Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
steamcraft

Looking for a percentile RPG with a specific mechanic

Recommended Posts

I am trying to find and RPG that is percentile. I have not had luck finding it, so I thought maybe someone on the d100 games forums might know. 

You assign attributes. Each skill is correlated to some attribute. The attribute rating is the base chance in a skill. You can then add points to skills resulting in your overall chance of success. For example, you might have Dexterity at 15, so everything with DEX is at least 15. Then, you have 20 in Gunnery, giving you a 35% skill in Gunnery. While I am thinking of uses the entire attribute rating as the base, not a certain percent of the attribute rating.

At first, I thought it was WH:40K, but that is not it. Eclipse Phase does have this mechanic. However, character creation is very long with a lot of points to spend. While it may be Eclipse Phase I am thinking of, I feel that what I had in mind.

So, is there another RPG with the mechanic or just EP?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are D100 systems which calculate basic skill chance as multiples of attributes, which then are increased by experience. There is just one value, though.

Does it have to be the straight ability score? A derivative bonus (or malus) is calculated from basic attributes is common to the D100 systems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, steamcraft said:

... Eclipse Phase does have this mechanic. However, character creation is very long with a lot of points to spend. While it may be Eclipse Phase I am thinking of, I feel that what I had in mind...

EP's supplement "Transhuman" adds a "bundled package" mechanism that streamlines a LOT of that long-chargen & vast point-spend.  I think their new 2e makes that style the default.

It still implements the same mechanical effects, but does so more quickly/conveniently.

Any chance you were thinking of Transhuman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies.  It does need to be the actual attribute value. 

I read the game around 2011-2012, so not EP 2E.  It might be Transhuman I suppose.  That was 2013 which seems a little late.  I don't have it saved in my usual PDF folder either. 

I was reading many percentile games.  It is possible that in remembering, I am just mixing a few things together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many of the newer D100 games do this, but with 2 Characteristics.So, a skill might have a base of STR + DEX and then be increased by Previous Experience to have a skill.

 

Legend, Mythras and Revolution do this, I think OpenQuest does, but am not sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, steamcraft said:

I am trying to find and RPG that is percentile. I have not had luck finding it, so I thought maybe someone on the d100 games forums might know. 

You assign attributes. Each skill is correlated to some attribute. The attribute rating is the base chance in a skill. You can then add points to skills resulting in your overall chance of success. For example, you might have Dexterity at 15, so everything with DEX is at least 15. Then, you have 20 in Gunnery, giving you a 35% skill in Gunnery. While I am thinking of uses the entire attribute rating as the base, not a certain percent of the attribute rating.

 

 

 

Year of the Phoenix did that, although I think attributes started a bit higher than 3d6. the Chill RPG did that as well, as did the old Star Frontiers RPG, although both of those use % based attributes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a perfect fit, but what you're describing sounds more than a bit like Unknown Armies, a D100 derivative that owes considerable inspiration to BRP.

!I!

Edited by Ian Absentia
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ian Absentia said:

It's not a perfect fit, but what you're describing sounds more than a bit like Unknown Armies, a D100 derivative that owes considerable inspiration to BRP.

!I!

I second this... sounds a lot like Unknown Armies, specifically pre 3rd edition.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies.  It was none of those.  I was likely just mixing up Eclipse Phase with other games.  However, my main reason for finding the game was research.  So I at least have a few games to go look at that I have not looked at before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took a look at the link.  Thankfully enough, the preview was character creation.  Based on that, it does not look like that mechanics I am after.  It says to assign points to attributes.  Then you get 3 times that many points to allocate to skills underneath that attribute.  It is an interesting mechanic, but not exactly how I described. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...