Joann Sfar's Uz homage to Luise Perrene's original RuneQuest cover

MOB

15 hours ago, g33k said:

It's well worth noting that art -- and the goodness or badness thereof -- is a very subjective thing, the definitional instance of "a matter of taste."

Whether I like it, or don't; whether you like it, or don't; whether either/both/neither of us agree with the broader viewing (and buying) audience, or the hordes of Critic/Barbarian multiclass'es, or the artists themselves... really has very little bearing on whether it's good, or bad... or badly drawn.

😁

That I like a piece means no more or less than that I like that piece.  Or dislike.

Yes! It is perfectly acceptable that you like, or dislike, this badly drawn picture of a troll.

Dobyski with colour added. 😈

Edited by goldenwheeldancer

3 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I don't know if this is an attempt at trolling or if its straightforward crassness, but can't we just let people enjoy things?

it's the second post @golden wheel dancer has made in this thread insulting the art; their last post was simply:

On 9/2/2019 at 6:42 PM, goldenwheeldancer said:

Badly drawn amirite

i actually gave a cogent reply the first time, which they clearly ignored 100%

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

4 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I don't know if this is an attempt at trolling or if its straightforward crassness, but can't we just let people enjoy things?

Mostly trolling, I think.

And contrarian for the lulz, I guess?

I mean... Sfar is a wildly popular artist/creator, winning awards for his drawings & paintings, for his films...  The man is clearly a genius, but <shrug> not every genius' work is to everyones' taste, eh? (sorry, Barbarian, don't mean to step on your toes there).

Plenty of "great art" I don't care to look at the, "great literature" that I can't stand to read, etc.

I mean... I've met people who don't like chocolate, for ArachneSolara's sake!  I'm not even certain they're the same species that I am...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

6 hours ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Yes! It is perfectly acceptable that you like, or dislike, this badly drawn picture of a troll.

Dobyski with colour added. 😈

MODERATOR'S VOICE: Knock it off. You've already let everyone know you don't like his work. You aren't engaging in the thread like a civilised adult - you are just trolling.. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, Jeff said:

MODERATOR'S VOICE: Knock it off. You've already let everyone know you don't like his work. You aren't engaging in the thread like a civilised adult - you are just trolling.. 

Well given the art is partly a celebration of the Uz (as well as Luise's work), trolling might no be the best word to describe it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

For those who can't find their way around in these illustrations: it seems to me that it's only a post on Joan Sfar's page in homage to Runequest. 
It's a shame to be so negative when a person only wants to share his passion with his fans (50,000). It is for those who like its style not necessarily for those who like RQ (1700?) 

Let's be a little tactful...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pierre said:

It's a shame to be so negative when a person only wants to share his passion with his fans (50,000). It is for those who like its style not necessarily for those who like RQ (1700?) 

For a game company to grow, its fanbase must also grow. 

For a fanbase to grow, fans must spend more effort finding ways to welcome newcomers than in blocking them at the gate.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I quite agree, I am not sure we want to chase Golden Wheel Dancer away. 

Listen, nobody is chasing him away, I think it's appropriate that the moderator said "knock it off"

We don't want to chase people away; we also don't want cat piss man. Moderation is in fact appropriate.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

Listen, nobody is chasing him away, I think it's appropriate that the moderator said "knock it off"

Again not sure.

If someone says they like the art twice should they be told to knock it off?  Should I give my opinion of the art again, (alas negative), should I? I have seen trolling around here that lasted for pages (literally pages) that was definitely trolling done by people who are still here. Mostly said people (those who are still here) are behaving themselves. None of them had the hammer come down but people did criticize and did say they were wrong and their forums were closed. Have we changed them, doubt it, have we got them to play nicely with the other children in the playground? To early to tell, but I do see some good contributing behaviour from people I had written off as being wastes of pixels.

Now, waiting for pages of hate to go by and sit up in the forums for days before chiding or penalizing someone  is wrong, maybe chiding someone after one or two posts we don’t like is too much as well. Just because we have suffered bullshit from the trolls, let’s not lose perspective,  let’s be a little sensitive and tolerant ourselves, no? And not chase off those who can be asked to pull in their horns (or tusks) and be part of the community as good contributing members. Am I being to Canadian?

Remember there are people here who’s posts I do not like, but I try to be tolerant and accepting just in case there point is valid and mine is shit. It happens. Now back to the discussion of art and remember not all will like it

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

18 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Again not sure.

If someone says they like the art twice should they be told to knock it off?  Should I give my opinion of the art again, (alas negative), should I? I have seen trolling around here that lasted for pages (literally pages) that was definitely trolling done by people who are still here. Mostly said people (those who are still here) are behaving themselves. None of them had the hammer come down but people did criticize and did say they were wrong and their forums were closed. Have we changed them, doubt it, have we got them to play nicely with the other children in the playground? To early to tell, but I do see some good contributing behaviour from people I had written off as being wastes of pixels.

Now, waiting for pages of hate to go by and sit up in the forums for days before chiding or penalizing someone  is wrong, maybe chiding someone after one or two posts we don’t like is too much as well. Just because we have suffered bullshit from the trolls, let’s not lose perspective,  let’s be a little sensitive and tolerant ourselves, no? And not chase off those who can be asked to pull in their horns (or tusks) and be part of the community as good contributing members. Am I being to Canadian?

Remember there are people here who’s posts I do not like, but I try to be tolerant and accepting just in case there point is valid and mine is shit. It happens. Now back to the discussion of art and remember not all will like it

Cheers

Generally I think you raise some good issues; but...

Regarding the piece I bold'ed, I just want to note that "This is great" and "This is shit" are both opinions... but not necessarily parallel.

I think one is more-subject to moderating because it's so negative:  negativity sucks, and in particular it sucks the civility out.  If I say "this is great" about something you dislike, and go on and on about it, you may be annoyed &c, but you seldom feel personally attacked.  If I say "this sucks" and go on and on about how sucky something you love is, that does run closer to making you feel attacked.

Do I make any sense here?

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks, I think we like each others posts to be honest. That is why I might be the guy (maybe the only guy) to come to his assistance (he might not agree that I am being of assistance based on my  opinions below)

16 minutes ago, g33k said:

I think one is more-subject to moderating because it's so negative:  negativity sucks, and in particular it sucks the civility out.  If I say "this is great" about something you dislike, and go on and on about it, you may be annoyed &c, but you seldom feel personally attacked.  If I say "this sucks" and go on and on about how sucky something you love is, that does run closer to making you feel attacked.

I truly agree with all that! But something sucking surely is not a reason to go the barricades. Well for two posts anyway, at three well have at it!  I re-read the posts in question and I find them bad, simple, and well I could go on, but shan’t but surely that is okay. We are not being graded here on good posts and bad posts (just popular ones). Ah well, I have done my bit for tolerance of critics, even, or especially, when they are wrong.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
clarity

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Thanks, I think we like each others posts to be honest. That is why I might be the guy (maybe the only guy) to come to his assistance (he might not agree that I am being of assistance based on my  opinions below)

I truly agree with all that! But something sucking surely is not a reason to go the barricades. Well for two posts anyway, at three well have at it!  I re-read the posts in question and I find them bad, simple, and well I could go on, but shan’t but surely that is okay. We are not being graded here on good posts and bad posts (just popular ones). Ah well, I have done my bit for tolerance of critics, even, or especially, when they are wrong.

Cheers

Golden Wheel Dancer was not thread-banned, or even given a time out. I just said knock it off. 

• Like 4

On 9/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

God can you imagine if he did a Glorantha comic, I'd literally die

His comic series about the dungeon dwellers is incredible and his emotional work in The Rabbi's Cat is subtle, graceful, and moving. Imagine if he finished Prince of Sartar, I'd diieeeee.

"Literally"... 🙄

(ESL teacher... )

• Haha 1