Is there an extended combat example available because I dont think I understand SRs?

KatieQ

After reading the combat chapter and trying out a test combat or two I thought I had a firm grasp on how strike ranks worked. But then when it came to actual game time it seemed to be question after question. It feels like its neither an initiative system nor an action point allowance while at the same time being both. After a thorough re-reading of the combat section I think I have a firm enough grasp on melee combat (largely because your options are quite limited). But I can't quite figure out how ranged and magic work. Melee weapons have a basic strike rank that gets added to your DEX+SIZ SR rating to determine when your attack with them takes place. However I cant see a similar cost for missile weapons? Is it your DEX SR like with magic? Do weapons adjust it? Are the following examples correct?

I) Hend has a Dex Strike Rank of 1. He starts combat prepared to cast a spell. He casts Demoralize, this goes off on SR 3 (Dex SR + cost of spell). He then prepares his sling (+5 SR) and fires (Dex SR) on SR 9. 

ii) Hend starts combat with his sling prepared, attacks on SR 1, reloads (+5) and attacks again (+1) on SR 7 and has time to reload again (+5). 

iii) Hend starts combat with Demoralize prepared, casts it on SR 3, prepares Demoralize again (+5 SR) and casts it again on SR 11.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KatieQ said:

I) Hend has a Dex Strike Rank of 1. He starts combat prepared to cast a spell. He casts Demoralize, this goes off on SR 3 (Dex SR + cost of spell). He then prepares his sling (+5 SR) and fires (Dex SR) on SR 9.

Not correct. The first MP costs no SR*.
Correct is: Demoralize on SR 2, prepares sling [+ 5 SR = SR 7], and fires on SR 8

ii) Hend starts combat with his sling prepared, attacks on SR 1, reloads (+5) and attacks again (+1) on SR 7 and has time to reload again (+5).

Correct

iii) Hend starts combat with Demoralize prepared, casts it on SR 3, prepares Demoralize again (+5 SR) and casts it again on SR 11.

Not correct. The first MP costs no SR*.
Demoralize on SR 2, prepares Demoralize again [+5 SR = SR 7], cast it again on SR 9.

In general, all your examples presuppose that Hend is non-engaged in melee and is able to do MULTIPLE ACTIVITIES OUTSIDE OF MELEE. [RQG p 195]

And: There isn't an extended combat example available.

-----------------

* "To determine the strike rank for spirit magic and sorcery spells, add the strike rank modifier for the magic points used in the spell to the adventurer’s DEX strike rank modifier. Remember that the first magic point used in the spell has no strike rank modifier." [RQG, p 194, 2nd Print]

Edited by prinz.slasar
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KatieQ said:

Thanks for the answers. I suppose part of what confused me is the example of pg. 195  "Vasana, with her DEX 11 (and DEX strike rank of 3) could cast a Demoralize spell, taking 5 strike ranks."

The example is wrong in terms of RAW.
You could save it if you're going with RAI and say: Vasana is casting a boosted Demoralize-spell for 2+1=3 MP. In that case the example would be correct.

Edited by prinz.slasar

8 hours ago, KatieQ said:

It feels like its neither an initiative system nor an action point allowance while at the same time being both.

Yes, and you're not alone with this being confusing and problematic... See also this thread. I'm personally planning on only using the "initiative system" parts of SR, and fudging/house-ruling the "point allowance" parts (which, AFAICT, are OK except when it comes to melee weapons, because their SR stat is biased towards the "initiative" part).

3 hours ago, prinz.slasar said:

The example is wrong in terms of RAW.
You could save it if you're going with RAI and say: Vasana is casting a boosted Demoralize-spell for 2+1=3 MP. In that case the example would be correct.

The way I interpret the rules is that:

• Vasana has DEX SR 3
  • Demoralize is a 2 points Spirit Magic spell so (without any boosting), spending 2 magic points means SR +2
  • So Vasana casts Demoralize at SR 3+2 = 5

Seems to me RAW are correct. Am I missing something?

Edit: oh I just read @prinz.slasar's footnote, I missed that the first magic point is "free" for SR. That's easy to miss :D

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

The way I use Strike Rank is only to use it to answer the question: Who strikes first when two people enter combat with each other. I think trying to make it into an impulse system is overcomplicating what is at the heart simple. I know that this is not exactly how it is described in the rulebook, but I think it is the easiest way to handle it.