ColoradoCthulhu

Nephilim, Superworld - Does Anyone Still Play These RPGs?

2 hours ago, umlauthuth said:

I have a weird urge to run a kind of reverse-Nephilim game where the PCs are working for the Fraternitas Saturnii or the like, hunting Nephilim. Really hit the gnostic themes. 

*cough* Call of Cthulhu *cough* Lloigor *cough*

!i!

1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

Lloegr is Welsh for "England", and appears in Medieval Welsh as Lloigor, which never ceases to amuse me

58 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Lloegr is Welsh for "England", and appears in Medieval Welsh as Lloigor, which never ceases to amuse me

Lloegyr is Welsh for "The Foreign Lands". If you look at a map, its generally equated to the area southeast of the Fosse Way, and equates to the area most heavily Romanized. Oddly, its also the area the Welsh thought was most English, and today is the area that considers itself British as opposed to Welsh, English, or Scottish. In other words it really translates to "Them odd folk who don't think like us proper folk". 😉

I have never seen it spelled Lloigor though. Would you have a source?

And the Lloigor that I know should be hunted, lest they regain a foothold and enslave us!

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

30 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

I have never seen it spelled Lloigor though. Would you have a source?

Oh my books are so buried, but it's middle welsh for sure. lloegr is singular and appears in words like lloegr newydd "new england"

https://cy.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloegr_Newydd

On 9/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, Ian Absentia said:

!i!

If I were to make a specific CoC connection, I’d probably take the Nephilim to be offspring of Yog-Sothoth a la Dunwich Horror. 

15 hours ago, umlauthuth said:

If I were to make a specific CoC connection, I’d probably take the Nephilim to be offspring of Yog-Sothoth a la Dunwich Horror. 

Or perhaps the Great Race of Yith from "Shadow Out of Time" -- there are several potential angles.  (And speaking of angles and trans-temporal adventure, how 'bout them Hounds of Tindalos?)

So how would your campaign compare with a Call of Cthulhu adventure?  In CoC, the action is typically Thwart & Destroy, where the monsters are categorically unsympathetic.  In a Nephilim campaign, or even a counter-Nephilim game, the "monsters" may actually have humanity's best interests at heart, even if it may not be immediately evident.  Taking the whole body possession issue off the table, how would your Fraternitas Saturnii players react to a potentially sympathetic adversary?

!i!

The Yithians lack the “literally they’re just nephilim tho” angle that Dunwich Horror has. 

Are the nephilim sympathetic, or is the game material just written from a nephilim-centric viewpoint?

Edited by umlauthuth

You'd have to play the game to find out.  That's where the adventure lies.

As I suggested above, though, it sounds like you're interested in playing Call of Cthulhu, not Nephilim.  Which is fine -- I played a Call of Cthulhu campaign from the POV of the monsters a good half-decade before the publication of Vampire: the Masquerade.  Shine on.

!i!

Edited by Ian Absentia

The Mythras Matters podcast (http://www.buzzsprout.com/266482/1783405-1-6-super-powers-and-fluttering-capes?play=true) deals specifically with our forthcoming Superheroes game for Mythras. It features a detailed interview with Brian Pivik and Mike Larrimore, the dynamic duo behind the new rules. It offers a great insight into the design process and the approach we're taking to the superhero genre.

• Like 2

A nice POD edition of Superworld would would be a good option.  It would help keep the product alive as a physical thing without burdening Chaosium with inventory.  I’d combine it with the Companion for completeness and playability.  While I agree with others that Champions is the better rules set, Chaosium is currently in a stronger position to promote its product than Hero Games.  And Superworld remains a historically significant game.  Take full advantage!  I’d have a terrible time getting my hands on Champions 3rd edition if I ever lost my copy.  Why let the V&V folks have all the fun and profits?

On 9/9/2019 at 11:19 AM, Kloster said:

"Bad Medicine for Dr Drugs" was not that bad.

Yeah. Ok, it was!!

Hmmm, I totally disagree. My group hat a lot of fun with it in our Dark Champions campaign. I considered it THE BEST Module for Superworld!

Not that there were that many ...

45 minutes ago, Der Rote Baron said:

I considered it THE BEST Module for Superworld!

You were probably right.

45 minutes ago, Der Rote Baron said:

Not that there were that many ..

This is probably the reason why it can be highly ranked.

Thta is true but even though it sounded as I wanted to say "Sweetesr of a all the sour grapes" I really like it and would recommende it for low-powered  street level vigilantes, teen supers or four-coloured superheroes looking for something different.

I think it is a good adventure. Sad that there weren't more like "Bad Medicine"!

29 minutes ago, Der Rote Baron said:

I think it is a good adventure. Sad that there weren't more like "Bad Medicine"!

Given the spotty quality of most monthly comics that the game attempted to emulate, it's sad that there weren't just more adventures of any kind.

!i!

• Like 1

I always ripped off adventures from multiple games, regardless of who published them.  I can get the gist of a villain from one game system and create a reasonable facsimile in another:  in fact, several supplements from that era actually included stats for 2-4 different games.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:25 AM, lawrence.whitaker said:

The Mythras Matters podcast (http://www.buzzsprout.com/266482/1783405-1-6-super-powers-and-fluttering-capes?play=true) deals specifically with our forthcoming Superheroes game for Mythras. It features a detailed interview with Brian Pivik and Mike Larrimore, the dynamic duo behind the new rules. It offers a great insight into the design process and the approach we're taking to the superhero genre.

I'm always up for adding another super hero RPG to my collection.  Superworld was my  go to game for a couple decades, before Supers! Revised took its place, but I'd like to see another take on supers using a BRP type system. 

On 9/25/2019 at 9:00 AM, umlauthuth said:

The Yithians lack the “literally they’re just nephilim tho” angle that Dunwich Horror has. 

Are the nephilim sympathetic, or is the game material just written from a nephilim-centric viewpoint?

The English adaptation was not a faithful translation. It made a bunch of changes to the lore and replaced core mechanics in supplements. About a decade ago some of the freelancers and other Nephilim fans from the mailing list drafted plans for a new edition tentatively named Ex Oculus. In this setting, the nephilim were changed to reincarnating human souls with elemental powers. It paid lip-service to the prior edition by claiming there was evidence to the contrary without ever showing any and letting PCs choose their own POV. 

The English adaptation’s awakened human concept appears loosely in the French third edition as the character type Ar-Kaïm. They are awakened humans with elemental powers, but no past lives or ancient identity. They deal primarily with mundane concerns over occult.

I would really like to see the English adaptation get a chance to explore its nascent ideas. Concepts like selenim, xian-ren, shamanism, revised summoning, and so forth never got explored in the new lore and rules context. I have no idea how ar-kaïm would be handled therein.

With the yahoo group shuttering, the English mailing list archives are being deleted forever and the few people who posted recently have moved to a new list on groups.io opened by Shannon Patrick. Sadly the cost to easy import the yahoo archives is too high ($200 last I checked) so it never sent out a message to the whole member list. Until December this is your last chance to archive anything.