Introducing the Jonstown Compendium: community creator program for Glorantha (RuneQuest/HeroQuest Glorantha)

MOB

On 9/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Artwork is always a challenge with projects like this. The Miskatonic Repository has an easy option as there's a lot of out-of-copyright Victorian images out there that can be cribbed. And while we have loads of talented artists in the Gloranthan community, it's never easy to ask someone who's trying to make their living as an artist to give their work away for nothing.

Of course, as a setting with a bronze/iron age theme, it can be possible to use ancient artwork and sculptures to liven things up.

The British Library has a flickr of various pieces of public domain art and such which may be of use.

Edited by Tindalos
  • Like 3

On 9/11/2019 at 12:16 AM, Tindalos said:

Of course, as a setting with a bronze/iron age theme, it can be possible to use ancient artwork and sculptures to liven things up.

The British Library has a flickr of various pieces of public domain art and such which may be of use.

I'm sure we can find a use for this:

image.png.07a04fec17c84758303ad1bcd848c78b.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/10/2019 at 2:34 AM, lordabdul said:

What about conversions of old RQ2 adventures for RQG?  (converted NPC stats, general notes and remarks, etc.)

The Jonstown Compendium does not permit creators to update or convert scenarios or stat blocks from existing works published by Chaosium (nor does the Miskatonic Repository) – if you're interested in doing that, we advise you to email us about such things as a pitch via the Chaosium submissions page. However, a sequel (or even a prequel) would be possible, provided it has more original content than the previously published content that is referenced.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:22 PM, g33k said:

Is the "exclusivity" clause materially the same across all these DTRPG fan channels, such as DM's Guild? 

Yes

16 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

So the rules are basically DTRPG's rules, rather than Chaosium's? Nice to know. It didn't make sense to me that Chaosium specifically didn't want obscure existing material to be made available.

Correct.

21 hours ago, David Scott said:

Looking at DTRPG, it generally talks about creating new stuff. So if you have something that you've previously written and update it to RQG, give it a new cover add some more value to it with some of your art, change it's name you're probably okay. Personally I would then add the "portions of this product were published in XXX in (date)" for clarity.

Such an approach would be absolutely fine.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I'm sorry, I didn’t hear you, I was in the bathroom getting another towel for my drool.

For whom the bell tolls...

(Or have you fallen asleep again in that rocking armchair of yours, old-timer?)

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 9/10/2019 at 9:06 AM, Jane said:

Right, I'm taking the combination of this and the "play a game in October" thing as a personal challenge. I haven't run a F2F game in far too long. Lost my nerve when I had that breakdown, but if I can stand up and deliver a talk to an audience, I can do this. Playtest as the F2F thing (assuming I can get players), then the scenario to go out here. It'll probably be pretty much systemless (it was when I ran it at Continuum a while back), but if I haven't thrown "In Pavis Fair City" at you by Xmas, feel free to nag.

Best of luck, Sounds great and I wish I could join you!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

23 minutes ago, Crel said:

Will the Compendium include an update to the Gloranthan Runes font, to include the technique symbols for those who wish to produce sorcery content?

If not, there's always the SVG versions:

https://runequest-glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Runes

File:Rune summon.svg File:Rune tap.svg File:Rune separate.svg File:Rune dispel.svg File:Rune command.svg File:Rune combine.svg

I did a bit of work on some of the other runes as well, adding detail to some perfectly straight edges.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2019 at 7:06 AM, Crel said:

Will the Compendium include an update to the Gloranthan Runes font, to include the technique symbols for those who wish to produce sorcery content?

There's a font for this? Where can I get a copy?

Certified old gamer weirdo. Proud papa of a daughter that games.

On 9/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, PhilHibbs said:

Artwork is always a challenge with projects like this.

Which is why I ended up creating about 144 images (sketches, diagrams, maps etc.) for my fan book... 

Imagine it wouldn't be impossible to create an image library of (fairly free) images for use for Jonstown Compendium publications?

On 9/16/2019 at 7:25 AM, PhilHibbs said:

If not, there's always the SVG versions:

https://runequest-glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Runes

File:Rune summon.svg File:Rune tap.svg File:Rune separate.svg File:Rune dispel.svg File:Rune command.svg File:Rune combine.svg

I did a bit of work on some of the other runes as well, adding detail to some perfectly straight edges.

There was a Goranthan font at one point that had a lot of extra stuff... Was that the HeroWars font, and didn't it have some of these at least?

SDLeary

36 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

There was a Goranthan font at one point that had a lot of extra stuff... Was that the HeroWars font, and didn't it have some of these at least?

SDLeary

My folder "runefonts" has eight different TTF files in it, complete with the PDFs that explain them, dating from 2004. I got them as free downloads (somewhere!), and would be happy to pass copies on, but I have no clue if they obey all the legal requirements for use here.

20 minutes ago, Jane said:

My folder "runefonts" has eight different TTF files in it, complete with the PDFs that explain them, dating from 2004. I got them as free downloads (somewhere!), and would be happy to pass copies on, but I have no clue if they obey all the legal requirements for use here.

Waaaayyyy back when, a lot was stored at soda.berkeley.edu. I want to say that it was on the old Issaries web site, but can't find the correct font on Glorantha.com right now.

SDLeary

2 hours ago, SDLeary said:

SDLeary

I don't think there is a font that contains the sorcery technique runes, if there was then I imagine Chaosium would have used it for the RQG rulebook instead of bitmaps for those six.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

I don't think there is a font that contains the sorcery technique runes, if there was then I imagine Chaosium would have used it for the RQG rulebook instead of bitmaps for those six.

I haven't seen the Chaosium rules since they had actual Arabic in the back and the smell of the old storage facility (second edition?), I had no idea they used sorcery runes!

Also, is there any reason those aren't also at https://glorantha.fandom.com/ ?

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

On 9/16/2019 at 3:06 PM, Crel said:

I've started work on the next version of the Glorantha Core Rune font and it will contain the sorcery techniques and the Cold Rune. No date for release yet.

Currently the font copyright doesn't allow inclusion in the Jonstown Compendium. I will get this updated ASAP.

(The rune font suffered a hiatus when my main hard disk crashed with a screaming grinding noise. Sadly my Windows XP virtual disk in my backup was damaged and that was where my main font tool lived. After much work, I've binned my old tool and am migrating to a new one, but it will take me a while to get used to it. However it means that the Core Rune font will get an update and the three other glorantha fonts in the pipeline can be restarted.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/