Joann Sfar's Uz homage to Luise Perrene's original RuneQuest cover

MOB

8 hours ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Badly drawn amirite

It's well worth noting that art -- and the goodness or badness thereof -- is a very subjective thing, the definitional instance of "a matter of taste."

Whether I like it, or don't; whether you like it, or don't; whether either/both/neither of us agree with the broader viewing (and buying) audience, or the hordes of Critic/Barbarian multiclass'es, or the artists themselves... really has very little bearing on whether it's good, or bad... or badly drawn.

😁 

That I like a piece means no more or less than that I like that piece.  Or dislike.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 9/2/2019 at 2:40 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

JOANN SFAR IS A FAN OF GLORANTHA?!?!?!??! YESSSSSSSS

Le chat du rabbin is one of my favorite books of all time and his dungeon stories rule

Well, considering the hero of his Donjon comic book is a duck and it contains broos, that's not a surprise. ;)

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Considering the joy these are bringing, I truly wish I could see what all see but me. Oh well, so as not to be a buzzkill I shall let all enjoy and shut the hell up with anymore negativity! :)

Considering how much I have loved most of Chaosium’s artwork I have nothing to complain about.

Cheers

They are very evocative and dynamic. They look lively because they resemble animation stills where some features are exaggerated to make the animation look smoother.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

you don't meet a lot of bilingual barbarians in fiction

You're reading about the wrong barbarians, then. Whether Fafhrd or Conan or Cormac Mac Art or any old Viking serving in Miklagard, these guys were quick to adopt the local lingos when it augmented  their access to the local feminity or traders

But then, our Bill is only posing as a barbarian. He really is just another nerd stuck somewhere in the vicinity of the Arctic Circle. That's a habitat which breeds Glorantha fans and hard rock bands, and some multilingualism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Telling how it is excessive verbis

11 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Ssssswwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeett!

That made my day!

Merci beaucoup!

1 minute ago, Joerg said:

But then, our Bill is only posing as a barbarian. He really is just another nerd stuck somewhere in the vicinity of the Arctic Circle. That's a habitat which breeds Glorantha fans and hard rock bands, and some multilingualism.

Excusez moi, monsieur, je comprends pas q’est que  tu dit. Mais je suis tard pour mon concert avec Rush, et c’est bien froid en dehors, donc ca faut que je trouve mon parka. Ah bien, c’est juste ici, proche du mes livres du RuneQuest.
Salut!

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Excusez moi, monsieur, je comprends pas q’est que  tu dit. Mais je suis tard pour mon concert avec Rush, et c’est bien froid en dehors, donc ca faut que je trouve mon parka. Ah bien, c’est juste ici, proche du mes livres du RuneQuest.

Quod erat demonstrandum...

Je regrette que je ne sais pas rêpondre comme ca, et je ne trouve pas toute les accents.

If you already need a parka at this time of the year, where do you hibernate?

9 minutes ago, Joerg said:

If you already need a parka at this time of the year, where do you hibernate?

A nord du the glacier valind. Tu ne lit pas, mon ami?

Here in the great white north, we joke how Americans come looking for our igloos.

33 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

As per usual, our friend Joerg is correct. The norm is multilingual barbarians.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

A nord du the glacier valind. Tu ne lit pas, mon ami?

Yeah, big deal.

Two locations come to mind: Altinela, a magical city on the edge of the Earth, with a bridge into heaven, and some Chaos monsters braving the beach often enough to keep the population on its toes, or that miraculous valley inhabited by peaceful broos. Which one is it?

But seriously, it's just a week or two since T-Shirt weather. Who would don winter clothing while the sun still lifts above the horizon?

I used to work north of the Glacier on the Arctic Circle, although east of the Atlantic.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Joerg said:

But seriously, it's just a week or two since T-Shirt weather. Who would don winter clothing while the sun still lifts above the horizon?

I suppose that is true, Sunday we hit the beastly hot high of  17ºc, about the average for this supposed summer month (gads, I miss global warming). I almost stripped naked. 

now shall we give the nice MOB his thread back?

9 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Two locations come to mind: Altinela, a magical city on the edge of the Earth, with a bridge into heaven, and some Chaos monsters braving the beach often enough to keep the population on its toes, or that miraculous valley inhabited by peaceful broos. Which one is it?

Oh, and to yer other query, the third one, The really cold one.

1 minute ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Nova Scotia is where my parents live

Sorry @MOB, we must squat just a bit longer. We’re going honest.

Nova Scotia is one of the truly spectacular places in this truly spectacular country. A jewel nestled on the east coast Alas, I have never been east of Montreal.

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Sorry @MOB, we must squat just a bit longer. We’re going honest.

Nova Scotia is one of the truly spectacular places in this truly spectacular country. A jewel nestled on the east coast Alas, I have never been east of Montreal.

Lower LaHave. It's a g e m and it's in the "no we don't get 11' of snow" edge of the island. so many birds. the community is so great there, and the produce is absolutely exquisite.

• Like 1

I've been silently amused by the fact that the Mistress Troll is straight up drawn with a chainmail bikini*, one of the most egregious tropes of fantasy. But in this piece it just sorta works.

(*or hex-kini, if we want to be playful and ignore the actual etymology)

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I've been silently amused by the fact that the Mistress Troll is straight up drawn with a chainmail bikini*, one of the most egregious tropes of fantasy. But in this piece it just sorta works.

(*or hex-kini, if we want to be playful and ignore the actual etymology)

Haha, that's what I'll call them from now on.

Just now, PhilHibbs said:

Quadkini, since it's a four-piece garment?

You juuust missed the correction boat, sorry.

Also, I'm guessing the Greek is standard, since the onesie version is apparently called a monokini.

(In reality, both Latin and Greek are merely intruding onto what is rightfully Pikinni, from Marshallese, an Austronesian language, but that is neither here nor there.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

@Joerg very kindly reminded me that it would be a tetra-kini, given that it's not counting the individual cups of the top, but rather the top and bottom pieces. :lol: I am deeply sartorially ashamed.

If it was a "dikini", then it would be "tetra-" since those are greek. bi- is latin, so four should be quad-. :P

Edited by PhilHibbs

1 minute ago, PhilHibbs said:

If it was a "dikini", then it would be "tetra-" since those are greek. bi- is latin, so four should be quad-. 😝

Sorry, but then the correct Latin would be Quatro-kini. Four-wheeled motorbikes and scantily clad models might be presented together, but rarely with tusks in the mix.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

If it was a "dikini", then it would be "tetra-" since those are greek. bi- is latin, so four should be quad-. :P

No Phil. not so because tetrakini does not come from two kinis but from the Trollish Isle Tetrakini which was laid waste by nasty magics in a test/demonstration of a Dark Magical Union. The effects were so devastating that even fashion was effected that year. Soon everything tetrakini was hot and when the new chain armour being made in Troll Town in the Rubble for mistress race trolls came out that year... well you can guess the rest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

No Phil. not so because tetrakini does not come from two kinis but from the Trollish Isle Tetrakini which was laid waste by nasty magics in a test/demonstration of a Dark Magical Union. The effects were so devastating that even fashion was effected that year. Soon everything tetrakini was hot and when the new chain armour being made in Troll Town in the Rubble for mistress race trolls came out that year... well you can guess the rest.

no, you're thinking of tetrazzini

image.thumb.png.53cfd5fe2d98e398d60c433ff6af7427.png