Cults of Prax: what the critics said then, and what they say now (Unnatural Selections #27)

MOB

Cults of Prax was published forty years ago this year. Its groundbreaking presentation of gods and how they interact with the world through those who worship them still makes it one of the most influential and important works ever released for RuneQuest and the world of Glorantha, and indeed for roleplaying games in general. 

https://www.chaosium.com/blogunnatural-selections-27-cults-of-prax-what-the-critics-said-then-and-what-they-say-now

• Like 4

While I found that RuneQuest really resonated with me, it was definitely Cults of Prax that sold me on the world of Glorantha! The travels of Biturian Varosh really helped flesh out the relation of the gods and cults to society and provided a great view into the world.

Cults of Prax and Griffin Mountain were my go-to works for years (and were fully used all through the days of RQ3 as well) and their covers and pages by far show the most wear-and-tear.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This is an expanded version of the above post, published in Black Gate Magazine. The fact that the first-ever RPG "splat book" (1979) is still considered "vastly innovative" and "one of the best looks at religion ever in an RPG" (Designers & Dragons) is a testament to Greg Stafford and Steve Perrin's enduring creative genius. 'Cults of Prax' was certainly inspirational to me as a teenage RPG creator, and I am very fortunate to have later known and worked with both of them.

https://www.blackgate.com/2019/10/06/cults-of-prax-then-and-now

• Like 2