell or weapon prepared or do you have to pay the usual cost? e.g. in Round 1 I cast Demoralize, if I want to cast Demoralize again in Round 2 do I need to pay +5 SR to do so? Similarly if I end Round 1 with my missile weapon out of ammo do I need to reload it in Round 2 or is reloading subsumed into the "free" prepare?

Circumstantial. 

Melee weapons, penalty usually does not apply (see changing weapon and spell casting).

Range weapons and spells,   penalty usually applies . missiles and spells usually take the penalty each round (although one could conceivably have a spell or missile ready in the first round, again circumstantial). Melee weapons usully must be put away to cast a spell and taken out to wield, (or dropped picked up) usually though if the focus is the weapon... the penalty need not apply.

That leaves me the question of taking out a weapon that has been put away, obviously a penalty, but the full 5. Spell casting in melee because a little more hazardous. Perhaps it should be.  Also, I think a spell that  is repeated might not need the penalty each round... Comments on these two questions, or anything?

Found on page 194 of RQ AiG

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!