More Magic questions

Lloyd Dupont

I had my first play test this weekend, without any books! 😮 
I'd say it went not too bad! :) 

As usual thee is some magic issue that left me unsatisfied... some of them due to my ignorance of rule, some of them because I am being difficult! :D 
Hence I have some questions and comments.

- first I had magical sword with too many bonus. Increase damage +4, Fire 1, "Life" 1 (an undead killing energy) and I added all damage sources. It occur to me that I should not... although.. arguably these are all different kind of bonus. But it seems to me one can kind of game the system by using many weak powers instead of one expensive one. Did I miss something?

- They fought some Wraith. I was a bit unsure how damage would work against wraith. Would they take only the Fire1, "life1"+4 damage an ignore the kinetic damage? Shouldn't they take less against fire? What if they had armour? I felt unsure here.. I made them immune to kinetic damage, but also give them no amour (despite being ghost of soldier) to make them more killable.. but felt not quite right about it... Somehow I also think immaterial creature should take less from fire too.. shouldn't they?

- Finally I was depressed by Project [Energy] as usual.. but then I thought.. stop with the tweaking. Let's tabula rasa, come up with a "new magic" that will please me. So list what I like and don't like and come up with something that fit all criteria! 😮 
Long Story
My first thought was to do a bit like divine magic, chose my favorite might for each spell and go with it. But then it occur to me I still want to increase the might for some yet unknown but feel good "price"...

It's a bit tricky here, the rule have an internal consistency. You want to increase the might as much as chanelling. You want energy to be its own dice. Expensive firebolt like in BRP don't really feel good (they feel like D&D3e with a Wizard level 1, "that's it, I did my sleep for the day guys, I am out" 😕 ) (and what would you pay for in RD100 anyway?) but spamming 6D6 firebolt didn't feel good either (spamming 2D6~3D4 feels good). And between a starting sorcerer (6 in channelling) and an experienced one (9~10 in channeling) you can't really scale thing the way I want by going through 6 to 9, it's too squished on the high numbers...
But then one thing that did feel good, it took the whole round to cast deadly firebolts at range against 3 enemies.

Short Story
I came up with an idea!
I am thinking to simply keep most things as they are, except change the SR cost.
Maybe a flat 5SR per channeling point.

This way the wizard can spam moderately powerful spells. But big one would take some effort (i.e. rounds) to cast...

If I do that... and the Wizard take some damage... and lose some SR, that should cancel the spell right? Since he is already big in negative SR, right?

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

A more articulated reply:

8 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

- first I had magical sword with too many bonus. Increase damage +4, Fire 1, "Life" 1 (an undead killing energy) and I added all damage sources. It occur to me that I should not... although.. arguably these are all different kind of bonus. But it seems to me one can kind of game the system by using many weak powers instead of one expensive one. Did I miss something?

And what prevents the opposition from stacking 1-point Absorb enchantments on their armour? Note also that the rules suggest that simple organic armour can have an intrinsic 1-point absorb heat/cold. Not really a big issue.

- They fought some Wraith. I was a bit unsure how damage would work against wraith. Would they take only the Fire1, "life1"+4 damage an ignore the kinetic damage? Shouldn't they take less against fire? What if they had armour? I felt unsure here.. I made them immune to kinetic damage, but also give them no amour (despite being ghost of soldier) to make them more killable.. but felt not quite right about it... Somehow I also think immaterial creature should take less from fire too.. shouldn't they?

The advice is to trait a battle against the Wraith as a psychic one, using Conflict or Basic Combat rules. See the El Dorado example adventure. If you prefer, you can solve it with the classic BRP "has hit points and immunity to mundane attacks approach", too. But be careful, in this case the Wraith has Toughness, not hit points, and since it takes damage only from the magic bonus of a weapon it may become impossible to take it down. It might be necessary to give a magic "quality" to the extra damage dealt by enchanted weapons (the doubling for Slash and the +1d8 for Impale) to keep the creature defeatable.

Short Story
I came up with an idea!
I am thinking to simply keep most things as they are, except change the SR cost.
Maybe a flat 5SR per channeling point.

This way the wizard can spam moderately powerful spells. But big one would take some effort (i.e. rounds) to cast...

If I do that... and the Wizard take some damage... and lose some SR, that should cancel the spell right? Since he is already big in negative SR, right?

That would make playing a magician very boring: while fighters roll the dice and try to use effects to land a blow through parries, the wizard marks off SR from the tally, hoping no one attacks him. This for several rounds.

After intensive firebolt-testing for Red Moon Rising, we found a solution that keeps the game interesting for high level magicians, too, and makes high Might spells a gamble, incentivizing a reduction in Might when you are not facing dinosaurs. Stay tuned, it is almost ready for downlooad.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

17 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

It might be necessary to give a magic "quality" to the extra damage dealt by enchanted weapons (the doubling for Slash and the +1d8 for Impale) to keep the creature defeatable.

Reading that again, I like it!
(that was quite clear, dunno why I didn't get it fully first time 😮