Jump to content
MOB

RuneQuest Sample Combat

Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Sumath said:

This is Chaosium's opportunity to give clear guidance on this. A practical example of combat, including missile, melee, spell casting, use of bound spirits etc would resolve a lot of debates around the combat system, give reassurance to new (and returning) players, and act as a great advertisement for the game. Win-win.

Indeed! But I don't see it coming any time soon. Sadly. So many questions asked, so few answers. And most of the answers only add to the confusion. Basically we're told that we should handle things how we see fit, house-rule what doesn't make sense, etc. Not what I expected of a brand new edition after 30 years of insight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

In principle I agree, but the shaky editing of the combat rules (in some parts, it's downright bad, and Chaosium honestly should look at releasing a 1.1 version) means that we would probably have had an example that doesn't quite match the rules, and that would have increased the confusion.

I hate to agree but this is the reason why I have decided to pass on the physical book. RQG is brillant at places but quite mediocre when it comes to combat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, lordabdul said:
  • (It looks like the author thought that the Broo couldn't start doing anything until after its Base SR of 5? I don't think that's correct?)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Apologies for the constant editing of that one article, but I wanted to not leave an erroneous example.
You're correct here in that I thought that base SR was when people could start their actions. Phil Hibb's comments on my blog were a great help to realizing that error.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pointyman2000 said:

Apologies for the constant editing of that one article

Don't worry, I think we all appreciate you doing this -- and frankly most of us are as confused (at least at first) as you so that's very helpful.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pointyman2000 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Apologies for the constant editing of that one article, but I wanted to not leave an erroneous example.
You're correct here in that I thought that base SR was when people could start their actions. Phil Hibb's comments on my blog were a great help to realizing that error.

As @lordabdul says, thank you. I was worried you might get tired of us adding debating  and correcting your material ad nauseum. If you don’t mind editing, this pack of wild and wily grognards will give you edits. Anyway class way to introduce yourself. Thanks @MOB for bringing him here.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pointyman2000 said:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Apologies for the constant editing of that one article, but I wanted to not leave an erroneous example.
You're correct here in that I thought that base SR was when people could start their actions. Phil Hibb's comments on my blog were a great help to realizing that error.

Could you explain why the Broo doesn't strike in the first round please? I don't understand that. It should strike at SR5, then possibly at SR12 if it has the average spear SR of 7. What am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 9:27 AM, drablak said:

Could you explain why the Broo doesn't strike in the first round please? I don't understand that...

IIRC the Broo has no readied weapon, so it needs +5 SR's before it begins counting up its DEX SRs & weapon SR's.

The Broo also has to close range, which will take some SR's.

Whether "close range" and "ready weapon" can happen during the same SR's is IIRC always a GM call (I often see everyone assume it always happens that way, but believe that to be an error).

 

On 9/6/2019 at 9:27 AM, drablak said:

... It should strike at SR5, then possibly at SR12 if it has the average spear SR of 7. What am I missing?

Only ONE attack in a melee round, with a few specific exceptions:

  • Splitting an over-100% skill
  • Dual wielding
  • Firing missiles, not engaged in melee

And... I think that's it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g33k said:

IIRC the Broo has no readied weapon, so it needs +5 SR's before it begins counting up its DEX SRs & weapon SR's.

The Broo also has to close range, which will take some SR's.

Whether "close range" and "ready weapon" can happen during the same SR's is IIRC always a GM call (I often see everyone assume it always happens that way, but believe that to be an error).

Yes, but the example specifies that both can be done at the same time, so the GM in this case seems to fall on the 'can' side. Here's the quote:

Quote

The Broo readies the spear and runs towards Vasana. To cover the distance would need 3 Strike Ranks (1 for every 3 meters), but can be done at the same time as readying the spear, which takes 5 Strike Ranks. This means the Broo will have to wait until Round 2 before it can properly attack.

You're right though, that only lets the Broo close range and ready weapon (at SR 5), then it has to wait its weapon's SR to strike, so it would close at SR 5 and then strike at SR 12 assuming the average spear SR of 7 for a Broo.

2 hours ago, g33k said:

Only ONE attack in a melee round, with a few specific exceptions:

  • Splitting an over-100% skill
  • Dual wielding
  • Firing missiles, not engaged in melee

Oh, right! my bad. Only missile fire works that way.

I still don't understand why it can't strike in the first round, perhaps it has a non-average spear SR. Thanks for the clarification!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the hard work, and particularly for your willingness to let this crew advise, edit, and make suggestions.

I haven't read it through as I don't really use RQG mechanics (I think RQG combat sections are a bit of a dog's breakfast, unfortunately confirmed by the fact this is already a 2-page thread), but as a GM I'd already question the idea of 'slogging' through a swamp with a bow & arrow at the ready.  :)  I'd probably insist that the only weapon that could be readied in such a situation would be one handed, as you'd almost certainly need the other to help 'slog' through the swamp.  "Creeping through the woods" however, I'm totally with you then. :)

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, styopa said:

Thanks for the hard work, and particularly for your willingness to let this crew advise, edit, and make suggestions.

I haven't read it through as I don't really use RQG mechanics (I think RQG combat sections are a bit of a dog's breakfast, unfortunately confirmed by the fact this is already a 2-page thread), but as a GM I'd already question the idea of 'slogging' through a swamp with a bow & arrow at the ready.  :) 

You'd probably hold the bow in your left hand, as you don't want it to touch the liquid you are wading through. Having an arrow or two ready in your bow hand is possible, but I wouldn't do that unless I expect a target any moment now.

About 28 years ago I made the experiment to march with a rather full backpack (including a tent, sleeping bag and other stuff slung onto it on the outside, only missing the cast iron stove to complete the image of the complete adventurer), a hatchet and my (rather heavy) recurve barebow through the Midsummer midnight sun Norway fjell, off any marked route, with occasional passages of very soggy ground. It is perfectly doable - the bow was a lot more of a nuisance at steep and slick slopes.

le20CompAdvBothF-02.jpg

Quote

I'd probably insist that the only weapon that could be readied in such a situation would be one handed, as you'd almost certainly need the other to help 'slog' through the swamp.  "Creeping through the woods" however, I'm totally with you then. :)

The other hand is quite likely to hold a staff or a stout spear serving as a crutch or probe.

Edited by Joerg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lordabdul said:

LOL what kind of an expression is that? :D

One not to be confused with the dog’s dinner,  the dog’s life, nor it’s antonym, the dog’s bollocks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...