Sartar politics in 1626

Gallowglass

19 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Even a simple decision like "let's bring the timeline forward to 1625 for RQG" effectively "sets in stone" a certain metaplot storyline like Kallyr's rebellion and the Dragonrise, which has some grognards complains about because it didn't happen that way in their 25 years-old games.

Yeah, there's not much to be done when you're moving a plot forward that has been more-or-less static for a couple of decades. You are definitely damned if you do and if you don't. In that case, you might as well be damned for doing and hope that some of the old fans will come along for the ride.

The "lesson learned" should be that if you keep the plot moving, people can follow it at their own pace. If you the plot is static too long, people will move it forward themselves and will likely be annoyed rather than excited when the story does jump forward again.

Edited by Shawn Carpenter
omitted a word
  • Like 1

It is one Campaign. If Chaosium bring out the Great Argrath Campaign, or whatever it is called, then I hope people mine it for ideas. some people will run it as it is, some people will take ideas from it and some people will ignore it.

As long as it isn't the only thing that Chaosium bring out. If they bring out other campaign packs then everyone can use them and be happy.

With the Jonstown Compendium material, there should be lots of scenarios coming out, anyway.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

On 2/2/2020 at 4:52 PM, Shawn Carpenter said:

The "lesson learned" should be that if you keep the plot moving, people can follow it at their own pace. If you the plot is static too long, people will move it forward themselves and will likely be annoyed rather than excited when the story does jump forward again.

Also, if things get published at a brisk pace, that reduces the risk that it will be yet another publisher-abandoned Sartar campaign (we have enough of those already).

• 3 years later...
On 1/28/2020 at 11:59 AM, Jeff said:

Regardless, the Runequest Campaign, which covers 1625 to 1655 (plus and minus a few years as well) is in the works. Its origins predate the Pendragon Campaign and informed and inspired that, Boy King, and the Grand Pendragon Campaign. It's been present in the background of all Gloranthan publications since before Runequest itself and bringing it out is a top priority for the next year.

I am dying to see this in print, but obviously it has fallen by the wayside in favour of other publications. Is it still in the pipeline and if so what is the new estimate? It is a shame that this was announced four years ago and still no sign of it. I realize that publishing books is a different business model and hard copy is its own beast, but I am still greatly disappointed that although it was your personal favorite thing to work on, it has not seen the light of day. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, Phil O'Connor said:

Is it still in the pipeline and if so what is the new estimate?

Hi Phil -- they are still working on it but you're right, they decided that projects like Cults (5+ years in development), the Sartar Book / Box and the refreshed Guide To Dragon Pass needed to come first as a foundation. Then they can build up from there. If they get clear roads and nimble art direction it could come pretty fast on the heels of those products. I also can't wait.

singer sing me a given