The new Malleus Monstrorum: some Work-in-Progress

37 minutes ago, Agentmax7 said:

That said, I was not looking to make anyone annoyed, I only had one opinion which is obviously my own opinion, which I hope is a little clearer now.

Welcome to BRP central and sorry if we come across poorly, we do try to welcome people as a rule, and thank you for a/ posting an opinion, as you note, it is a hard time to try to communicate, so well done, and b/ Thanks for sticking around and posting again, brave of you...

I think I got your drift you are of the show not tell school  

In any case post away and again welcome.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great news: layout for the Malleus Monstrorum is almost done! Here's a few finished pages to whet your appetite for our mighty mythos bestiary...

Weighing in at 480 pages, the new Malleus Monstrorum will be coming out as a two volume hardcover slipcase set! Volume I Monsters of the Mythos - 216 pages Volume II Deities of the Mythos - 264

More malignant MALLEUS MONSTRORUM work-in-progress by the amazing Loïc Muzy...Chakota, Cold One, Crawling Ones, Thrall of Cthulhu

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, Agentmax7 said:

I think it's sad that the mood on the forum got so bad.
I guess everyone's a little bit right in some of what they write.
That said, I was not looking to make anyone annoyed, I only had one opinion which is obviously my own opinion, which I hope is a little clearer now.

keep it up everyone

Great post Agentmax7! It can be very difficult to read intent online. This helps to clarify what your goals were. I'm all about that aesthetic tradition discussion! Let's discuss in another thread.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

More of Loïc Muzy's magnificent work-in-progress from the MALLEUS MONSTRORUM, due out later this year. Seen here, Courtier of the King in Yellow, Avatar of Nyarlathotep (the Bloody Tongue), Scarecrow.
907807776_KinginYellowCourtiersofthe(wasPallidDancers).thumb.jpg.9697b9e9e4c26aacdc0c4629f9c3b569.jpg

653771342_Capturedecran2020-04-14a23_45_57.png.7744913231dbfc40ad7a6d0b60a82113.png

Scarecrow.thumb.jpeg.6460d78a96316638c5a58e8e906ab953.jpeg

• Like 6

Muzy's work looks superb as always, and these previews continue to whet my already slavering appetite for the final work.

Will the new edition of the Malleus Monstrorum feature solely Muzy's art, or will there be a mix like the old one?

• Like 1

I have to say that the 7th edition material is of a much higher production quality than what I have seen for the sixth edition. The 7th edition covers, interior art, and layout now match or surpass that of other major tabletop gaming studios like Wizards of the Coast, which Call of Cthulhu's releases in the recent past didn't achieve.

Interestingly, the earliest CoC supplements for the 1st and 2nd editions are also high quality but then releases seemed to decline after that until rising to their current quality for the 7th edition. Any thoughts on why this happened?

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ColoradoCthulhu said:

I have to say that the 7th edition material is of a much higher production quality than what I have seen for the sixth edition. The 7th edition covers, interior art, and layout now match or surpass that of other major tabletop gaming studios like Wizards of the Coast, which Call of Cthulhu's releases in the recent past didn't achieve.

Interestingly, the earliest CoC supplements for the 1st and 2nd editions are also high quality but then releases seemed to decline after that until rising to their current quality for the 7th edition. Any thoughts on why this happened?

Thank you for the compliments. The Chaosium Call of Cthulhu team all works very hard to produce quality material in all aspects.

As for the quality of some of the material produced for the 3rd through the 6th edition, there is no all encompassing answer. One thing I do know is that from 1998 until 2015, a period of almost 20 years, Chaosium was in a financial crisis and always struggled to have enough money to keep going. Most things were done on a shoestring budget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Thank you for the compliments. The Chaosium Call of Cthulhu team all works very hard to produce quality material in all aspects.

As for the quality of some of the material produced for the 3rd through the 6th edition, there is no all encompassing answer. One thing I do know is that from 1998 until 2015, a period of almost 20 years, Chaosium was in a financial crisis and always struggled to have enough money to keep going. Most things were done on a shoestring budget.

I noticed that the turnaround started at 2015, which could be called "The Chaosium Renaissance." My guess was that budgets for projects in the recent past were just lower before the 7th edition and then Chaosium's fortunes started to rise in the last five years along with much of the tabletop gaming industry. Thank you, Stranger Things, I suppose. :)

• Like 1

Moon Design took over Chaosium from the previous management when Chaosium went into big debt and started to fail. The guys at Moon Design paid all the Chaosium debts and among other things improved Chaosium’s quality. They also brought RuneQuest and Pendragon back into the fold. They saved Chaosium.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, rsanford said:

Moon Design took over Chaosium from the previous management when Chaosium went into big debt and started to fail. The guys at Moon Design paid all the Chaosium debts and among other things improved Chaosium’s quality. They also brought RuneQuest and Pendragon back into the fold. They saved Chaosium.

Rpg.net has an overview of Chaosium's history, from 1975 to 2006. The article cites three periods in which Chaosium struggled to remain afloat financially.

History of Chaosium Inc

There is also a comprehensive product list for Call of Cthulhu on rpg.net, starting with the Call of Cthulhu First Edition (1981) box set (a history of the product covers are linked from this list).

Complete List of Call of Cthulhu Releases

Some releases such as the most recent published versions of Cthulhu by Gaslight, Dreamlands, and the Malleus Monstrorum look like they did have higher production budgets, but releases in the period immediately before the Moon Design takeover seemed to be increasingly shoestring.

Edited by ColoradoCthulhu
  • 1 month later...

Great news: layout for the Malleus Monstrorum is almost done! Here's a few finished pages to whet your appetite for our mighty mythos bestiary...

21175879_ScreenShot2020-05-30at9_28_05am.png.ca387112dde4b7de417d84fe269b75c8.png

442406845_ScreenShot2020-05-30at9_30_42am.png.564918a2ebdb58db672e292da4f7f9fc.png

470039928_ScreenShot2020-05-30at9_31_40am.png.a3ce6066c1491116e7e071efb6c04dc4.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I know this is an out there recommendation, but ...

Lovecraft was inventing NEW monsters - they're way scarier.

What about having section on creating new custom monsters - how to build weird powers, bizarre weaknesses, and such.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Archivist said:

I know this is an out there recommendation, but ...

Lovecraft was inventing NEW monsters - they're way scarier.

What about having section on creating new custom monsters - how to build weird powers, bizarre weaknesses, and such.

It's in there. Done. For both monsters and gods.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

The best thing about the original MM is that it doesn't feel like another monster manual. This one does. Just an opinion, and I like the art, but the design sensibility of the original was 1000* more interesting. I feel the same way about pretty much every Chaosium book that has come out since the Great Restoration. Content-wise they are mostly great (which is a massive improvement over the preceding decade or two which was all over the place...and 90% of all of that stuff had terrible layout aesthetics), but the layout and design of this and the RQ/CoC lines since the "GR" in general seem to be aiming directly at ~2005 d20 era products as a design target.

Again, not a troll post, please don't temp ban me, fill my inbox with hate mail or spend three pages in a public display of outrage. the last thing IMO that an rpg book really needs is engaging layout. It just needs to be clearly written/edited and have good content. Just underwhelmed by the nouveau-retro Design Concrete style that the recent books have used.

3 hours ago, tedopon said:

The best thing about the original MM is that it doesn't feel like another monster manual. This one does. Just an opinion, and I like the art, but the design sensibility of the original was 1000* more interesting. I feel the same way about pretty much every Chaosium book that has come out since the Great Restoration. Content-wise they are mostly great (which is a massive improvement over the preceding decade or two which was all over the place...and 90% of all of that stuff had terrible layout aesthetics), but the layout and design of this and the RQ/CoC lines since the "GR" in general seem to be aiming directly at ~2005 d20 era products as a design target.

Again, not a troll post, please don't temp ban me, fill my inbox with hate mail or spend three pages in a public display of outrage. the last thing IMO that an rpg book really needs is engaging layout. It just needs to be clearly written/edited and have good content. Just underwhelmed by the nouveau-retro Design Concrete style that the recent books have used.

When you post rarely, and show up and say that the entire direction of a line over six years isn't to your liking, it is really difficult to see it as anything but a troll post. You can't say "no offense, but..." as a get out of consequences for what you say.

And looking back at your comment history...yeah, you may want to practice self-restraint. You seem to be generally fastidious.

Edited by klecser